Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Given that my nana is from North Wales and due to my affection for the Dragons because of the famous LP, I must admit that I smiled when I heard that Wrexham AFC was promoted back into the Football League.

If you don't know, there is a whole TV show called Welcome to Wrexham that is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sebzilla posted:

Love too play my spreadsheet simulator at a realistic pace of one game day per real life day

(Actually I've thought for a long time that that would be quite a fun LP/live stream thing to do. Log on every day, hit continue once and deal with some bits of admin, play games in full, really go all out on the slow gaming thing.)

Nah, the match engine processes my time advances pretty fast and I have it set to every league. It’s warned you about the same limit for a decade now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sub Rosa posted:

If you don't know, there is a whole TV show called Welcome to Wrexham that is really good

I saw that when I heard about Wrexham being promoted, but I'm not interested in watching.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
This game gets me every year, there's nothing like it.

Last year I started out with a lowly Serie C team (AC Trento) and eventually won the champion's league with them (over Aston Villa so it barely counts but still) after about 12 years of working them up. Escaping Serie B was the hardest part.

This year I picked a third-tier Norwegian team (Lyn) and have gotten them into Norway's top level. Last season I even won a few champions league qualifying matchups before exiting an making it to the Europa knockouts, where Lille finally got me. I made north of $10m, which means I finally have a transfer budget above $250k and a payroll north of $3m. A new season is about to start (albeit without many of my transfers in, because Norway plays such a weird schedule, and I won't see my purchases until July or August but whatever.)

There's just nothing like figuring out a tactic, then bringing in players for it and watching your team figure it out. I haven't seen my family in 6 weeks.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

IMB posted:

There's just nothing like figuring out a tactic, then bringing in players for it and watching your team figure it out. I haven't seen my family in 6 weeks.

I got the game on official launch day. Played it for a stupid amount of hours since. I've hit the point where my brain is telling me to give it a break. I've managed to take Cork City to the Championship, and I need to do the off-season for that, bringing in players of the required quality. It's such a massive step it's daunting. And now I know I have to be in the right frame of mind for it. Which I don't know will be when. I almost need to take a holiday to clear out the crud FM has built up over the past few weeks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In my game I was invited at the start of the season for my team to be filmed for a documentary. I said ok, then at the end of the season it just said that the documentary was a success. That’s it.

I have no idea what the impact was and there was no indication during the season that there documentary was ongoing.

It’s the laziest possible implementation of something topical. I wish they wouldn’t do this patronizing poo poo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just had one of the easiest FA Cup runs I've ever seen as Manchester United.

Third Round: Bournemouth 2-0
Fourth Round: Charlton 3-0
Fifth Round: Hull 4-2
Quarter Final: Brentford 4-1
Semi Final: Wolves 5-2
Final: Newcastle 5-0

The fix is in, obviously. Big thanks to Newcastle for taking out Liverpool in the semis and Man City in the quarters.

e: also lmao Diego Simeone got sacked from Man City three days after winning them their first Champions League (beating Real Madrid 4-1 in the final) presumably because of their 6th place finish in the league.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 28, 2023

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Vegetable posted:

In my game I was invited at the start of the season for my team to be filmed for a documentary. I said ok, then at the end of the season it just said that the documentary was a success. That’s it.

Any sign you got any money for it - like, increased TV revenues for the season - or a club reputation boost at least? That seems like it would be easy enough to implement. Seems pointless otherwise, like you say. (Which club was this at, out of interest?) I'd imagine your players 'media handling' attribute would determine how successful it was, but who tf knows.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

IMB posted:

I signed the perfect striker for my tactic in the Vanarama South and he’s got 7 MoM awards, a 7.53 average rating, and 13 goals in 11 games. He twisted his ankle and now we suck. Noooooo

I’m doing a counter wing play tactic that produces a lot of goals but I can’t seem to work out why sometimes I end up with, like, 30% possession and fifty zillion shots. If we could hang onto the ball longer…

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

sebzilla posted:

e: also lmao Diego Simeone got sacked from Man City three days after winning them their first Champions League (beating Real Madrid 4-1 in the final) presumably because of their 6th place finish in the league.

Managerial sackings (and suitable replacements being appointed) is something they’ve never really been able to crack for some reason. They’re always a bit weird and take me out of the game, to the point where I sometimes resort to using the in game editor to correct something egregiously dumb

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 28, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Answers Me posted:

Managerial sackings (and suitable replacements being appointed) is something they’ve never really been able to crack for some reason. They’re always a bit weird and take me out of the game, to the point where I sometimes resort to using the in game editor to correct something egregiously dumb

I had to get rid of the Head Coach of the Romanian national team in my save because the dude had an everlasting contract but was utterly atrocious. I think they got relegated to the bottom group of Nations League, and finished Euro Qualifying below Malta in their group.
Despite them having a pretty good team.
They hired someone a lot better to replace him.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Just discovered there's a bug with the player introductions; if you ask one of your players to welcome a newcomer, the new signing copies their personality instantly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Finally I can realize my dream of a full squad of players that lack confidence in themselves

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Pipski posted:

Any sign you got any money for it - like, increased TV revenues for the season - or a club reputation boost at least? That seems like it would be easy enough to implement. Seems pointless otherwise, like you say. (Which club was this at, out of interest?) I'd imagine your players 'media handling' attribute would determine how successful it was, but who tf knows.

My initial thought was it might change the "supporter profile", that you get shown at the end of the season, or something equally meaningless.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sell Antony to Bayern for £100M
Beat them 6-1 in a friendly
Buy Musiala from them for £88M

A good week

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pipski posted:

It was at Arsenal. It had no impact on club reputation or TV revenues or club supporter profile as far as I could tell.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

One thing I kinda think needs to happen is that they should scrape CA and familiarity with tactical roles. They should move towards a more straightforward reliance on attributes.

Imagine a player who has like 17 for finishing, composite, off the ball, acceleration and pace. The game makes it possible that:

1. Their CA is low so they’ll just arbitrarily perform like poo poo, never get described as world-class, be undervalued by the AI in the transfer market and deteriorate much more quickly when out of form.

2. They have high familiarity with the false nine role but low familiarity with the advanced forward role, so they’ll need to spend a lot of time retraining and underperforming in the meantime.

In the real world, top players are constantly being retrained for new positions based on their attributes these days. Kyle Walker got converted into a centerback, Julian Alvarez learned to be a midfielder and Bellingham became a forward. The world doesn’t model that flexibility enough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As far as I know the only things the AI use CA for are determining playing time and contracts. Unless that's changed in the last couple versions which I haven't played.

You can see it in action if you change a player's attributes with the ingame editor, set him to "Freeze Attributes" and change his CA to be much higher or lower than the attributes say it should be. The player with a CA that the attributes say should be 140 but you set to 170 will be paid and played like a star by whatever AI team has him, and vice-versa. Though they do also take form into account somewhat, so the player whose attributes add up to 170 but you set his PA to 140 may still play a lot because he's always in Good Form.

100% agree with you about position/role familiarity though. Particularly the part where training a player in a new role majorly fucks up his attributes because of it eating up a bunch of CA points. It should have been decoupled from CA years ago.

It's worth noting though that especially if a player has high Versatility, you can play him at unfamiliar positions and he won't play much worse. I think it's simply a straight penalty to Decisions, unless that too has changed recently.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
As I understand it CA/PA only exists to provide a delta to drive stat development, the figure itself does nothing in the match engine.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Vegetable posted:

One thing I kinda think needs to happen is that they should scrape CA and familiarity with tactical roles. They should move towards a more straightforward reliance on attributes.

Imagine a player who has like 17 for finishing, composite, off the ball, acceleration and pace. The game makes it possible that:

1. Their CA is low so they’ll just arbitrarily perform like poo poo, never get described as world-class, be undervalued by the AI in the transfer market and deteriorate much more quickly when out of form.

2. They have high familiarity with the false nine role but low familiarity with the advanced forward role, so they’ll need to spend a lot of time retraining and underperforming in the meantime.

In the real world, top players are constantly being retrained for new positions based on their attributes these days. Kyle Walker got converted into a centerback, Julian Alvarez learned to be a midfielder and Bellingham became a forward. The world doesn’t model that flexibility enough.

CA has no bearing on in game performance at all, it is just a budget for how many points a player has to distribute amongst their attributes.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've got my Celtic Nations Database up and running again for FM24. The structure is similar but there has been some changes. And a few other things were streamlined as well.

If you want to play with the Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish and Scottish teams all in one league system just let me know. We'll figure out a way of getting the file to you.

Also, I'm planning on releasing this to the general public at some point, so feedback about balance and issues would be really appreciated.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
FM promises system in "working reasonably" shocker:

So I'm doing my usual new save chores of "firing most of the existing staff and replacing them with better" and "renewing players who are uncomfortably close to expiry" - and one of the players asked for a promise of "improve first team staff" as part of their renewal, which I was happy to give because I was doing it anyway.

But as the staff signings go through while the player sits on the contract offer (Everton and some other PL relegation battlers were sniffing about), I get worried that I'll get hosed over by the timing and be judged against the new staff rather than the old, only to find that as soon as the player signed the renewal I got a message with credit for fulfilling the promise? Cool and good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i never promise players poo poo anymore because it’s always been more trouble than it’s worth

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

We played 3 matches in September...

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Did they ever address that weird behaviour where in a single season, there'll be 1 or 2 teams you play like 8 times?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The things where your cup draw is always a team you play right before or after the cup match if at all possible, and also always a rival if at all possible, has been in FM forever.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

so... no?

drat.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
SI's response - when they've bothered to answer the complaint/query - is that it creates more drama when you have these back-to-back fixtures.

In this case, eh, it's Porto. It was either going to be them or Benfica and I hate both options.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
You're going to need to buy another football team just to play the matches that your team will be too exhausted to even consider.

During my youth, I once played six full matches in one calendar week. Granted I was the keeper, but I could still barely move after.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Fixture congestion is absolutely a thing. Teams with deep cup runs, across multiple cups, league games to play, and long runs in Europe are constantly complaining about it (looking at teeth-man Klopp.) It's a cliche from fans when a team goes out of Europe saying, "Good! Now we can focus on the league with non-tired players." Deep squads has been the trick to some of the lower league management in FM for years, and resting players. Being able to play a quality team during fixture congestion when the AI refuses to rotate or rest.

I agree having multiple games against the same team across cups and leagues can sometimes be a problem. As is situations where the scheduling will give you three league games in April and seven in September. Having lots of games to play—if you do well across a lot of competitions—is 100% a real life issue, though. It's not just an FM thing.

Also... I have a blog explaining my Celtic Nations Leagues database. I've had a few eyes on the DB by now and the basic issues should be sorted. https://lumpkickersanonymous.wordpress.com/2023/12/12/celtic-nations-league-a-new-database-a-new-rival-to-the-premiership/

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Fixture congestion is way way easier to deal with in FM than in real life, because in FM you can just have two fully stocked 11s of first choice caliber players plus a few playable injury backups stashed on the under-23s, where in real life you can't. Partly because young players in general are far more playable in FM than they are in real life (making it easier to have good players on your second 11 who don't yet require a lot of money and minutes), and partly because players don't get pissed off about only playing half the matches in FM the way they do in real life. When I'm running a team that makes deep cup runs every year, even most of my backups get enough playing time to be satisfied with Regular Starter status.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've known about the mid-season slump for years, and how the game recalculates how the teams react to you based on how you're performing in the league. I'm convinced SI has added another "re-calculate" point about ten games out from the end of a season (46 game league.) Three years in a row now, in the championship, ten games out my form just tanks.

In the third season I deliberately changed tactics a couple of times over the season to see if it was teams "figuring out" my tactic. One experimental tactic (I lost a lot), one direct ball (more wins than losses, but nothing unreal), one good one (definitely more wins than losses.) The idea being if I'd used three tactics "the opposition" shouldn't have as much information to figure me out. That did not work. I used my main tactic for about the last eighteen games, the one I know gets wins. About ten games out the tactic just failed. Four draws in a row, then four losses. I changed back to an average-winning tactic for the last two games. I won both of those games despite the opposition having the majority of match momentum, XG and chances. One with an injury time goal.

This game is so loving stupid at times.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
This is the link to my Celtic Nations League database, on the FM forums. It's playable, a couple of people have looked at it and played with teams. I think I've caught most of the big bugs.

https://community.sigames.com/forum...-in-one-system/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Here's a FM 2024 key (for the official website, not steam), I ended up with an extra one. It should work but no guarantees!
FM24E-XDPBW-CKJDW-86QXP

e: I think the code is taken

distortion park fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 6, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Always enjoyable when a team fresh off a treble is offended at your unrealistically ambitious expectation that they should be able to challenge for the league this year.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Eric the Mauve posted:

Always enjoyable when a team fresh off a treble is offended at your unrealistically ambitious expectation that they should be able to challenge for the league this year.

I always save scum those end of season/pre season talks. They're bullshit so I don't feel bad about it.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Eric the Mauve posted:

Funnier still is that there usually is no right answer.

"We're in for a fight next season; so get ready to put in the work."

<<WHAT? YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN US?!?">>

Hm.

"You know what, boys? I think we can stay up, next season."

<<WHAT?!? HOW **DARE** YOU PUT THE KIND OF PRESSURE ON US.>>

Hmmm...

"We might need to bring in some faces to compete next year, so be ready."

<<HOW. DARE.>>

fffff.....

"Let's curl up into a ball, and forfeit next season. Everyone still gets paid."

<<DON'T YOU BELIEVE IN US?>>

I honestly say as a little as possible at this point, and take the small hit for not making promises.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
They always come after the board expectations so I just pick the team talk aligned with board expectations, works most of the time.

If the board expectation was "title challenge" rather than outright win, just roll with that, even if you expect to walk the league.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
The scariest part of the Goon multiplayer league was not being able to savescum the team meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Obliterati posted:

The scariest part of the Goon multiplayer league was not being able to savescum the team meetings

for me it was always registration day.