Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Humbaba posted:

Should have said technique. He's coaching shooting.

Are you talking about on the screen where you tell the coaches their individual coaching jobs? That's workload and can be decieving. A guy with literally 1 in Technique coaching can somehow end up with 4 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any opinions on if its worth the upgrade over 15, or should I just dl the latest transfer pack in January.

Too early to tell?

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
So I checked to see what average numbers of offsides are in the Premier League this season. According to whoscored, the average number of offsides for a team per 90 minutes is around 2. Charlie was averaging 4 on his own. So yeah, something was weird there.

re: coaching

Yes, I mean 4.5 stars on the coaching screen where you assign roles. Scholes is 4.5 stars and there's also a 3 star coach in the same category so they have an average workload, which is listed at the bottom. My understanding is that the star rating displayed there is based on the coach's stats. For Scholes and shooting that would be technique, attacking, determination, level of discipline and motivating (these should be listed if you choose the coaching role on Schole's profile page). In addition to star rating, there's workload which is a factor of how many players that coach is actually coaching and can be reduced by adding additional coaches to a category.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Hmm a few days ago there was a post on the Match Engine Issues forums about the offside thing but it's gone now. Dunno if that means they fixed it last night or they dismissed the claims.

It's not PPMs btw, basically every attacking player is doing it right down to FB-A.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hmm a few days ago there was a post on the Match Engine Issues forums about the offside thing but it's gone now. Dunno if that means they fixed it last night or they dismissed the claims.

It's not PPMs btw, basically every attacking player is doing it right down to FB-A.

Guaranteed that means they've dismissed the claims and will finally do something about it in the third patch by making it so no one ever tries to break the offside trap

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm also managing QPR, and Charlie Austin isn't offside that much. The most common stat I have is once per game.

http://i.imgur.com/NrimZET.png

e: linked big image

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 11, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's fixed now. Dodgy backpasses are still in.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

A bug or Man United learnt how to play in the dark to have an advantage?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That one's definitely your tactics mate.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That one's definitely your tactics mate.

:eyepop:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The ME last night was reverted to early FM15 in many ways, if this is basically just final FM16 until January now then I feel kinda cheated really, I'm pretty shocked. After 2 weeks of having something fresh and diferent, after the patch I literally had to plug in one of my old retarded FM15 super direct tactics to then watch a match play out like it did in early FM15, they've upgraded direct passing, and nerfed defenders ability to track runs. Full backs are fully retarded again and backpost crosses are deadly, how many times must we go through that. All feels a bit deja vu.

e: Apparently there will in fact be more ME patches, guess they weren't happy with this "Release Candidate" either. I've never logged onto a game to see it regress in such a way before.

ee: They've posted about wanting little teams to scare the big teams and that's fine but it doesn't mean Sunderland should be doing 10+ high quality fergie counterattacks every game. It should still be possible for a team to just get herded into their own box and euthanised like in real life Miles.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Really good post here where a guy posted lots of screens about fulbacks and their defensive shape, and the mods actually admitted it's an issue that needs looking at, that's pretty rare on those forums.

http://community.sigames.com/showth...Defensive-Shape

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 12, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Guess I'm not getting it a while longer.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I actually thought the initial beta release was ok, I didnt see a tonne of wonky engine stuff which is unusual but i've not really had chance to play for a few days.

The poo poo fullbacks have been a problem for years now.

It wasn't FM15 but either 14 or 13 where they were horrendous for multiple patches, they used to constantly get ratings of 4s or 5s. About the time when wing backs suddenly became the only solution in game

Even last year they weren't good, they just drift inside and narrow all the time, the only way you can them to close down is by giving them an attacking mentality so they start higher up the pitch.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That's what I mean I say it's deja vu. It's literally those old problems popping up again in full force, which peaked in FM14 at the start, IIRC? I've even gone back to relying on Wingbacks to defend better than Fullbacks do, that rings some bells.

It's being obfuscated by the fact that their ratings are still too high. Also the biggest problems it causes is in exposing your CBs and letting them take the blame basically.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 12, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

In case people think I'm just being a bitch about suddenly losing or something, I realised what was up in the first match of the new save I made for the patch, and set Origi up at LW to waltz past these retarded defenses and do whatever he wants, since it's all so, so familiar, check out his PL stats he's the best player in the league right now. Of course Sturridge and Bentekkers scored about 2 goals between them in those 9 matches, since the fullbacks are so fascinated with them, but got about 8 assists combined passing to the wing. My problem is how much more fun watching matches was just a few days ago. :smith:

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 12, 2015

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Now that the editor is out, I've remade my American Premier League file. Anyone want to test it out?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Where's the cheapest place to buy it?

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
You can get 15 percent off at Green man right now, don't know if that's the cheapest though.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=92098750495037537884

Also available on Steam Workshop:
Description:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=554739585

This is a first release of the American Premier League file. This is designed to allow folks to play American teams without the salary cap management and general pain that MLS rules create.

Sixty Four teams are in this first release:

20 MLS teams in the American Premier League (B teams not allowed)
20 NASL/USL teams in the American Championship
24 NASL/USL teams (including B teams) in the American Challenge Division.

Prize Money and TV money in the top two leagues, life in the Challenge Division offers limited prize money and results based money (more if you win, but a little bit even if you lose).

Also included is a 64 team US Open Cup, featuring all 64 league teams.

This file will be updated with changes (I hope to add a fourth division, and expand the Cup competition.)

Comments and suggestions are always encouraged.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'll be honest, not a fan of the way Jumping/Natural Fitness swap places between the full Player Attributes screen and the mouse-over preview.
If it was intentional, it's poo poo design, and if it's an error, it's really lazy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

I'll be honest, not a fan of the way Jumping/Natural Fitness swap places between the full Player Attributes screen and the mouse-over preview.
If it was intentional, it's poo poo design, and if it's an error, it's really lazy.

It's all alphabetical. Long Throws jumps down below Technique on one of the screens when it gets abbreviated to Throws.

It's bad.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

It's all alphabetical. Long Throws jumps down below Technique on one of the screens when it gets abbreviated to Throws.

It's bad.

That's insanely dumb

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I tried this over the weekend and they still haven't fixed players chasing after the ball when it's rolling towards a teammate. Seemed to be a bit less waiting to be tackled and falling over, though.

Still not buying it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

I tried this over the weekend and they still haven't fixed players chasing after the ball when it's rolling towards a teammate. Seemed to be a bit less waiting to be tackled and falling over, though.

Still not buying it.

Honestly it's like a day before release they jacked up the "human error" element of anything to do with closing down the ball or which man a player thinks he should mark.

To test this set your guys to minimum closing down settings and watch them on full match for a few minutes, you will see them do bizarre close downs they have no business doing and you know you didn't tell them to do, they just don't want to retain a logical shape or let the better positioned guy do it instead.

That's the biggest thing, even when 2 players should have it covered in tactical terms, and the third player should cover something else. They just go for the ball!

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 17, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Honestly it's like a day before release they jacked up the "human error" element of anything to do with closing down the ball or which man a player thinks he should mark.

To test this set your guys to minimum closing down settings and watch them on full match for a few minutes, you will see them do bizarre close downs they have no business doing and you know you didn't tell them to do, they just don't want to retain a logical shape or let the better positioned guy do it instead.

That's the biggest thing, even when 2 players should have it covered in tactical terms, and the third player should cover something else. They just go for the ball!

Buy players with lower workrate. It's a trap stat.

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
I was having quite a lot of fun with the beta, since the release candidate its been poo poo. Fed up losing the same goals over and over. Now I remember why I always used to wait until after January to play it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MarsMattel posted:

I was having quite a lot of fun with the beta, since the release candidate its been poo poo. Fed up losing the same goals over and over. Now I remember why I always used to wait until after January to play it.

Yeah it was beautiful to watch for 2 weeks wasn't it, what a bizarre loving beta test, absolutely pointless since we only got to test this bizarre release candidate for like 1 day of "It's your tactics mate" and the new "the game is more statistically accurate now".

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
Yep, the beta version was great. Even if I got beat it felt fair, and like I had some control over it. Now its the opposite :/ Playing a game where I started unemployed was 6 games off the end of the my 2nd full season and in the CL spot, then the RC came out, I think we ended up about 6th. No wins in the last 6 games, definitely my tactics.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

So my right back is taking a throw near the corner flag ... and the game engine decides that the left back should be moved to the right back position :confused:

It doesn't just shuffle the remaining defenders across to fill the space, it just puts him completely out of position. Of course when the opposition breaks downfield, it doesnt just shuffle the defence back the other way, the centre backs stay static and that guy tries to make his way from one side of the pitch to the other to tackle the right winger.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 20, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Well. The game was made "more statistically accurate" in that patch. (Jozy xG DZSiBoT) You may struggle to unsee it now, pay attention to your fullbacks heh, there's a lot more bizarre cases than this.

Some people are saying 3 at the back results in far more logical defense AI at the moment but I haven't bothered testing that.

e: If you just instant result and that kinda playstyle, honestly this is a huge upgrade over 15 don't let me ruin it for you. The problem comes when you're tracking your and the opponents shape while actually watching matches. It's also something they had right in a previous iteration.

After all it happens to your opponents too. Meh. I'm done for now anyway. Hopefully it's sorted by Christmas.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 20, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

e: If you just instant result and that kinda playstyle, honestly this is a huge upgrade over 15 don't let me ruin it for you.

How's 16 an upgrade on 15 outside the match engine seesaw, people who took the plunge?

I'm one of those Mostly Instant Result people and kind of on the fence myself: the Big New Features aren't terribly convincing but I've tried the demo and I actually like a lot of the UI changes (especially to match instructions, it now looks a lot more clear what some of those instructions actually do and I might actually be encouraged to play more matches by the new version if they fix the shape issues).

edit: granted it helps that the Canadian Steam store inexplicably has a 20% discount over the US when current exchange rates are factored in.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 21, 2015

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

I've persevered with 16 because I'm enjoying the changes and I got attached to all my Youth Team produced youngsters. I'm playing as Toulouse, I don't know if they have some amazing academy or something but there's a ridiculous amount of top notch youngsters coming through, I've sold one to Chelsea after he started acting the oval office, and have been knocking back bids from Real, Barca et al for others that haven't even started a game for me. So I was enjoying the game except for the match engine changes from Beta to Release.

I hit rock bottom with the ME after having a match where I had 65-70% possession, 2 shots on goal (both off target) and lost 1 nil, 2 games in a row. Decided to do something completely different and changed to 3-1-4-2 and changed a lot of team instructions for the last half a dozen games of the season. That included beating the 1st place team and PSG 4-2 in those last games so I thought I was on to something. Finished 10th last season after that (League 1 is tight so it could have been about 14th easily) & predicted to finish 5th this season. In the new season I've played about 15 games with 0 defeats & 2 draws, the last game I played last night was beating PSG away 3-2 after being 2-0 down. Most common result is probably 3-2, I have somehow unwittingly become Kevin Keegan and its glorious.

Edit: one new thing, I think its new anyway, is being able to protest your board selling players. E.g. Liverpool came in with 22m for my captain and the board accepted, then I protested and they backed down. And speaking of Liverpool they're somehow 20th in the prem after about 12 games and have just hired the Stoke manager so that could get interesting...

MarsMattel fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 24, 2015

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

I like this addition.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I got game

edit: losing 4-1 to Spurs in the cup now. I deserve this (manager shaved off the tache).

sassassin fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 29, 2015

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bea Nanner posted:

I like this addition.

It is cool and good. I also noticed that when managers move clubs, they often take their coaching teams with them. Finally.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
40 points after 19 games, then lost to Spurs twice more after the cup defeat (5-1 final score) and now haven't won in 6.

Haven't had this many problems with form turning to poo poo after half a season for a few years.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Real Madrid sold Pepe to United on the last day of the Jan transfer window, along with them selling Nacho 2 weeks earlier, leaving them with Ramos and Varane as their only two senior CBs...

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Found a pretty good article on Reddit about the origins of FM at the Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!