Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shroud posted:

Found a pretty good article on Reddit about the origins of FM at the Guardian.

Lol at the photo of Miles trying to look like Roy Keane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I know I'm probably too late for em, but are there any good deals on this anywhere? $70 for Australians, gently caress me

texasmed
May 27, 2004
You might have some luck with the key sites. I've used cdkeys.com because they take paypal, I hear kinguin and g2a are also good. I think a lot of those sites will have it for around $40 usd. Also I guess the winter Steam sale is coming, but I forget if the newest FM game goes on any kind of sale for that since it's less than 2 months after release.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
It's £34.99 at Greenmangaming, and there's a 20% off coupon (20PERC-DECMBR-SVINGS) to make it £28.

Would expect it to go on sale during the Steam Winter sale.

You can often get it really cheap from lower league clubs, but they seem to by physical copies which doesn't help you much!

https://twitter.com/OxCityFC/status/669155252332060672

Also, £20 quid at Tesco currently http://www.tesco.com/direct/football-manager-2016-pc/290-9124.prd?skuId=290-9124&pageLevel=sku

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I have only ever bought the game on a steam winter sale, and it's always at least 40% off at some point of the winter sale. They're doing it differently this year with no flash sales or one-day bonus deals so I dunno if it'll just sit at %33 or %40 off and never dip down to 50, but it's still cheaper.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this game has a fantastic sense of humor

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
That's so unrealistic.

No way are Chelsea playing Premiership football next season.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Fernando is moving on up.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012
is the new version playable yet?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Lurgy posted:

Fernando is moving on up.

Adebayor got signed by FC Dallas in the Spring of 2016 in my save.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
1. What's the deal with the praise conduct interaction? Is it just a free two-step boost to player morale that you can use around once a week? I imagine I'll be careful using it on my less disciplined players who receive cards and whatnot down the line.

2. is there any mod that makes the sign boards on the 3d match engine a little more realistic? It seems it's pretty much SI related ads and Movember. This could be related to my playing in the Vanarama South still.

3. Do yall manage your youth squads manually? I've always felt it's not worth the time playing the extra games, but my U18 manager is apparently a moron and I wonder if my young players are not getting the right amount of game time, or might be being overworked.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 15, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Well my things that work IRL don't work in this iteration it seems. I'm playing 442 as a conference regional side with limited defenders/full backs, wide midfielders on support, a ball winning midfielder on support and a central midfielder on attack. Poacher/target man up front. Doing all the stuff that makes sense for a poo poo team with fast strikers like stick to positions, pump ball into box, take a breather, etc, and making minor adjustments here and there. Also have an alternate tactic with a defensive DM that I'm using for when the odds are way against us. Doing awful. Do my poo poo players just need more time to get familiar with the formation?

Alternatively could someone just give me a guideline for what works at lower league in this version since I'm not a football scholar. I don't like to use premade tactics but I am definitely not knowledgeable enough to do things like make adjustments based on the oppositions formation, I only adjust based on strength of the opposition or home/away.

Also, do you not need to designate playmakers and target men anymore? I can't find it anywhere in tactics.

And did they remove the thing where your assistant would give you tactical advice mid-match? Like "There's too much space between our midfield and attack." That was really invaluable to tell you in what area you need to adjust your tactics. Can't find the tab.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 16, 2015

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What level is your tactical familiarity? How much freedom do you give your players? I haven't played LLM in 16 but if I did, I'd look to those two first.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mandalay posted:

What level is your tactical familiarity? How much freedom do you give your players? I haven't played LLM in 16 but if I did, I'd look to those two first.

I give them as little freedom as possible and familiarity is bad, since we just started. I imagine the other teams also have low levels of familiarity this early in the season though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

THE PWNER posted:

And did they remove the thing where your assistant would give you tactical advice mid-match? Like "There's too much space between our midfield and attack." That was really invaluable to tell you in what area you need to adjust your tactics. Can't find the tab.

That advice has always been counterproductive bullshit. If your short passing is working it suggests going long ball because your accuracy is good.

Limited Defenders are bad. Limited full-backs are worse. There is no need to use them unless a specific player is far worse than the average level for the league you're competing in. They are all long-ball merchants/aimless blasted clearance gurus.

'Take a breather' is a low-effort shout used for maintaining condition when a game is already won. Players stop making forward runs and don't make tackles. Why are you using it?

BWM-S isn't a holding player role. It closes down aggressively and gets involved in build-up play. You need a holding player in a 4-4-2 unless you do something funky with CB/FB relationships (FB ai is hosed in this version so don't try it).

If you did preseason right familiarity should be up around Accomplished by the time the season kicks off. I don't know how hard it is to do things properly at Conference level, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
code:
         GK-D
FB-S  CB-D  CB-D  FB-D
WM-S  CM-D  CM-A  WM-S
      TM-S  P-A
Standard/Flexible/No Instructions

Make small changes as necessary after a couple of league games when your team knows what it's doing and you do too.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
It's ok guys I set every possible cross-encouraging setting and now my guys are suddenly making chances

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Sassassin is completely right about the limited roles. I have literally never seen anyone say "setting my player to a limited defender did the trick". Don't ever use those unless your player has 1s for all his attributes.

For tactical familiarity, you have to get it ready during the preseason, otherwise you're screwed for half the season.

The best things you can do are the following:

Set Match training (the slider) all the way to the left (More Match Training)
Set Match preparation to Match Tactics
Schedule at least 10 preseason matches, with a match every third day

For a morale boost, schedule an extremely weak opponent for the last friendly before your competitive season begins.

Once the season begins, move that slider from the first step back to the middle.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I started a QPR save in pre-release and won the Championship in the first season (aka about a week after the pre-release opened) and came in 7th in my first season in the Premier League. Tactics were a 433 and a 4231 with roles set generally to what my players were most comfortable with. And then, around release or a week after, it all went to poo poo. I went from scoring 2 or 3 goals a match to scraping 1 goal. This was with better players, too. I think this is down to match engine changes since my tactics didn't drastically change. Am I alone in seeing this, or is it just a reflection of Premier League teams starting to take me seriously?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Humbaba posted:

I started a QPR save in pre-release and won the Championship in the first season (aka about a week after the pre-release opened) and came in 7th in my first season in the Premier League. Tactics were a 433 and a 4231 with roles set generally to what my players were most comfortable with. And then, around release or a week after, it all went to poo poo. I went from scoring 2 or 3 goals a match to scraping 1 goal. This was with better players, too. I think this is down to match engine changes since my tactics didn't drastically change. Am I alone in seeing this, or is it just a reflection of Premier League teams starting to take me seriously?

I think there was a patch around then that messed up a lot of people's tactics (and fullbacks).

Alternatively, other teams may have recognized you as a threat and gone for the counter. If that's the case, try slowing down play a bit and reducing the number of attacking roles.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
New patch out. 16.2.

THE PWNER posted:

familiarity is bad, since we just started

fix this first imo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
One of the worst things about FM is that you have to have your tactic settled from the first day to prevent your players from donkeying about when the season starts. Pre-season should be for tinkering and playing with stuff stress free, but instead any changes you make are detrimental so you just kick off and do something else for the whole game (and pray no one gets injured).

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's funny that this:

quote:

Improved defending of full backs who were tucking in inappropriately
Improved behaviour of backline when deciding to cover out of position players

Wasn't a problem for the 2 weeks of beta, it was a problem the day before the actual game released when we got the "real" version piped into our buttholes while they told us it was our tactics. What a bizarre testing process. Oh well I can play again now.

Next time when the playerbase says the beta is great maybe they shouldn't drastically change it and then release that suddenly, I feel like that wasn't a beta at all, just a pre-order incentive. They really struggle in taking feedback.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
All I want from this drat game are clean sheets. In my 16 league and cup matches so far, I only have 5, and the number of games with only 1 goal scored is 1 (lost 0-1). It's maddening when I want to grind out boring victories and the game is giving me tons of goals. I'm playing defensive and flexible with a low tempo, short passing, possession oriented style, and almost every match ends up a victory 3-1 or 3-2.

I'm hoping it's just because it's my first season and my poo poo players don't know what I want to do with the system. I've been following this FM15 tactic here and I think I've brought in the right kind of players to fit the style. I do get torn up on the wings playing 3-4-3 but I'm used to that from playing 3-5-2 in previous FMs. Only 25% of my conceded goals have come from crosses, so I'm not even pissed about that.

edit: My tactic familiarity has been super slow to rise because we're part time, so that sucks balls too. Got it up to about 70% so far though.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Mandalay posted:

New patch out. 16.2.

fix this first imo

So I may have just played 5 matches to test the new engine...

Dnipro 1-2 QPR
Everton 2-3 QPR
Norwich 2-1 QPR
QPR 6-3 Lech Poznan (This was bonkers. Went down 0-2 then scored 6 straight and gave up a third goal in the 88th minute.)
Spurs 1-1 QPR

3-1-1 is a drat sight better than what I've been seeing.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Humbaba posted:

So I may have just played 5 matches to test the new engine...

Dnipro 1-2 QPR
Everton 2-3 QPR
Norwich 2-1 QPR
QPR 6-3 Lech Poznan (This was bonkers. Went down 0-2 then scored 6 straight and gave up a third goal in the 88th minute.)
Spurs 1-1 QPR

3-1-1 is a drat sight better than what I've been seeing.

Patch fixed your lovely tactics. I can get behind that.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Just wanted to mention I did finally find a mod that puts realistic advertisements in stadiums. Still downloading it because FM mod download sites.

http://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/24591/fm-2016-ad-board-patch-released-on-10122016

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Wasn't a problem for the 2 weeks of beta, it was a problem the day before the actual game released when we got the "real" version piped into our buttholes while they told us it was our tactics. What a bizarre testing process. Oh well I can play again now.

I'm convinced that they have absolutely no idea how the match engine actually works and each patch/release is them just tweaking random numbers to hope for the best.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm pretty amazed how loving oblivious I am about football tactics, despite playing CM/FM for 15 years, watching thousands of matches, and playing in hundreds of matches.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ragingsheep posted:

I'm convinced that they have absolutely no idea how the match engine actually works and each patch/release is them just tweaking random numbers to hope for the best.

Not far off. They also don't know what attributes do what because the coders just use them wherever they feel like as they go.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I started a new game, did absolutely terrible for the first 4 or 5 matches, then the second our captain who was injured in pre-season gets back, we start completely destroying every game. Okay thanks FM.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm starting to feel like I'm finally getting the hang of the match engine, and how to utilise stats and assistant feedback to get back into games. I'm still complete dogshit at away matches but am getting there slowly. Guide to Football Manager has been pretty invaluable in helping me understand how the match engine works, in particular.

What do I do when my assistant is complaining about the amount of space the opposition is getting in our penalty area? It usually happens when I'm attempting a counter-attacking formation and I don't want to put pressing on higher.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fire your assistant.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You obviously know why the problem is happening and you don't want to change anything because your team is working to a specific strategy you decided to implement. There's nothing to fix (unless you are wrong and the lack of pressing is going to lead to a humiliating defeat).

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Thanks for that - I'm starting to get the impression that the assistant feedback is more harm than good in most situations. I appreciated you mentioning that they'll start suggesting long balls if pass completion is high, that's something that never occurred to me and yet another example of how infuriatingly counter-intuitive FM can be.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Adrianics posted:

Thanks for that - I'm starting to get the impression that the assistant feedback is more harm than good in most situations. I appreciated you mentioning that they'll start suggesting long balls if pass completion is high, that's something that never occurred to me and yet another example of how infuriatingly counter-intuitive FM can be.

Your assistant is basically going to tell you to do the opposite of whatever your chosen tactic is. Want a high line? Your assistant will tell you there's too much space behind your defence every time. Want to play defensively with a deep line? Your assistant will tell you there's a gap between your defence and midfield. Short passing game? Your assistant will encourage long passing since your pass completion is high. Want long passing? Your assistant will recommend you substitute your deep lying playmaker because he's misplacing some long through balls.

Ignore your assistant's advice unless it's related to pre-match complacency or player morale imo, since those are things you can't tell by looking at the match engine.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Adrianics posted:

I'm starting to feel like I'm finally getting the hang of the match engine, and how to utilise stats and assistant feedback to get back into games. I'm still complete dogshit at away matches but am getting there slowly. Guide to Football Manager has been pretty invaluable in helping me understand how the match engine works, in particular.

What do I do when my assistant is complaining about the amount of space the opposition is getting in our penalty area? It usually happens when I'm attempting a counter-attacking formation and I don't want to put pressing on higher.

If you have a successful home tactic then just make a slightly deeper version with more direct passing and a higher tempo, and have more conservative roles, like S or D fullbacks instead of A and a DLP instead of a Regista. Tweak to taste and you got an away tactic.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Even better, do an arsene and only ever have one tactic, for home and away

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Went completely mental at this, not going to lie.

Then I wondered what my reaction would be if the AI won like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
Is fm on mobile any good? I'm never really home enough to play on pc anymore and was thinking about taking a punt on it.