Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I started a game with Uniao Madeira in the Portugese PL, and I'm loving intrigued. They sell 100 season tickets in their first season and average huge, 900-strong crowds. I was so curious that I googled the population of the island which is 250k, so it's not that. Jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

I started a game with Uniao Madeira in the Portugese PL, and I'm loving intrigued. They sell 100 season tickets in their first season and average huge, 900-strong crowds. I was so curious that I googled the population of the island which is 250k, so it's not that. Jeez

Maritimo is the traditionally bigger side on the Island, probably not enough interest for two teams?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Madeira? Should be a piece of cake.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Green Eyed Loco-Man posted:

Maritimo is the traditionally bigger side on the Island, probably not enough interest for two teams?

Nacional is the second club in Madeira. Union is the third, which is actually pretty good for a 250k population island.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I've never capitulated quite like this before in FM. From 2nd with the best defence in the league to not winning a game for 6 months until we got away with a lucky away win. From dominating every game to the same tactic being completely useless no matter what I changed. gently caress.

I think I'll sell my wingers and full backs next season and just try a 3-5-2 with everything in thru the middle.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Are wingers supposed to be poo poo now then? My Aml/amr are still playing great.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Also is this guy a random stat lottery win or someone that we should all be buying? He was free just after the second winter break (Feb 2017 I believe) from a Brazilian club and is now (two months after that screen shot) in the running for world player of the year. He's single handedly restored my faith in the box to box midfielder. He's just such an all rounder he has no glaring weaknesses. He's a bit short but that's it. Meanwhile he has amazing ball winning stats and backs it up with both stamina and good enough offensive stats to make chances / always be dangerous.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 20, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Masonity posted:

Also is this guy a random stat lottery win or someone that we should all be buying? He was free just after the second winter break (Feb 2017 I believe) from a Brazilian club and is now (two months after that screen shot) in the running for world player of the year. He's single handedly restored my faith in the box to box midfielder. He's just such an all rounder he has no glaring weaknesses. He's a bit short but that's it. Meanwhile he has amazing ball winning stats and backs it up with both stamina and good enough offensive stats to make chances / always be dangerous.

With 20 determination he looks like the kind of youth player that gets given monster hidden mental stats by club researchers who want to have wonderkids when they play their own team, and therefore develops into a superstar after a few years.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah I doubt he's getting any better. But then as a world player of the year nominee he really doesn't have to in order to be an absolute monster for the next decade.

I'm hoping a big bid comes in though. I'd rather play regens. I have a few in my u21 and out on loan who I want to give a chance next season. This year I'm using an 18 year old striker who has scored roughly a goal a game. England gave him a 3 minute end of game debut too... and he scored. My next captain, an 18 year old attacking midfielder, has also replaced ozil this year. The only real player I'll be keeping us Neymar because he cost me 140 Mil. I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Masonity posted:

Are wingers supposed to be poo poo now then? My Aml/amr are still playing great.

Nah they just stopped working for me. I think a big problem with my wingers is that they can only play AML/AMR and not ML/MR, so I can't drop them further back into midfield when I need to. The new role suitability stuff in this version rather than just position suitability is really making versatility way more important than ever before.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

THE PWNER posted:

Nah they just stopped working for me. I think a big problem with my wingers is that they can only play AML/AMR and not ML/MR, so I can't drop them further back into midfield when I need to. The new role suitability stuff in this version rather than just position suitability is really making versatility way more important than ever before.

The what? Positional familiarity works exactly the same as it always has.

There are star ratings, but as they are just assistant advice they should be ignored at every opportunity.

Low positional familiarity only effects the Decisions attribute of a player, so if it helps your shape feel free to play whoever you want wherever you want. It doesn't make much difference if their other attributes suits the job you want the player to do.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I kind of wondered why I couldn't find anybody with good star ratings at roles like Complete Forward or Half Back in the conferences. I select them anyway and the forwards still get goals, so I don't really care.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I must be thick, but the "Rules" aren't helping me much :

"
Vanarama National League :
Loan Rules :
Maximum of four domestic-based players allowed on long-term loans from the same club in a season
Maximum of two domestic-based players over 23 allowed on long-term loans from a team in a season
Domestic-based players are allowed to go on short term loan to the same club for a maximum of 3 months during the season
Emergency goalkeepers can be signed at any time during the season
Long-term loans must end in a valid transfer window for players in this divisision
"

Is the difference between club and team supposed to be meaningful?
How many players can I have on loan in total (is it on a match-per-match basis, or is it like a quota, or can I just play with loanees all season)?

The rules are (more or less) understandable, but they seem to leave out the most important rule.
A quick look at the real rules shows that I can :
- have a maximum of 5 loanees in the team sheet,
- loanees must come from teams that are part of the English FA structure,
- at most 5 loanees during the season can come from the same club, the 5th (in order of signing) must be a youth loanee who is under 21,
- at most there can be 12 registered short-term loanees during the season, and not more than 2 at the same time can come from the same club,
- at most there can be 8 registered long-term loanees during the season, 4 over 23 and 4 under 23, and not more than 2 can come from the same club,

There's some more stuff about what exactly a short-term loan is, a long-term loan is, a youth loan, an emergency loan, a work experience loan (??) and they cover the last 3 points in the FM rules pretty much in spirit (not quite exactly, but I don't care).

Now, I can see that this might be a bit annoying to code/implement, but I'd really like to know if it's worth signing more loanees or not, and what restrictions exist on playing them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

texasmed posted:

I kind of wondered why I couldn't find anybody with good star ratings at roles like Complete Forward or Half Back in the conferences. I select them anyway and the forwards still get goals, so I don't really care.

The roles are just instructions, and while attributes do have an effect on players ability to follow those instructions (low workrate will limit closing down, low flair will limit risky passes etc.), there is no separate penalty applied to a player that doesn't fit the archetype for the role. Star ratings are as always just an approximation filtered through a fallible-by-design assistant ai intended to help players who don't know what they're doing (and have no intention of learning).

Pick roles based on what is best for the team and your style of play. Assigning all your players their "best" roles is missing the forest for the trees.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
So if you have a talented but inconsistent player are you just doomed to him under performing in half the matches or can you somewhat manage that by giving him a role off the bench. Making him save his magic for fleeting moments on the field instead.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I couldn't upgrade my training facilities and I'm pretty sure it's because my team didn't own their stadium. Then we built a new stadium, great news! But my training facilities are still listed as the old stadium and I still can't upgrade them:

Does this mean the now-biggest club in portugal is doomed to train at a shithole 2nd division stadium forever?

This is still FM 15

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

8bitlawd posted:

So if you have a talented but inconsistent player are you just doomed to him under performing in half the matches or can you somewhat manage that by giving him a role off the bench. Making him save his magic for fleeting moments on the field instead.

If he's good enough at best I'd start him every game and haul him off after 45 if he's garbage.

Ideally you'd give him a non-vital role so your whole gameplan doesn't fall apart if he's off form (so not your lone playmaker if you use one).

Consistency can improve with plenty of games and a run of form.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I remember having a striker in a version of FM years ago who was completely hot and cold. On a good day, he'd get 12-15 Dribbles and a couple of goals each game. I think his record was something like 21 Dribbles in one game.
When he wasn't playing well, he was utterly hopeless.
Over the course of a season, he got 20-25 goals with an average rating of 7.1 or something.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

sassassin posted:

The roles are just instructions, and while attributes do have an effect on players ability to follow those instructions (low workrate will limit closing down, low flair will limit risky passes etc.), there is no separate penalty applied to a player that doesn't fit the archetype for the role. Star ratings are as always just an approximation filtered through a fallible-by-design assistant ai intended to help players who don't know what they're doing (and have no intention of learning).

Pick roles based on what is best for the team and your style of play. Assigning all your players their "best" roles is missing the forest for the trees.

I thought those roles actually meant something beyond "has good statistics in this area," I guess the games still super simple at its core but they added all of this poo poo that actually has no bearing on the game.

It would be great if my backup players who clearly aren't good enough for first team football would not always ask to first team football 2 months into every season. I have to replace my bench every season because of this. Even the loving 19 year old reserve 0.5 star players who just graduated from the u19's are doing this.

But the best thing by far is when players on non-contracts, or out of contract, do this. Like, what kind of leverage do you have, exactly?

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 23, 2015

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I find most players respond positively to "prove yourself in training" or "[player name] is in the form of his life", I haven't yet encountered my old favourite "I don't really care to be honest, I just want to leave". Really, I just think there needs to be some nuance involved in the conversations, the second a player reacts negatively it becomes either "gently caress YOU SHITHEAD ENJOY TRAINING WITH THE KIDS" or "I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO IMMEDIATELY RELENT TO YOUR DEMANDS".

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
If they do that maybe they could also make it more obvious what "reluctant"/"cautious"/"aggressive"/"passionate" means.

[Passionate] "I'm bringing you on for the last five minutes in a 3-0 win, just don't mess everything up."

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I tend to save-scum most player interactions unless I'm just spam-complimenting good training performances or conduct. So far in my save I've been telling players wanting playing time "it's a long season" and it works, but I fear what will happen once the number of games left starts getting pretty small.

Also I still don't understand why they had to make those interactions 4 times more complicated with all the passionate / assertive etc.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Never, ever give one of the 'rallying cry' team talks when you're near the end of a successful season and in line for promotion/Championship, I once save-scummed just for shits and giggles and literally every option pissed off the majority of the team.

I have also never experienced any kind of practical or noticeable difference between using the different tones.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 23, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I just want some backup/rotation players of sufficient quality who won't mind their squad status, but unless they're a whole division worse than what you need, they're gonna complain.

On a positive note, it feels good snapping up newly-retired coaches and scouts with amazing stats when they don't have a reputation yet. I just shook up all of my staff and it was surprising how many world class staff were available.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 23, 2015

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
That's at least pretty realistic, isn't it. Who's happy as a bench warmer in real life? Not many players. Unless compensated very well, footballers want to play.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

jyrka posted:

That's at least pretty realistic, isn't it. Who's happy as a bench warmer in real life? Not many players. Unless compensated very well, footballers want to play.

It depends. The game doesn't seem to consider, say, a start every 3 or 4 games and regular sub appearances with any sort of weight. There are plenty of players in situations like that who would rather continue with it than go down a league.

For example I've got a 'rotation' player who finished the season with 14 starts and 23 games off the bench and he's been complaining all season.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

okay since this apparently is NOT part of the steam sale for the first time in at least 4 years that I can remember, is there any place with an active discount on 2016?

I now mostly regret not using any of the previous discounts I suppose, but I figured it'd be $20 on the xmas sale like usual and I prefer to pick it up when the bugs are at least half ironed out.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You could try one of GMG's standard coupon codes, they usually work.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Very comforting that the one constant that's existed since I started playing way back with CM97/98 is back again: Being 2-0 up at half-time is absolutely the worst place to be. The opposition will come at you like a bat out of hell and will, will, get a goal back at some point between the 60th and 70th minute then equalise just before or just after the 80th. Feels completely inevitable and literally nothing I do stops it. Every single time.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 23, 2015

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I've spent the entire FM16 season so far trying to play defensive football and keep clean sheets, and various things work okay. Counter attack mentality is pretty good, and a wide partnership on each side works to keep crosses under control.

Normally I try to resist copying people, but I stumbled upon this guy's Atletico Madrid emulated style that plays a defensive 4-4-2, and surprisingly to me I've kept clean sheets in about 75% of the matches since completely ripping it off. I originally thought that not having a defensive midfielder in front of the defense was gonna be leaky, but that's definitely not the case and the advantage of central midfielders is that their mentality is a little higher to help on the attack. I admittedly was lucky in my save by starting off looking for defensive minded players, and starting with a counter attacking mentality that made the switch to defensive easy. I think that going from a fluid control tactic straight to this could be rough.

I don't think I've played a good side that tried to take over my central midfield like a 4-3-3 could, but it's overall performed great for keeping the score low.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Adrianics posted:

Very comforting that the one constant that's existed since I started playing way back with CM97/98 is back again: Being 2-0 up at half-time is absolutely the worst place to be. The opposition will come at you like a bat out of hell and will, will, get a goal back at some point between the 60th and 70th minute then equalise just before or just after the 80th. Feels completely inevitable and literally nothing I do stops it. Every single time.

The most dangerous scoreline

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Adrianics posted:

I dunno it doesn't make it harder when you can do it yourself it's just gamey bullshit, switch tactic to a more offensive version while they are celebrating and wow you solved the football puzzle.

It's gotten a lot better lately but still needs the Jan patch.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 24, 2015

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Meh, each new version comes out, and each time it's pretty much the same problems for LLM...

I'm playing in the Northern Irish leagues (loaded up all the UK leagues & a small DB to get a feel for the game), and the number of players that are at the top of this league that have retired young is just too high. The league's "best player" (runner up the previous season) retired aged 22 to become an assistant manager (still unemployed), whilst a player who was 2nd and 3rd best young player in consecutive years decided to stop aged 20...

I get that players who aren't paid at all might retire young so they can pursue a career, and even in some cases that players who are paid very little might make the same choice. But given how under-funded the league is, my best guess is that anyone playing after 22 is in it more for the sport than the cash, since it's obvious that unless they make the jump to the professional leagues by then they'll never make a huge salary.

The problem is that a lot of players seem to receive a hidden boost to their wage demands as their reputation grows, which clubs in Northern Ireland aren't ready to pay. So they become free agents. Yet as they're not great footballers the only levels they'd be comfortable playing at (Conference national-ish for all but the very best) only wants to give them part time contracts, which they turn down because it would be too expensive to move for anything less than a full time contract.

In the real world, either these players would take the dive and move to somewhere they can play at a higher level, even if it's only part time, or they would accept the wages they're offered by top Northern Irish clubs, and definitely not remain unemployed for six months then retire.

For a LLM game this kind of breaks the illusion of a "realistic" world, which is a pity. This issue has been in FM for donkey's years, and I can't imagine it's hard to code a solution into the game.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I've been dominating the MLS for a decade in my 2015 save. Now I'm just screwing around with insane formations. Currently in leading the league with a 3-5-2 where the 5 is four attacking midfielders and a DM.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

LLM sucks, it's easy and just a huge slog of exploiting FMs flaws.

But they should fix the overall reputation system which causes hundreds/thousands of various little issues. It needs to be split into multiple stats for one thing. Also needs to be far more fluid and volatile.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Seems like no matter how well our finances are doing my board isn't going to give me proportional wage budget increases. Got promoted, immediately went 15 mil into the green from prize money/tv money/sponsorships etc, and my wage budget increases from... 4.5mil p/a when we had 100k in the bank, to 5mil after.

Basically every player up to standard demands a wage we can't possibly afford.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

THE PWNER posted:

It depends. The game doesn't seem to consider, say, a start every 3 or 4 games and regular sub appearances with any sort of weight. There are plenty of players in situations like that who would rather continue with it than go down a league.

For example I've got a 'rotation' player who finished the season with 14 starts and 23 games off the bench and he's been complaining all season.

I'm not really experiencing the same problems with my occasional starters. Yes, it happens from time to time, but you seem to be complaining about a more chronic issue.

Do you have their squad status as first team or something? Or would they actually start for your rivals of a similar reputation? Are they internationals for some random country? Is their personality "very ambitious"?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

THE PWNER posted:

Seems like no matter how well our finances are doing my board isn't going to give me proportional wage budget increases. Got promoted, immediately went 15 mil into the green from prize money/tv money/sponsorships etc, and my wage budget increases from... 4.5mil p/a when we had 100k in the bank, to 5mil after.

Basically every player up to standard demands a wage we can't possibly afford.

Did you get a transfer budget? Pump some of that into wages.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

Did you get a transfer budget? Pump some of that into wages.

That doesn't always work. I've been in a situation where I've had all my money towards wages, still had 30 Mil in transfer budget and had wages over budget but been entirely unable to adjust it further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah the opposite too, I've actually had the board give me all my transfer budget as wage budget, and not let me convert it.