Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
For people waiting for a decent sale, green man gaming currently has FM 16 for $30 after their coupon code(XMAS20-PERGMG-SVINGS), which is the cheapest I've seen and the price I wait for every year before buying. Have yourself a subtly incrementally improved FM christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Telex posted:

okay since this apparently is NOT part of the steam sale for the first time in at least 4 years that I can remember, is there any place with an active discount on 2016?

I now mostly regret not using any of the previous discounts I suppose, but I figured it'd be $20 on the xmas sale like usual and I prefer to pick it up when the bugs are at least half ironed out.

Ye same, I usually get it just before xmas when they've released 1-2 patches, but this time it doesn't seem like it'll be on sale anytime soon.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

joe football posted:

For people waiting for a decent sale, green man gaming currently has FM 16 for $30 after their coupon code(XMAS20-PERGMG-SVINGS), which is the cheapest I've seen and the price I wait for every year before buying. Have yourself a subtly incrementally improved FM christmas

sweet, thanks for the heads up! I'll pull the trigger at $30.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Ha! The game just got a 25% discount with the server tick.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 25, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's actually on sale on Steam today (25% off in the US at least).

I'm still playing my Monaco game in 15. I managed to make it back to the Champions League final (and swept the domestic league and cups) but lost to ManU in a depressing way (down 1-0 until 80 mins then made it level then in the last 5 mins they made it 4-1). Now I have an offer from Leverkusen to take over and I'm not sure if I want to jump. Both clubs are similar rep now but Bayer's budget is slightly smaller so I'd be moving mostly for the challenge. Monaco has been good to me but I feel like I've won everything so what would I do with them next except try to keep winning with the same team as last year?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

and now i'm trying to download lots of GB's of logos and kits and facepacks on a 1.5mbit DSL connection.

game will be playable by Monday maybe.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Assistants are fairly useless with bad stats, and with a competent player they aren't necessary, but if you can get an old italian man with a high tactical knowledge rating, their advice is pretty good and you can usually trust it (within reason), same with team talks and high motivation.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I do like having an assistant with very high Ability and Potential judgement to ask about players, not their view of the general ability but because they will tell you about hidden things, injury proneness, consistency, etc.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use one with high tactical knowledge and judging ability for setting my opposition instructions

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Protip: Never, ever use opposition instructions.

But if you do never ever let the ai set them.

Have fun watching your centre backs charge out of position to close down amcs and showing every winner inside.

If your tactic doesn't work without them your tactics sucks and you should change it.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I haven't used OIs in fm16 so far, just seems terrible to actually make a tactic where I've tweaked each position to act a certain way, and then use OIs to overrule them.

I used OIs a lot in fm15 though, shutting down opposition wingers/amcs seemed kind of op.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I'm still plugging away on 15, is 16 a must have or would I be safe in waiting for a steeper drop in price (or rather, 17.)

Outside of designing an ugly manager I don't see the point in buying, especially since the match engine was broken again after the beta progress.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sassassin posted:

Protip: Never, ever use opposition instructions.

But if you do never ever let the ai set them.

Have fun watching your centre backs charge out of position to close down amcs and showing every winner inside.

If your tactic doesn't work without them your tactics sucks and you should change it.

I've done well with it so far but I'll try not using them and see. I have noticed that if I ask a staff member with weak stats then they cook up all sorts of crazy poo poo which obviously would get you hosed up.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also I have noticed that in my save, TNS in the welsh premier are nearing 100 game unbeaten :pwn:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

julian assflange posted:

Also I have noticed that in my save, TNS in the welsh premier are nearing 100 game unbeaten :pwn:

It's not a real league, don't worry.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sassassin posted:

It's not a real league, don't worry.

It's just interesting as because of it (I think) their rep is boosting I think, they are getting more and more mentions in the press

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 26, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've seen the new rating guidelines for the January update. Leicester players are going to be fully sick, but not as good as Liverpool who have their own special band that allows their stars to be amazing despite being poo poo irl.

Swansea are getting big deductions but that's hardly a shock.

Looks like the PL overall is getting upgraded.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What about Wilshere who has incredible stats despite nobody ever seeing him play more than three games in a row?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Arsenal and City are the top band so will have the strongest squads and best players. No one will get downgraded, especially if they've been injured a lot.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

sassassin posted:

I've seen the new rating guidelines for the January update. Leicester players are going to be fully sick, but not as good as Liverpool who have their own special band that allows their stars to be amazing despite being poo poo irl.

Huh? What's with Liverpool?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Pl head researcher is a Liverpool fan so when they decide how good each team will be in the database Liverpool are always way better than their league position implies (which is the normal metric).

In January their "star players" will be as good as anyone in the league and their squad average only below the top 4. There's a huge drop to the next band of teams which now includes Leicester. Coutinho will be 10 ca points higher than Mahrez.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
lol not too surprised. Did the same thing happen with Arsenal a few versions back? I remember everyone was always complaining about them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ragingsheep posted:

lol not too surprised. Did the same thing happen with Arsenal a few versions back? I remember everyone was always complaining about them.

The arsenal thing was their youth players always had sky high potential, even though their academy is second rate.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

The Pl head researcher is a Liverpool fan so when they decide how good each team will be in the database Liverpool are always way better than their league position implies (which is the normal metric).

In January their "star players" will be as good as anyone in the league and their squad average only below the top 4. There's a huge drop to the next band of teams which now includes Leicester. Coutinho will be 10 ca points higher than Mahrez.

Good.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

sassassin posted:

Coutinho will be 10 ca points higher than Mahrez.

:lol:

Why would they not change an obviously flawed system?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm not sure how new it is since I hadn't played since 13 I think, but the scouting in this version is pretty cool. Actually having to build up your knowledge base instead of being able to search every player from the beginning gives you an extra thing to aim for. My scouting team of 22 only cover 32% of the world, so I assume we're missing some wonderkids somewhere.

One nice thing I've realized is that you can use the filter "assistant's opinion of current ability" and if he has high judging CA, he will filter lovely players for you even if you haven't scouted them.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 27, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Walcott gets a 5 weeks injury *Considers retiring due to injuries*

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I still can't get over how ugly the managers look. I know FM is supposed to be playable on a huge range of machines (and that's good), but man

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah some of the tracksuits are loving great but the faces are just horrible.

I looked at the FM Base tactics forum to see what people are doing these days and it seems they're having the most success with tactics that have no DM, not even a CM-D or anything like that. :confused:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Lowtax posted:

I still can't get over how ugly the managers look. I know FM is supposed to be playable on a huge range of machines (and that's good), but man

They're too cheap to hire anyone with graphics experience. Like the writing and ui stuff it's all handled by coders.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Fat Lowtax posted:

Can you go and look at your manager in the game? I created a really ugly one, but can't find him other than the face showing up.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah some of the tracksuits are loving great but the faces are just horrible.

I looked at the FM Base tactics forum to see what people are doing these days and it seems they're having the most success with tactics that have no DM, not even a CM-D or anything like that. :confused:

Aren't most of the "good" shared tactics just match engine exploits?

I tried one a few versions ago, called "diablo," and it was just a straight up exploit that made you win every game 10-0 regardless of how bad your squad was. People loved it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm having good success with the same formation I use every version, 4231 with a flat back 4, DLP-S and BWM-D, IF-A AP-A IF-A, and an advanced forward. Proper defensive midfielders are crap

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

Aren't most of the "good" shared tactics just match engine exploits?

I tried one a few versions ago, called "diablo," and it was just a straight up exploit that made you win every game 10-0 regardless of how bad your squad was. People loved it.

I don't really agree with that - I always use the top fmbase tactics 1-2 months before the release of the new fm to try and get as many achievements as I can, and up till now, over 5+ FMs I've only ever used 1 tactic that was insta-win (I can't remember which FM it was, but those 3 striker formation tactics were amazing!)

On the other hand I can understand why some people would be against the 'ME exploit' tactics, but if used after you've had all the fun you can with the game it definitely adds a few more weeks worth of play-time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A tactic build on solid footballing ideas will always do well in the match engine.

Most of the difficulty comes from how deliberately confusing and misleading the labelling is. Once you work out what the buttons really do it's not hard to overachieve.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm having good success with the same formation I use every version, 4231 with a flat back 4, DLP-S and BWM-D, IF-A AP-A IF-A, and an advanced forward. Proper defensive midfielders are crap

Defensive midfielders get bad ratings in this years game, but the ratings don't matter if the scoreboard shows the right result.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I came up with my first actual good tactic that at least shows some semblance of basic understanding. 4-1-2-2-1 with 2 AMCs, a deep lying forward, wide midfielders cutting inside and fullbacks providing most of the width. Basically the DLF picks up long balls, holds up the ball, gets it out onto the full backs and a cross comes in with the AMCs and WM's in the box. The striker hardly scores and our goalscorers are all over the place, but its working super well. We have a pretty insane cross completion rate of 40% because we just have so many guys in the box that its impossible to mark all of them.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 29, 2015

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

Defensive midfielders get bad ratings in this years game, but the ratings don't matter if the scoreboard shows the right result.

theyre crap irl too!

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

So I just signed a "good" regen winger without realizing he has a 1 for workrate, yes folks that's right a loving 1. What on earth does the match engine do with that, does he just stand around all game?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Fat Lowtax posted:

So I just signed a "good" regen winger without realizing he has a 1 for workrate, yes folks that's right a loving 1. What on earth does the match engine do with that, does he just stand around all game?

Beats me. Start him and watch the full 90 mins (in Prozone view) and tell us what he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Lowtax posted:

It means he won't close down unless he just happens to be near the man with the ball. Its a defensive attribute.

Getting involved in play generally is - perversely - Aggression. There is grey area overlap between the two because the coders sing from their own inconsistent hymn sheets, but the official definition of Work Rate is that it's the Pressing attribute.

In certain systems low workrate is a good thing. Train him as a Raumdeuter or something. How is his Off The Ball?