Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

Jenkinson gets assists because the match engine can't mark full backs.

Or wingers on the far post, it's bloody frustrating. He gets tonnes more than my other fullbacks, I assume because he's quick and can cross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah, pace seems much more important this year, Carl Jenkinson racks up assists because with 17 pace no one can keep up with him, and then 16 crossing and defenders being completely unable to mark the far post sees a goal nearly every time he gets going

Also the keeper just stands there and doesn't dive, ever.

The match engine is lovely to watch atm. The results are ok, but watching the goals is just frustrating.

Does anyone know how to see a list of things like top all-time goalscorers for the club etc? I've looked about the history page but only see seasonal stats.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 4, 2016

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
My players keep complaining about the quality of the tactical coaching. I have two perfectly fine coaches for it. What might I be overlooking, or should I just ignore them?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

THE PWNER posted:

Also the keeper just stands there and doesn't dive, ever.

The match engine is lovely to watch atm. The results are ok, but watching the goals is just frustrating.

Does anyone know how to see a list of things like top all-time goalscorers for the club etc? I've looked about the history page but only see seasonal stats.

Isn't there a dropdown up the top on history where you can change it from 'this season' to 'all time'?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Revenant Threshold posted:

My players keep complaining about the quality of the tactical coaching. I have two perfectly fine coaches for it. What might I be overlooking, or should I just ignore them?

Their workload is too high.

You need 3 sometimes 4 coaches in every area for a decent size squad but only one needs to be any good as the highest star rating is all that matters. Employ some idiots to put out the cones in multiple categories.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

Their workload is too high.

You need 3 sometimes 4 coaches in every area for a decent size squad but only one needs to be any good as the highest star rating is all that matters. Employ some idiots to put out the cones in multiple categories.

Bring in an rear end man with good tactical and man management stats and poo poo everything else and get him and the manager to put the cones out for every training type ftw

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
That's depressing. It's still the most well-coached attribute, weirdly, I think I just have one for everything else, with no complaints.

Thanks for the answers, though.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Just make sure the workload for coaches in each attribute never goes above 'Average' and you'll be set

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Bogan Krkic posted:

Just make sure the workload for coaches in each attribute never goes above 'Average' and you'll be set
They're all on Light. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Weird, maybe your players are just retards

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Yesterday I actually tried to use the advanced editor, which makes me a retard.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
It's the year 2025. On about the 8th attempt, my team finally managed to get past the first knockout round of the CL to the semi finals where we lost narrowly 2-2 to Arsenal on away goals. As a result, our league reputation rose from 10 to 8.

The very next year, suddenly our countrymates who'd done loving garbage in Europe for years are suddenly actually pulling their weight. All 4 Dutch clubs in the uefa cup have qualified from the group stage. It's a loving miracle. Our coefficient is going to skyrocket this year.

Coincidence, or does a reputation shift like that really help them that much?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Bogan Krkic posted:

Weird, maybe your players are just retards
These are mostly my useless under-18s who are never going to sniff a game and one first-team guy, so I give zero shits.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Mark Clattenburg, 51 year old referee, just gave a penalty against me in the CL final.

FM rules

I LOVE IT

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 7, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I also lost the CL final this past season :hfive:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I was just kind of like "oh of course it's the double late goal thing"

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
On FM09 I was absolutely cruising 1-0 up in the CL final, like no shots for my opponents at half time. Then Carlos Vela elbowed someone in the face for no reason and we lost to two injury time goals, the second clearly offside. That was the save where I lost my first 6 CL finals in row. My new girlfriend (now fiancee) visited almost straight after the final whistle and I had to act like a computer game hasn't just made me want to cry a bit.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
At least it wasn't zombie Mark Clattenburg's fault.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
With a heavy sigh, I reloaded last night. Game against Wolves. Once again, majority of possession/chances but all highlights were going to Wolves and they scored after a midfielder was put through by a lone striker holding up the ball while my back four stood there and appreciated the spectacle (despite closing down being on 'much higher').

Eventually equalised in 85th minute, DM is sent off for professional foul literally immediately afterwards. Eventually lose 1-3.

I dunno guys, I'm currently going through one of my "this game is rigged, white-hot bullshit" phases and I don't know if I can be bothered to carry on.

I might have a go at that direct counter tactic, is the standard 4-1-2-3 suitable for that (I have two excellent wingers)? Every guide I've read has suggested wide midfielders but I don't have any suitable players. Is Counter mentality meant to be rigid or fluid as well, because I've never been certain on that. And should all players be on Support, like a possession tactic?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The issue with leaving 3 up top in a "counter" tactic is that the opposition won't push as many men forward. Less players committed means less players over-committed and less chance that a counter opportunity will trigger. Which is bad because counters have been buffed like crazy this year.

Mentalities and roles don't actually matter much in a counter strategy, as once a counter attack starts all your players instructional settings get maxed out until the phase is over. Everyone goes direct, high tempo, forward runs often etc.

"Suitable players" is a myth. Positional familiarity means very little. Any full-back, attacking winger or box-to-box cm can play wide midfield no problem.

Shape on the tactics screen is your defensive shape so just make sure you've got lots of players standing nearer your goal than the other one. You don't even need good defenders because everyone will have lots of cover. Counter is easy mode.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Can you ever have players with late development in this game - like from 26-30? I know the loading tips say players at some positions have their "prime" at around 30, but the assistant manager always says they've "reached their full potential" if they're not kids.

I'm in League One and I picked up this free transfer 26-year-old regen fullback who's just been sitting in AC Milan's reserves for five years. They spent a lot of money on him when he was young and his "value" is way out of whack with the rest of my team even though he's nothing special. I'm guessing he's a high PA player and I'm also guessing I'll get nothing out of that.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Thanks for the hints, drew first game 1-1. Once again, majority of possession and shots but very wasteful and they scored with their only shot, but looked a lot stabler defensively.

Incidentally, THEIR GOAL WAS A STRIKER HOLDING UP THE BALL OUTSIDE THE AREA THEN PUTTING IT THROUGH TO A MIDFIELDER. THE OPPOSITION CYCLES THROUGH THE SAME THREE GOALS EVERY SINGLE TIME I SWEAR TO GOD

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Adrianics posted:

Thanks for the hints, drew first game 1-1. Once again, majority of possession and shots but very wasteful and they scored with their only shot, but looked a lot stabler defensively.

Incidentally, THEIR GOAL WAS A STRIKER HOLDING UP THE BALL OUTSIDE THE AREA THEN PUTTING IT THROUGH TO A MIDFIELDER. THE OPPOSITION CYCLES THROUGH THE SAME THREE GOALS EVERY SINGLE TIME I SWEAR TO GOD

I get this a lot, too. Mesut Ozil murders my QPR squad every time we face Arsenal.

I had an incident yesterday where my AMC miscontrolled a ball just outside the opposing penalty area and let it get about 5 years in front of him. He just stood there and watched it while an opposing defender closed him down and played an easy pass forward.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Lowtax posted:

Can you ever have players with late development in this game - like from 26-30? I know the loading tips say players at some positions have their "prime" at around 30, but the assistant manager always says they've "reached their full potential" if they're not kids.

I'm in League One and I picked up this free transfer 26-year-old regen fullback who's just been sitting in AC Milan's reserves for five years. They spent a lot of money on him when he was young and his "value" is way out of whack with the rest of my team even though he's nothing special. I'm guessing he's a high PA player and I'm also guessing I'll get nothing out of that.

The loading tips are generally bad, wrong and out of date.

But yes. Players can peak late. Every player is assigned a maximum Potential value on creation, and this number does not change expect in weird, exceptional and rare circumstances. A players Current Ability rises based on experience and training.

As a player ages improving the CA value becomes slower and harder, but the potential is still there and can be realised with perseverance and luck. This year the typical player "peak" was lowered to early/mid twenties in response to "real life analysis". But the length of time before a player starts to decline is now longer.

Coach reports take the age factor into consideration and will often say a player's race is run even if it's not. Ignore all ai advice always.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

The loading tips are generally bad, wrong and out of date.

But yes. Players can peak late. Every player is assigned a maximum Potential value on creation, and this number does not change expect in weird, exceptional and rare circumstances. A players Current Ability rises based on experience and training.

As a player ages improving the CA value becomes slower and harder, but the potential is still there and can be realised with perseverance and luck. This year the typical player "peak" was lowered to early/mid twenties in response to "real life analysis". But the length of time before a player starts to decline is now longer.

Coach reports take the age factor into consideration and will often say a player's race is run even if it's not. Ignore all ai advice always.

That said, the regen's high value is absolutely not a sign of untapped PA. PA isn't used in value calculations (AI's estimated PA is used, but as you said that includes age so could be wrong anyway). It's more likely that his value is due to a higher reputation than anyone else in the squad. With worse training facilities he could even decline as a player after the transfer!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

it just turned 2020 in my game and liverpool are 13th in the championship and have had to sell off all of their good players. The only people they can't/won't get rid of are Henderson, Balotelli, and Coutinho, but I suspect that they can't last another season with their wages...this owns, they're going full Leeds.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I got a wonderkid winger who I'm pretty sure has peaked already at 19. 20 JCA/20 JPA coach says he's at his full potential, and he's at a full 4 star CA and PA with no black stars. Is there anything else that changes that will make him better as he gets older, or is this really it for his development?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

You know you're on to a sweet tactic when your under 21 beats you in the first friendly of the season :downs:

It actually really fucks me off when that happens as they're supposed to mirror your tactics so how the gently caress do they win when they have a bunch of retards playing for them.

Anyway, finally starting my first proper game in FM16 with Freiburg. They've got a really talented team for a division two side so I should theoretically be promoted. The only thing stopping me is the fact I haven't played FM16 and don't know how the match engine works this time around and RB Leipzig.

Any tips tactics wise?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

You know you're on to a sweet tactic when your under 21 beats you in the first friendly of the season :downs:

It actually really fucks me off when that happens as they're supposed to mirror your tactics so how the gently caress do they win when they have a bunch of retards playing for them.

Anyway, finally starting my first proper game in FM16 with Freiburg. They've got a really talented team for a division two side so I should theoretically be promoted. The only thing stopping me is the fact I haven't played FM16 and don't know how the match engine works this time around and RB Leipzig.

Any tips tactics wise?

You accidentally made an underdog tactic.

If I don't struggle a bit in pre-season I worry. Tactics that batter the semi-pro sides you play to raise morale aren't going to be succeed against good teams in competitive fixtures.

If you're a favourite to win the league you may want to change things, though.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Seconding the advice on ignoring the AI, it doesn't have a clue. I've got a Villa side up to 6th inside two seasons with a tactic that makes my assman go crazy. "The gap between our midfield and defence is too big, we need to hold back on tackles, we're never going to score", he cries as I batter United 3 - 1 at Old Trafford.

You can do well with any tactic so long as you've got the players for it. My tactic is a flat back four with two defensive midfielders, three skillful AMs on Attack and a target man. It goes against every piece of advice I've seen and it's (relative to the club) the most successful tactic I've had since 2014.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Behold the future of football. I'm the betrayer of the Netherlands.

It's drat near impossible for the other nations to keep up once the South American regen train gets rolling.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Venky's just bought out Southampton in my game, and I'm doing loads of lols and can't wait to watch them plummet through the leagues

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

What the gently caress. I've made four completely different tactics, all of which are based on poo poo that's worked over the years for me, and I've lost every time to my loving reserve team. I haven't even scored a goal against them!

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Is control suddenly the shittiest thing ever?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

What the gently caress. I've made four completely different tactics, all of which are based on poo poo that's worked over the years for me, and I've lost every time to my loving reserve team. I haven't even scored a goal against them!

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Is control suddenly the shittiest thing ever?

Depends. What do you imagine Control actually does?

It's one of the most misleading labels in the game ftw.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

Depends. What do you imagine Control actually does?

It's one of the most misleading labels in the game ftw.

I normally play a 4-5-1 with either an attacking midfielder or defensive one depending on who is available. I usually play a slow tempo and try hold onto possession but for some reason my team seems absolutely incapable of that no matter what I do. My reserve team is total gash as well but they have more possession, more clear cut chances, more shots, and win every time. I've tried going with two up front, five at the back...all sorts of things and still the same poo poo happens. I can appreciate that I'm doing something wrong tactically but it makes no loving sense to me how I can be consistently outplayed by a far FAR inferior team using the same loving tactic I'm using.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

I usually play a slow tempo and try hold onto possession but for some reason my team seems absolutely incapable of that no matter what I do.

If you're using control then that's the problem.

Control is a fast-paced, risk-taking mentality (the team tries to control the game by being aggressive and forcing the other team back until you get countered and concede over and over). Slightly less-so than Attacking, but with longer passing out of defence for some reason. It's a garbage setting.

If you want patient possession play you should be using Counter or Defensive. Then add some short passing instructions for the defence if you're seeing too much hoofing.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

If you're using control then that's the problem.

Control is a fast-paced, risk-taking mentality (the team tries to control the game by being aggressive and forcing the other team back until you get countered and concede over and over). Slightly less-so than Attacking, but with longer passing out of defence for some reason. It's a garbage setting.

If you want patient possession play you should be using Counter or Defensive. Then add some short passing instructions for the defence if you're seeing too much hoofing.

Hmm I'll give that a go then. I've never had a problem using control in the past- it's been my default.

I just downloaded a good tactic to see how that fared and I'm still getting beaten by my reserves. What the gently caress.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Counters have been juiced up this year. The game punishes forward runs and exciting football just like real life.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Nine games in a row losing the reserves. One goal scored :downs:

Is this version completely different to past versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Lol, my 20 year old wonderkid who's only played 2 and a half seasons just became a club legend.

World record speed.