Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I know I'm probably too late for em, but are there any good deals on this anywhere? $70 for Australians, gently caress me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Well my things that work IRL don't work in this iteration it seems. I'm playing 442 as a conference regional side with limited defenders/full backs, wide midfielders on support, a ball winning midfielder on support and a central midfielder on attack. Poacher/target man up front. Doing all the stuff that makes sense for a poo poo team with fast strikers like stick to positions, pump ball into box, take a breather, etc, and making minor adjustments here and there. Also have an alternate tactic with a defensive DM that I'm using for when the odds are way against us. Doing awful. Do my poo poo players just need more time to get familiar with the formation?

Alternatively could someone just give me a guideline for what works at lower league in this version since I'm not a football scholar. I don't like to use premade tactics but I am definitely not knowledgeable enough to do things like make adjustments based on the oppositions formation, I only adjust based on strength of the opposition or home/away.

Also, do you not need to designate playmakers and target men anymore? I can't find it anywhere in tactics.

And did they remove the thing where your assistant would give you tactical advice mid-match? Like "There's too much space between our midfield and attack." That was really invaluable to tell you in what area you need to adjust your tactics. Can't find the tab.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 16, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mandalay posted:

What level is your tactical familiarity? How much freedom do you give your players? I haven't played LLM in 16 but if I did, I'd look to those two first.

I give them as little freedom as possible and familiarity is bad, since we just started. I imagine the other teams also have low levels of familiarity this early in the season though.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
It's ok guys I set every possible cross-encouraging setting and now my guys are suddenly making chances

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm pretty amazed how loving oblivious I am about football tactics, despite playing CM/FM for 15 years, watching thousands of matches, and playing in hundreds of matches.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I started a new game, did absolutely terrible for the first 4 or 5 matches, then the second our captain who was injured in pre-season gets back, we start completely destroying every game. Okay thanks FM.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I started a game with Uniao Madeira in the Portugese PL, and I'm loving intrigued. They sell 100 season tickets in their first season and average huge, 900-strong crowds. I was so curious that I googled the population of the island which is 250k, so it's not that. Jeez

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I've never capitulated quite like this before in FM. From 2nd with the best defence in the league to not winning a game for 6 months until we got away with a lucky away win. From dominating every game to the same tactic being completely useless no matter what I changed. gently caress.

I think I'll sell my wingers and full backs next season and just try a 3-5-2 with everything in thru the middle.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Masonity posted:

Are wingers supposed to be poo poo now then? My Aml/amr are still playing great.

Nah they just stopped working for me. I think a big problem with my wingers is that they can only play AML/AMR and not ML/MR, so I can't drop them further back into midfield when I need to. The new role suitability stuff in this version rather than just position suitability is really making versatility way more important than ever before.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

sassassin posted:

The roles are just instructions, and while attributes do have an effect on players ability to follow those instructions (low workrate will limit closing down, low flair will limit risky passes etc.), there is no separate penalty applied to a player that doesn't fit the archetype for the role. Star ratings are as always just an approximation filtered through a fallible-by-design assistant ai intended to help players who don't know what they're doing (and have no intention of learning).

Pick roles based on what is best for the team and your style of play. Assigning all your players their "best" roles is missing the forest for the trees.

I thought those roles actually meant something beyond "has good statistics in this area," I guess the games still super simple at its core but they added all of this poo poo that actually has no bearing on the game.

It would be great if my backup players who clearly aren't good enough for first team football would not always ask to first team football 2 months into every season. I have to replace my bench every season because of this. Even the loving 19 year old reserve 0.5 star players who just graduated from the u19's are doing this.

But the best thing by far is when players on non-contracts, or out of contract, do this. Like, what kind of leverage do you have, exactly?

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 23, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I just want some backup/rotation players of sufficient quality who won't mind their squad status, but unless they're a whole division worse than what you need, they're gonna complain.

On a positive note, it feels good snapping up newly-retired coaches and scouts with amazing stats when they don't have a reputation yet. I just shook up all of my staff and it was surprising how many world class staff were available.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 23, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

jyrka posted:

That's at least pretty realistic, isn't it. Who's happy as a bench warmer in real life? Not many players. Unless compensated very well, footballers want to play.

It depends. The game doesn't seem to consider, say, a start every 3 or 4 games and regular sub appearances with any sort of weight. There are plenty of players in situations like that who would rather continue with it than go down a league.

For example I've got a 'rotation' player who finished the season with 14 starts and 23 games off the bench and he's been complaining all season.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Seems like no matter how well our finances are doing my board isn't going to give me proportional wage budget increases. Got promoted, immediately went 15 mil into the green from prize money/tv money/sponsorships etc, and my wage budget increases from... 4.5mil p/a when we had 100k in the bank, to 5mil after.

Basically every player up to standard demands a wage we can't possibly afford.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm not sure how new it is since I hadn't played since 13 I think, but the scouting in this version is pretty cool. Actually having to build up your knowledge base instead of being able to search every player from the beginning gives you an extra thing to aim for. My scouting team of 22 only cover 32% of the world, so I assume we're missing some wonderkids somewhere.

One nice thing I've realized is that you can use the filter "assistant's opinion of current ability" and if he has high judging CA, he will filter lovely players for you even if you haven't scouted them.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 27, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah some of the tracksuits are loving great but the faces are just horrible.

I looked at the FM Base tactics forum to see what people are doing these days and it seems they're having the most success with tactics that have no DM, not even a CM-D or anything like that. :confused:

Aren't most of the "good" shared tactics just match engine exploits?

I tried one a few versions ago, called "diablo," and it was just a straight up exploit that made you win every game 10-0 regardless of how bad your squad was. People loved it.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I came up with my first actual good tactic that at least shows some semblance of basic understanding. 4-1-2-2-1 with 2 AMCs, a deep lying forward, wide midfielders cutting inside and fullbacks providing most of the width. Basically the DLF picks up long balls, holds up the ball, gets it out onto the full backs and a cross comes in with the AMCs and WM's in the box. The striker hardly scores and our goalscorers are all over the place, but its working super well. We have a pretty insane cross completion rate of 40% because we just have so many guys in the box that its impossible to mark all of them.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 29, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Is there an easy way to keep on top of how my domestic brothers are doing in europe? Right now I do it all by hand. Trying to up league reputation so I've been checking out their performance diligently.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
It took 2 seasons to get promoted to the Eredivisie with with Achilles '29, then two seasons to win it, and now we're on course for our 3rd title in 5 years. But dear god do we loving suck in Europe. We just got out of the CL group stages for the very first time and proceeded to lose 1-4 at home in a game we dominated. One season we started in the qualifying rounds, outplayed Arsenal in both legs but lost them both. It's just an endless cycle of playing better but still losing. Meanwhile in the league, we're undefeated and have conceded 8 goals in 28 games.

League reputation is really suffering too, we're not performing well enough to offset how utterly useless Dutch clubs are. Every year, without fail, the 2nd place teams fails to qualify for the CL then gets knocked out in the uefa cup group stages. The teams in the uefa cup lose the qualifiers/lose their group. And to top all of this off, my best players are constantly being sold by the board, who go over my head, for 25+mil which I then can't spend because no one good wants to play for us!

I get the feeling that my entire team have a 1 for their big games stat or something.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 30, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
There must be some real disconnect between the developers and the coders for the stats to be so far off from their real world meaning. It's not even that they're too hard to implement realistically or anything, it's just that the names of the stats don't line up properly with what they actually do. Can't be too hard to move "gets involved" from aggression to work rate...

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
gently caress off, FM

We just won the league 3rd year running and have been in the CL for 5 years straight.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I've got a winger who seems pretty mediocre at a glance of his stats, but in the match engine he's loving Messi. He skips over every challenge, beats opponents with skill & pace, and pretty much outplays everyone who dares come within 5 metres of him. It's great to watch but I have to wonder why it's happening. Routinely skips past the challenges of the opposing winger, full back, and then belts in a perfect cross for a tap in as if it was his preferred move (he has none actually).

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Meh, still can't be as bad as it used to be. I remember some versions where finishing, composure, pace and accel were basically the only relevant stats for a striker, and accel/pace for everyone else outside of centre backs.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah, pace seems much more important this year, Carl Jenkinson racks up assists because with 17 pace no one can keep up with him, and then 16 crossing and defenders being completely unable to mark the far post sees a goal nearly every time he gets going

Also the keeper just stands there and doesn't dive, ever.

The match engine is lovely to watch atm. The results are ok, but watching the goals is just frustrating.

Does anyone know how to see a list of things like top all-time goalscorers for the club etc? I've looked about the history page but only see seasonal stats.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 4, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
It's the year 2025. On about the 8th attempt, my team finally managed to get past the first knockout round of the CL to the semi finals where we lost narrowly 2-2 to Arsenal on away goals. As a result, our league reputation rose from 10 to 8.

The very next year, suddenly our countrymates who'd done loving garbage in Europe for years are suddenly actually pulling their weight. All 4 Dutch clubs in the uefa cup have qualified from the group stage. It's a loving miracle. Our coefficient is going to skyrocket this year.

Coincidence, or does a reputation shift like that really help them that much?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Mark Clattenburg, 51 year old referee, just gave a penalty against me in the CL final.

FM rules

I LOVE IT

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 7, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I was just kind of like "oh of course it's the double late goal thing"

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
At least it wasn't zombie Mark Clattenburg's fault.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I got a wonderkid winger who I'm pretty sure has peaked already at 19. 20 JCA/20 JPA coach says he's at his full potential, and he's at a full 4 star CA and PA with no black stars. Is there anything else that changes that will make him better as he gets older, or is this really it for his development?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Behold the future of football. I'm the betrayer of the Netherlands.

It's drat near impossible for the other nations to keep up once the South American regen train gets rolling.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Lol, my 20 year old wonderkid who's only played 2 and a half seasons just became a club legend.

World record speed.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Dallan Invictus posted:

The advice I remember getting way too many versions ago was "if you mark Brazil and Argentina playable, masses of overpowered South American regens will swamp your save and overwhelm the world" and since then I leave those leagues view-only unless I want to manage there. I'm not even sure if this is still true.

Seems true, I've got them playable because the dutch league has no work permit or non-EU rules. Mistake!

If I change them to non-playable mid game, will it save me?

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 10, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
You know what? Costa Rica A and Mexico A are just too busy this year. Let's send the B teams to Copa America.

??????????????????

??

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Replacing your stalwart winger who's spent 7 seasons playing incredibly with the same guy who took his place in the national team is pretty mean. I'm glad this spreadsheet doesn't have emotions.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
'Disappointed that his manager scouted his replacement by noticing that he stopped gaining caps, clicking the national team, and spending his entire transfer budget on the guy who's keeping him out of the team.'

Sorry buddy, that's what happens when my assistant tells me you've dropped below 3 star rating. I don't care that you're still performing, you triggered my ocd.

Ah yes, I've been looking forward to the young boys vs Shahktar. Meanwhile, there's also Barcelona I suppose.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 15, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah it does except the profile picture doesn't include the lovely suit you chose making that part of it entirely redundant instead of mostly redundant

You can see it in the match engine!

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
They're on the far end away from the camera.

I only notice them sometimes, so I think they aren't always there.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I just lost a cup semi final because my entire first team had 1 day left on traveling back for international duty. Huhhhhhh

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

sassassin posted:

Signings are made based on reputation (which is influenced by form), players are used based on ability (as perceived by coaches).

Gotze's probably on really high wages so if he doesn't do well at Bayern (or picks up a bad injury) none of the teams that can afford him will be interested in making an offer.

A big problem is how players will pretty much never budge on taking less pay until their rep falls off so much that its possible. In my game a player was 35, left on a free, was still world class but didn't find a club. Sat there for a year and a half clubless then retired due to being unable to find one.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
My brazillian AM has matured to the point where he plays these ridiculous first time backheel passes every single game. Sometimes, he holds up the ball and spins around JUST TO BACKHEEL. I mean, it works, but he's definitely trying way too hard and I hope opposition defenders kick him in the legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
2 and a half year unbeaten league run just came to an end when the other team had 0 shots on target. Own goal.

Selling the offender immediately.