Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

After playing around with Fifa and Football, Tactics and Glory, I finally decided to take the plunge and grab FM2020. I'm now 50 hours in and have spent the last two days watching youtube videos. Welp I guess I'm hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Can someone answer some newbie questions I have? I'm still on my first save trying to learn the ropes.

1- When people say have all 3 tactics training so you can rotate, is there a difference between tactics and formation? I have: a) Gegenpress 4-2-3-1 Wide, b) Vertical Tiki-Taka 4-1-4-1 DM Wide and c) Wing Play 4-2-4 Wide.

Like can I freely swap my Gegenpress formation from having a forward AM to having a covering DM depending on match-ups without having to specifically train a different tactic? If yes, this means that when I get form drops due to teams being familiar with my tactics, it's not enough to do a formation swap, I need to do a tactic swap right?

2- Youth intakes: how are you supposed to "play" other clubs youth intakes? I put them on a scouting shortlist. Am I supposed to try and poach them ASAP while they're young before they fully develop or am I supposed to just watch and wait for their contracts to expire and snap up whatever is good?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ah that would do it. Yeah I must have gotten the idea from an old LP that I could snag some newgens on the cheap.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Masonity posted:

You can still totally snatch regens cheap on regen day. The issues are that regen day is now staggered. Any given country will be given their regens over a week, so you need to keep an eye every single day on that transfer page. And you can only poach them on day 1 really. Sometimes day 2-3. This means no time to scout.

What I do once march hits is check my league's transfer youth intake screen every single day until players start popping up. I then check each club to get an intake that day and sort by value. Its a crude way but it sorta works. Some slip through and you end up wasting a couple of million here and there on waste wastemen but it seems worth it overall.

I then offer them enough that they give the accepting on the spot response (very good offer) as they'll usually accept a contract with their own club over me if not.

If you buy the 5 or so highest value players each intake this way, it'll cost you £10-15mil and £80k a week (probably £10mil average cost over 2-3 years) in the Premier League. But you'll probably end up with one £20-30mil sale, one first team player / £50mil+ sale and three players who end up on the scrap heap.

Ah this sounds fiddly but I'll give it a shot. Still, if I miss that window, it's still useful to shortlist all the promising young kids and potentially drop 10-20 mil on someone that looks like a potential stud right? Try doing something like this? https://footballmanagerstory.com/fm-2020-regen-youth-intake-guide-find-the-best-wonderkids/

AlbertFlasher posted:

Sort of but not always. It depends on why the formed dropped in the first place. If form drops because of injuries thats one thing but if form drops because a couple of your shite players were playing out of their minds for a few games that something else. Some times you don't necessary need to completely change the tactic. It could be as simple as changing a team instruction or adding a player instruction. I know it sounds cryptic but it really depends on how you are trying to play and seeing why you aren't playing like that. When in doubt just get better players. Seriously that's the best way to fix the tactical problems. You can eventually get players good enough for your division that you will just over power everyone and you don't really need to worry about tactics much. You just win.

Well I'm playing as Bayern Munich so I'm pretty much doing that. I saw skimming the thread there's a hardcoded slump in dec/jan and that's where I started hitting a skid so I swapped tactics and it seemed to have worked. So I'm curious if I only did a formation swap but not a tactic swap if that would have worked. If anything, the games I seem to have more trouble with is when I rotate a lot of my squad or field a weaker team versus a bottom table team and I seem to only barely beat them. So I wonder if it's a tactic issue or if it's a player quality issue. (probably both).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Stotty posted:

This is basically the system I have been using, it's pretty time consuming - depending on how many nations youth intakes you add to the initial scouting list.

You'll still pick up most of the good players for pretty reasonable sums though

Even if you buy a few duds who only make it to 2 or 2 1/2 stars, I've been selling those guys on for £10-15 million each anyway.

OK cool that's what I was hoping for. I want to be a right proper bastard big club and slosh my weight around.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

For teenagers I think meeting minimum gametime > facilities/environment > additional gametime for how fast they develop. Once players reach ~21/22 then they need to start playing as often as possible at the highest level possible. There's always a random element but the attributes of a 18 year old wonderkid will fly up without much time on the itch. You can and should baby them so they don't get hurt/burned out.

What won't fly up is his reputation and player value. But these aren't things a manager should care about.

Given high potential young'ins, are they better off dominating your U18 team or getting starts on the B-team? I try to spot them a game here or there with my first team, but I'm wondering what's the best course of action. The truly best prospects I've been able to jump directly from U18 to 1st team bench/rotation. The good prospects that develop a bit slower, I wonder if they're better off on the U18 team or the B team.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Well I'm currently playing as AZ in the Eredivisie so their reserve team plays in the 2nd league, so that's why my feeling is that the reserve team must surely get better quality of competition (and thus yielding better progression) than the youth team?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ahhhhhhh I just got my first CL win in my first CL ever by scoring in the 119th minute off of a corner versus Man U to break a 0-0 deadlock as AZ in my 7th year managing them. This is my first FM game. I started the save two summers ago (FM20), played all summer, put it to the side, then came back this summer and have been fiending it since. I've successfully out-Ajax'ed Ajax in the Eredivisie. drat, now do I try and turn the underdog win into a succession of CL dominance or do I take a break and wait for FM22? As long as they don't break the engine improvements from FM21, I'm almost certainly gonna grab it (if only for xG alone ahaha).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mans posted:

As someone who didn't buy FM21 and is still on FM20, jesus the animations and match engine looks so lovely.

I'm buying this ASAP

I am also in this boat. Goddamn I'm excited for the new version.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Does everyone have a launch save lined up already? Please post your ideas so I can steal them/get inspired. I think I'm going to do a typical fallen giant save with Deportivo La Coruna unless something else hooks me.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Somewhat off-topic, but I am currently re-reading that FM2014 LP on lparchive.org for the first time in years. Good stuff if you haven't seen it.

It planted the seed for me finally playing FM many years later. Such a great LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Posted on Reddit hoping for some help as well. I'm kinda perplexed. So I'm playing in my first season as KRC Genk on FM24 and out of nowhere, a U19 team was created. No email or anything, it just showed up in my Dev. Center. The U19 team is completely empty with 0 staff and 0 players. I already have a B team (Jong Genk) playing in a lower level and a youth team (U18). What the heck do I do with this team?

Trying to look up info and I see that some people have had a similar thing happen and it's because my team got invited to a youth cup (Viareggio Cup Coppa Carnevale) and it needs to have a U19 team. I wanted to do a youth academy focused save so hurray for another team but now I'm confused as to how to handle the U19 squad?

As far as I know, the U19 squad is only set up for the Viareggio cup. It doesn't participate in any other leagues. I would just take my U18 team and play them on my U19 team but the youth league runs at the same time and conflicts with the cup. I'm just starting out in the save so I'm not exactly flush with cash. I don't want to waste signing an entire coaching staff and filling out the roster (while transferring some guys from my U18 team) just to play a few games and then have the team do nothing? I am not totally sure how the U19 team would affect development vs my U18/B-team.

It's also super weird because some options that are usually there, don't exist. There isn't a button to delegate anything as there is for my other teams. Does anyone have some advice with how to handle this? I tried googling for similar situations but struggled with finding answers. Because of the money issue and the tournament is a few months away, I don't know what would happen if I just ignored the team completely.

EDIT: I guess I just needed to advance a few days and the menus started appearing. My Technical Director started hiring some Staff and the delegate buttons showed up as usual. Still doesn't exactly give me a hint on how I should manage my U19 vs U18 team for future comps though, unless by next season they'll be signed up to a new competition, in which case this is quite the boon for a youth focused save.

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 7, 2024