Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I should be hitting a similar point soon too. I spent a fortune for a few years to make arsenal a powerhouse while buying all the best regens but now my youth system has fully taken over I'm basically printing money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
It's time to do the /hoursplayed walk of shame...

FM10 - 1055
FM11 - 2779
FM12 - 2197
FM13 - 1863
FM14 - 1857
FM15 - 1182
FM16 - 2253
FM17 - 1651
FM18 - 2002

2011 was probably my playing peak. The scores are all over the place, but clearly 2015 wasn''t my favourite.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Given that you are new to the Premiership, a UEFA cup win would do wonders for your reputation. You really should be going all out in both competitions.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

can't imagine how that could have gone wrong at Arsenal

That's basically my approach at Arsenal.

Then again my other approach is to just buy all the best young players I can find and sell the old weak players off as soon as I can. I'm not happy until my entire squad are regens.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

JadaX posted:

This might be the first FM in 6 years I don't end up getting.

I've said that twice in a row now. Third time lucky?

edit: And rather than "in 6 years" it's "Since CM3"

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Games as a service is only getting bigger. I haven't bought FIFA for a decade but thanks to origin access I have 19. A £10 sub that included other sega games would probably grab a ton of maybe players.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

They were stand alone games but priced as updates pretty much. Same way throne of bhaal was technically a stand alone game but priced as an update to baldurs gate 2.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I've avoided that issue by playing the sort of tactics I never, ever play. I'm an arsenal fan. A purist. Beautiful game and all that. But it seemed too easy to set up a slow buildup passing tactic with the new presets do I've gone for an ultra pressing direct passing blitzkrieg setup. While almost anything works with a big(gish) team like Arsenal... I'm kinda surprised how well it's working and how much fun it is.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

No need to nerf Arsenal players... Haven't you heard, this is our year?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I've just had the most ridiculous regen ever appear...

He's insane. I need to get him in a mentoring group with some good guys urgently, but this kid is already good enough to sit on most benches. I'm going to have to play him from day 1 (regen day happens to be a match day, so literally!) and see if I can't get 20 seasons out of him.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Pele challenge, 1000 career goals.

It might just be achievable. Challenge accepted.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

OoohU posted:

If the game somehow plays a commentary clip saying "Remember the name, Tom Davinson." After he scores his first worldie then I'll buy the game.

No worldies so far, but he did manage 4 league goals in 9 starts and 2 champions league goals in 4 starts, including the only goal in the champions league final. Not bad at 15.

He's put on 5lb since he generated though. I think his signing on bonus went on pies.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

Spirited is a great personality but protecting him from negative influences is a must.

I don't know how overrated Arsenal's players are in their Determination but realistically that 12 could plummet 2 points a year until he's 18 and signs for a big club.

Come on, I'm three years in. Like I have more than a sprinkling of the original squad anyway! The boy has Icardi, Navas (Yeah I know a keeper won't help much but he has a great personality) and a few other regens in with him. All of whom are professional or perfectionist.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Masonity posted:

No worldies so far, but he did manage 4 league goals in 9 starts and 2 champions league goals in 4 starts, including the only goal in the champions league final. Not bad at 15.

He's put on 5lb since he generated though. I think his signing on bonus went on pies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPiJQlQNmFY

18 games in and this was his first worldie. No remember his name commentary. :(

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

I'm not sure how much mentoring the AI will do, but the general character of a squad will definitely have an impact on players you send out on a long-term loan (unless they're massive egomaniacs who view their teammates with nothing but contempt, which they should if you're sending them down a level or two to get games).

Collecting all the wonderkids and hoarding them in your youth system is way less viable a strategy than it used to be. Development is generally slower and less consistent, and if you don't manage things properly you can ruin a lot of investments.

Better by far to stick with only a handful of kids, get them in the first team, give them games and quality mentoring and build the rest of your team out of ready-made veterans.

It is still viable at the very top level. I'm 6 seasons in, and over the last 5 seasons I've spent £160million on regens*. So around £32 million a year, or around a third of my transfer budgets. As a result though, I now have 4 first team players and 6 substitutes from that haul. Call it £16 million per player? They are all under 21, with the first team players being valued at £25 mil, 2x £42 mil and £54 mil while the subs are mostly around the £15 mil mark with a few in the £40ms and £50ms and one who's still sub £10 million because he's a young Keeper with very little play time. I've also sold one for around £20 million already (so £140 million net spend, or £14 million per match day squad player) and have a bunch out on loan or in the first team squad but not the matchday 18 who will either step up into the team, end up valuable reserve players or sell for £20 million plus. Based on their development already, my youth hoarding should be profitable in about 2 or 3 years when I start letting the first batch of "failed" prospects go. And it's already allowed me to have an overall net transfer profit at the club while building a far better team than Arsenal start with, despite a few vanity purchases, some of which went wrong and lost me money.

And it isn't hurting my development of my own players either, there's three players in my first XI from my academy and another out on loan who might make the step up next year.

*I'm not including a £66 million 18 year old regen I just paid up for because he's not a development player, he's straight into the first team to replace De Ligt who went to Real Madrid for £124 million

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

gtkor posted:

I would have my doubts that there is going to be much of any profit for a future transfer if his selling price is 103M

There's always a chance one of the Spanish giants will come in with a £160m offer.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

So I think the Pele challenge may be beyond me. I'm too fond of discovering wonder strikers and ended up with 3 up front...

That said, at 18 he's developed well.

The other two are 20 and 22, so basically old men!

- 13 mil 2 seasons ago

- 10.5 mil 2 seasons ago

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

what if Crouch, but good

So basically "What if Zlatan"?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does Stamina really matter much, though? I recall reading (might even have been from you) that players don't actually suffer significant performance penalties until they get, like, under 60% condition. (This is a big reason the 5-2-3 tactics broke the match engine, you can have automatic/complete wing-backs running 10 miles per game with no problems, thus effectively playing two positions each)

In some systems, some positions will end up in the 60s on a regular basis. High stamina probably mitigates that a little. Also the lower it drops, the quicker a player will be back to 90%+ before the next game during fixture congestion.

I play a super high intensity 5-2-3 and my wingbacks and midfielders are always knackered.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Masonity posted:

I've just had the most ridiculous regen ever appear...

He's insane. I need to get him in a mentoring group with some good guys urgently, but this kid is already good enough to sit on most benches. I'm going to have to play him from day 1 (regen day happens to be a match day, so literally!) and see if I can't get 20 seasons out of him.

So, my 6'7 monster of a striker is being a sulky baby, and after 4 years and 86 league goals I might have to let him go. I'll get a fair bit more than the £10 million i signed him for at least!

I have other options who can replace him, but it'll be sad to lose Feddy!

edit: He stopped being a baby and insisting we needed to strengthen the team or he'd leave.

That said, my uberregen has finally hit age. Tom Davidson is 21, and basically the best player in the world. He's been up there a while, but only playing him in half the games last season (I experimented with an A and B side, each playing half my games) he seems to have taken the final leap into, well, this.

He still has some maturing to do, and the game doesn't think he's quite filled his potential yet, but I'm pretty happy with the kid.

edit: For those wondering, his 1 negative in the summery is that he can only play in one position. I'll admit, I'm heartbroken that my 21 year old with over 100 premier league goals to his name isn't able to put in a shift in midfield.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 4, 2019

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

I can't imagine the hype around an English 21 year old with 39 international goals. Only just turned 21 at that.

He'd have even more, but Gareth Southgate kept playing Harry Kane ahead of him on reputation, while Tommy was outscoring and outplaying him. Given the way he was banging them in even super early in his career, he should have gone to Qatar as England's #9. Instead he stayed at home.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

Peak England is to play the kids immediately because "they'll start for 15 years" though.

When they are first choice for the league (and possibly champions league?) champions, and top scorer in the league at 16, they should at least have a place on the bench!

I kinda regret not cheating myself in as England manager (by taking over as a new player then resigning, leaving the spot empty for my to apply for) so I could give him the first world cup he deserved.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

if you want to distract yourselves from how bad the match engine is you can download the 03/04 database and remember when boro were really, really good.

That sounds fun. Where is it? It'd be great to play as an Arsenal side that doesn't suck again!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

mrnoun posted:

I just saw a newgen with the personality type "Mercenary." I'd never seen that one before. I assume it's just super low loyalty, with maybe high ambition. Any other super rare personality types you guys have seen?

What's his shooting like?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

an_mutt posted:

I just started playing 19 for the first time and got hit with a hard brexit immediately. :( 17-player cap for overseas players, and pretty much every scout report I get now is 'This player will probably fail to get a work permit', even for well-established players.

Check out what the actual requirements are. All of my scouts are convinced everyone will fail, but the only limit on who gets it is their salary.

Mbappe will fail to get a work permit? Sure. If he's on less than £7k a week. But guess what? He wants more than that just to get out of bed in the morning!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Masonity posted:

So, my 6'7 monster of a striker is being a sulky baby, and after 4 years and 86 league goals I might have to let him go. I'll get a fair bit more than the £10 million i signed him for at least!

I have other options who can replace him, but it'll be sad to lose Feddy!

edit: He stopped being a baby and insisting we needed to strengthen the team or he'd leave.

That said, my uberregen has finally hit age. Tom Davidson is 21, and basically the best player in the world. He's been up there a while, but only playing him in half the games last season (I experimented with an A and B side, each playing half my games) he seems to have taken the final leap into, well, this.

He still has some maturing to do, and the game doesn't think he's quite filled his potential yet, but I'm pretty happy with the kid.

edit: For those wondering, his 1 negative in the summery is that he can only play in one position. I'll admit, I'm heartbroken that my 21 year old with over 100 premier league goals to his name isn't able to put in a shift in midfield.

He went on to become Arsenal's record scorer at 22, and has now surpassed Kane to become England's top ever goal scorer at the grand old age of 24.

Harry is the top Premier League goalscorer with 278 still, so Tommy should manage to pass him midway through next season at 25. He's on 253 with roughly a goal a game for the past 3-4 years.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Caf posted:

What tactics are you using to get scoring like that? I'm a ways away from the top leagues but I can't seem to find a tactic that consistently even creates chances in this version.

Most goals are coming on crosses from the WB to the opposite W on the far post or from long shots in the middle of the field. I basically don't see anything else.

I spent my first few years playing a 5-2-3 with wingbacks. Super hard closing down, super direct, three strikers. I then transitioned to an almost 4-4-2 (4-2-4?) With wingbacks and an AML/R rather than fullbacks and wingers. veritcal tiki-taka, still stupid closing down when out of possession. I've pretty much built a team with the best players in the world in every respective position.

With my original tactic I'd have 30-40% possession but score tons anyway. Now days I completely dominate games, with 60-70% possession.

Both have gone narrow with underlapping though. I guess my "thing" is narrow underlapping attacks and a hard tackling high line closing down the second it loses possession and forcing mistakes.

Edit: Tommy is scoring a goal a game for England for the AI too though. I think he'd score in a nunnery. Not sure how much my system enables him. Going from one of three strikers to one of two (with the other more of a provider) has helped though.

My newer tactic was inspired by the Invincibles, with him as my Thierry.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 8, 2019

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Pele challenge, 1000 career goals.

So, Tommy is 25, about to turn 26 before the next season starts, and he's kinda on track?

After eleven seasons he has 280 league goals but 422 club goals in all competitions thanks to absolutely tearing up the cups. I haven't counted friendlies. He also has 93 England goals to bring his total to 515 in all competitions. In the last 5 seasons he's averaged 52 club goals and 11 international goals a season for a total of 63. If he can keep that form up for 7 seasons (32, about to turn 33) he should be around 30-40 goals shy going into the twilight of his career. He was Arsenal's top ever league goalscorer at 22, England's at 24 and at 25 he beat a recently retired Harry Kane (who's England record he also took) to the most ever Premiership goals.

The board are building a new stadium and I genuinely won't be upset if they choose to name it after him instead of me!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

Never seen this. How can they be too young to be in the first team squad?

This. If a player is born good enough (from my youth intake), he's old enough. The striker I'm trying the Pele challenge with has been first team since the day he generated. 15 and scoring premier League (and champions League) goals.

And he will be too old the day he retires. Or maybe when he hits 1000 goals. If that's early enough I might aim for 1000 club goals of course.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I don't get that as we're rolling in money, but the board and fans get a little stroppy every time I sell a 19-23 year old who looked like a world beater when I bought them but never progressed enough. He's 8th choice striker and we're getting 60 million for him after four years of loans. He cost us a packet of fags from an outer Mongolian league. Why are you so disappointed to see him go? Maybe trust the guy who's made well over a billion in transfer profit while building a team that wins basically every trophy every year?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I think I might have a problem.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

Next match engine patch isn't a trash fire. There is hope.

This match engine has it's issues but it's not terrible. I wasn't able to play the style I really wanted to, but after changing my approach I'm now playing some fun football.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Azhais posted:

Just start every match on very attacking and if you need to be ultra conservative move to attacking

Don't forget that if the team is set to attacking, strikers will take first time shots even if I'm good positions to take a few touches. While if you lower it to defensive they'll actually use their chances.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

My personal "thing" has always been to just massively over scout the e entire world's youth intake once a year. Sign any 5 star potentials who aren't too pricy and accept that you won't catch everyone and will sign a few duds. Overall though I tend to come out massively in profit.

My Brexit this year didn't change work permits though and foreign kids now seem to want the £100k+ contract that will get them a permit to sign for me. So I can't just sign them up and send them all to Poland for three years. This is seriously cramping my style and will probably mean a European heavy conveyor belt this time round.

Maybe I'll have to sign the 4.5 stars too.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

You can still totally snatch regens cheap on regen day. The issues are that regen day is now staggered. Any given country will be given their regens over a week, so you need to keep an eye every single day on that transfer page. And you can only poach them on day 1 really. Sometimes day 2-3. This means no time to scout.

What I do once march hits is check my league's transfer youth intake screen every single day until players start popping up. I then check each club to get an intake that day and sort by value. Its a crude way but it sorta works. Some slip through and you end up wasting a couple of million here and there on waste wastemen but it seems worth it overall.

I then offer them enough that they give the accepting on the spot response (very good offer) as they'll usually accept a contract with their own club over me if not.

If you buy the 5 or so highest value players each intake this way, it'll cost you £10-15mil and £80k a week (probably £10mil average cost over 2-3 years) in the Premier League. But you'll probably end up with one £20-30mil sale, one first team player / £50mil+ sale and three players who end up on the scrap heap.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Unless I'm really looking to mold someone into the next big thing, and there's only ever one or two of those at a time, a loan is also a good way to add that final layer of polish. After a few years playing 10-15 times a season, often off the bench, when a kid is good enough for most teams in Europe but not me, I send him off to see how he does. It'll increase his value, and let you know if it's worth making space for him.

There's also something quite nice about Madrid's star striker being your 21 year old 3rd choice. And even nicer about then seeing £80-100 mil offers for him the following summer.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

The trophy celebrations are nice.

Moral victory in the league.

Where do you find that?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

kingturnip posted:

My striker ran in behind the defense and scored from a free header on the edge of the 6-yard box.
xG: 0.16

Okay

When you consider headers on the edge of the box, with the ball coming in fast and the striker on the move, far more are going to end up missing or straight at the keeper than in the back of the net, no?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Woah, they do a proper trophy presentation now, with a stage and everything. Everyone lining up... Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I should probably spend some time on tactics. Maybe when I decide on a proper, challenging save. At the moment I'm still playing my beta Arsenal save, but being a big Premier league team is too easy. Last season we went unbeaten in the league, hit 100 points and only conceded 7 league goals. I can count on United pushing me until the last few weeks, but it's ultimately become a case of I win, or My world beating attackers can't score a goal between them so I draw 0-0. And I'm still at the start of the 4th season, I haven't even started to see my wonderkid regens break through yet.

To be fair, I did do the one thing Arsenal need to do to win everything. I replaced the entire squad basically. Only Saka is still there.