Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Any suggestions for a new player? I am currently rereading habeasdorkus' incredible LP of FM 14 and 15 (now on the archives) and I happen to glance at my Steam library to see a copy of FM 2016 that I have no recall of buying. Having played a lot of PES in the past but no FM, I'm not sure how best to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

The Croc posted:

If you constantly interact eventually (assuming things go positive) they add you to their favoured staff and i guess that has a small value to contract negotiations ect but it can be ignored.

And tbh its always best to save scum interactions because theres no logic to them and never has been and they continue to add new layers but never actually fix it.

I've read that excellent FM14 LP twice from top to bottom and my favourites were when the manager would praise a character who just bagged a brace or who earned a 9+ rating, only for the player to reply "I don't need to be patronised!" and have his mood drop.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genuinely one of the most exciting and dramatic LPs I've ever read, though unfortunately it pisses itself at the very end.

Edit: There is also a new LP for FM18 done by the same person, currently going on in the appropriate forum.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

hopterque posted:

Oh poo poo.

Bobby Digital posted:

Thanks, this owns.

If you're like me, that will consume your life for weeks to come. There are some incredibly tense, jaw-dropping moments.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tortilla Maker posted:

Looking to upgrade from FM14.

FM19 on super sale and it’s tempting but anything major expected in FM20 that I should hold out for?

Where is it on super sale?

I am also interested in the answer to that question.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Given the age of the game, you could have a very hard time patching it.

I have a bunch of old versions of FM that I've accumulated over the years, but my "archives" only go back to FM15

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Coohoolin posted:

drat I missed the steam sale a few days ago, would something like this be legit?

https://www.g2a.com/en-gb/football-...KBoC9mwQAvD_BwE

All I can say is that I have purchased keys from those types of vendors before, perhaps a handful of times, and never had a problem. Other's mileage may vary.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
There's no prime-time pressure like playing in a drenched pitch in front of a bunch of pissed blokes in Staffordshire; penalty kick in the CL final is a doddle compared to that.

*Note that author grew up in Stafford and humiliated himself many times in front of pissed etc etc

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

kingturnip posted:

Miles put out a statement confirming the inevitable: that no mere global health emergency can stop the onward march of more Football Manager games.
He does say that he expects it to launch later than usual; I'm assuming, since he mentions it elsewhere, this is partly due to wanting confirmation of what various leagues are actually going to do in terms of fixtures.

There's also the bit that hopefully some of the more gammony fans read, where he states "I would be very surprised if we’re all back in the studio working together until well into next year". Which is more sensible than any message the Tories are putting out.

Obviously some people are going to want the thing that most mirrors real-life, but wouldn't they want to have a "normal" option for people who just want to play football sims without it having to mirror a phenomenally unlikely current event? For example, other sports games, like OOTP, don't force players to realistically emulate strike seasons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Julio Cruz posted:

remember this is the company that pissed off a lot of people because they put Brexit into the game

and it turns out that an ultra-hard Brexit makes it quite hard to sign foreign players

I didn't mind them having it in, because it is supposed to be a historical simulation, I just want the option to *not* have it because it's not a core part of the sport and it models a real-life externality that no decent person would support. Not a great parallel, but the only Zelda games that I do now own (apart from the awful CDI ones) are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks because those are controlled entirely using the stylus. I don't have a problem with them trying a new movement style, but the fact that they didn't include an option for classic cross & button controls is just baffling to me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Modrasone posted:

In the current version you can't set 8 players to "Attack Goalkeeper" on corners, so it's bad. I miss being able to dole out major spinal injuries to enemy keepers in exchange for a reasonable amount of red cards per season (26)

As a former keeper, gently caress you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

XBenedict posted:

I refuse to use Epic. I have an unused account and I get like 50 hack attempt emails per day.

I'm genuinely sorry that that has happened to you, my (wo)man. I plunder Epic for free games regularly and I have not had such an issue. I just log into Epic through GOG Galaxy, with whom they have a formal partnership.

Edit: FM2020 and WD2; this week is a bonanza.

Fake Second Edit: I just looked and I have literally never bought a game from Epic. Every single one of the two dozen games that I own from them was a "free transfer".

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 18, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I actually thought about this last night and I had the same problem a couple of years ago for a few months. At the time I think that I owned literally one game on Epic, and I was afraid to touch anything because I was concerned about phishing. It went away after a while and I have no recollection of ever doing anything.

I have to use 2FA at work and it annoys the poo poo out of me, so I have no idea to do it with a game service that I never use.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

algebra testes posted:

My very limited experience with professional sports is players having unrealistically high expectations for themselves and need to motivate themselves to do better and can only do that by being told they can do better.

Basically there are people that never want to be told they are doing a good job.

Not an athlete, but I am one of those people; it can be a death knell if it goes too far, though, and it's one of the main things that sports psychologists deal with. I had a professional experience some years ago where I did some genuinely fantastic work and lost my job for extremely bullshit reasons, and it totally changed me because it made me realise that one can do incredible things while critics are too stupid to notice.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was chuffed when I received FM2020 free on Epic, and then this thread hots up and it turns that that 20 is shite and 21 is much more promising. This isn't a dig at people in this thread, but part of me looks at last year's game and says "Why bloody bother"?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Wizard Styles posted:

There really isn't much of a reason to play FM20 now, yeah. Free or not. Its match engine was the worst one they put out since I've been playing (17) by a distance. The current one is easily the best. The transfer market is better than it has been in the past as well now.

Perhaps it will be free on Epic about a year from now. It's all relative, of course, but spending 50 USD on a game that has a learning curve like trying to run up a glass wall is a big investment. I haven't been playing year in, year out for a long time like many of you, so it's intimidating. The only other version of FM that I own is '16, on Steam.

Masonity posted:

The reason we used to play it is because it was crap but it was the only game in town.

FM seriously needs some decent competition. It hasn't really had one since Ultimate Soccer Manager died.

Competition would not hurt. In my opinion, the yearly sports roster udpate where huge companies pretend that they improved something in order to make more money needs to die in general. NBA 2K has a disgusting number of bugs that have been around for years, but they never fix them because it's not profitable. Instead, they update rosters and add a new splash screen to the same broken game and tell people to spend another 60 USD. The game then gets horrible Steam reviews, but nothing ever changes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

kingturnip posted:

Yet another reason to never manage in England/Scotland.

I genuinely don't get this.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
What's the lowest rating you've ever seen a player get? In any context, RL or otherwise, I have never seen less than maybe 5.5/5.0

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Appropriate that he's English.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Speaking of Wrexham, there is a long LP of an older version of FM (14, I think) on the archives. After getting sacked from another 2nd division team, the LPer was hired by Wrexham.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

The "new" one was from FM18 and is long dead :rip:

Sadly, yes. Still, long live the Dragons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

The high point of the LP was when he abruptly lost his world class striker (alas, the Bastard of Wrexham) because he accidentally gave him a £0 minimum fee release clause instead of a £0 relegation release clause but the dumb AI bid his full value anyway

I remember that. I forget the in-game name of "The Bastard", but I do remember that he managed to immediately replace him with a Brazilian/Italian guy named Thiago who was just as good, or very nearly, and cheaper.

Seriously, the new guy had a 40-goal season the next year. Bloody marvelous.

Fake Edit: Just remembered the name of "The Bastard" as I was typing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

The whole mentality that is usually required to be a football star is so foreign to me. My feeling is why wouldn't I be happy to merely go on as a 70th minute substitute rather than play the whole grueling 90+ minutes if it pays the same? An athlete's body is literally his livelihood, you'd think he could appreciate the need for rest to keep it performing its best.

I get that appearance fees are a thing too but if I were running a big club I would sometimes rather just pay the full appearance fee anyway to give a star a rest in a match we're going to win anyway or that doesn't matter, if the money were all it was about.

subject-change edit: am I the only one who reacts to giving up a 91st minute goal to blow a clean sheet and win 3-1 instead of 3-0 with "hey thanks guys, you just saved me a bunch of money in clean sheet bonuses!" I wish that were a postgame team talk option.

As someone who used to play too much, frankly, in organised local leagues, I do see both sides of it. I personally arrived at the point where my body was breaking down because I was playing too much, and I had to dial it back. It wasn't just aches and pains; I genuinely started to look as if I had been beaten up and this is in utterly casual, not even semi-pro organised play. I wanted to play, my teammates needed me, I wanted to help them win and I didn't want to admit that I was beat to piss, so I carried on.

I used to play a catcher in baseball and that was similar as it is the most physically demanding position apart from perhaps starting pitcher. Catchers always have to take more days off than other non-pitchers. A big part of the problem is thus: of the following five popular team sports (baseball, association football, ice hockey, gridiron football and basketball), the latter three all have free substitution rules while baseball and association football, especially the latter, are very restricted. Baseball has no limit on substitutions (pitcher changes happen 3-6 times per match) but a player that leaves cannot return. Half a team is pitchers and there are generally only about 12 non-pitchers for 8 spots. Football has a long amount of match time, only three replacements and that's it. Basketball is free substitutions so long as the clock is stopped while ice hockey rotates "lines" every minute of live play or so. Gridiron football is a horrid mess of roided-up juggernauts who give each other crippling injuries to the body and brain, but there's 30 seconds off between each play and players are constantly streaming in and out. No offence to rugby or cricket etc, but I know very little about those sports.

I think that association football would be much better with more flexible and dynamic sub rules, but I know how the purists are. It would definitely help keep players fresh, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

In gridiron football it's a lot more than just 30 seconds between plays. There are 3+ minute TV timeouts constantly. Besides the three between-quarter breaks, you also have a "two minute warning" just before halftime and fulltime, a TV timeout after every scoring play (varies but on average about 7-8 per game), each team gets six timeouts per game, and a couple times per game there will be replay reviews that last several minutes.

And that's how you take over 3 hours to get through 60 minutes of game clock.

I had forgotten about that; you are correct. I find gridiron (as Aussies call it) abhorrent because of the hellishly high rate of brain injury, but it's interesting tactically and I will put the former aside for the sake of discussion. People enjoy what they enjoy and, again putting aside the brutal nature of gridiron, but people who try to say "soccer is boring and slow" in defence of gridiron is patently false for the reasons that you described. I like baseball, but it's a very slow part. Thing is, baseball fans don't try to deny that. Gridiron fans, who are 99% American, try to deny that in the face of genuine football where it is 90+ minutes of nonstop movement with very few breaks. For those of you who don't know, a lot of major US universities are basically exploited amateur sporting academies for gridiron and/or basketball. A professor at one if the biggest went to a home match and timed it with a stopwatch, starting and stopping it when the play began and ending at he whistle. The match took over three hours; I believe that he recorded just over 14 minutes of actual play.

Zaodai posted:

That said, it also adds the tactical layer of the offense trying to keep the "wrong" defense on the field by playing a style that doesn't allow the opponents time to properly swap out their subs, so it still has that interaction akin to lines in hockey. Also, I'm not sure if you're allowed to sub players during TV timeout if it's not one caused specifically by team-charged timeout. :thunk:

Unless I am grossly mistaken, in gridiron substitutions are freely allowed so long as play is dead. I don't know what I would do exactly about football sub rules, but I would definitely make them more flexible, especially for matches that go into extra time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zaodai posted:

"Play is dead" is not static. There are a set number of TV breaks per quarter negotiated into the TV contract. If stuff is really rolling and nobody takes a timeout, you still have to stop for commercials but you don't want to have TV viewers miss play. Usually this isn't an issue, because you'll have a penalty or someone will score, or there will be a turnover or something. But in the event it doesn't, then you can have a ref mandated stoppage that is strictly for the benefit of TV. Obviously the timer isn't running this but if I recall, play isn't truly "dead". Also in the event of defensive penalties in certain situations the defense can't swap to prevent an abuse where you intentionally take a penalty because eating the yardage is less painful to you than having the wrong personnel on the field and thus using the penalty as a makeshift timeout.

Interesting. I assumed that, during TV breaks (which I did know about), players took a drink of Gatorade, had a chat and everyone was able to make any replacements desired.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

algebra testes posted:

I may have relayed this story before, but I played low legal amateur baseball and if I was told they were rotating the squad and I wasn't playing on the weekend I'd get hella pissed.

This is something I did for free, recreationally. And I was bad at it.

So I can totally understand a pro who gets paid and is actually good not taking it well.

Edit I also understood team talks after our manager said "well these guys are the best so we're going to lose pressure off do your thing" it then started raining and we won a super scrapy game and we felt like utter gods after and our manager told us we did good.

I never had that issue because so few people knew how to catch, but I see your point. I can see a baseballer who plays a 162-game season taking a day off with grace, but if one only plays on the weekend then I can see that. Having said all of the previous, I have no patience for overpaid primadonnas.

To add a lighter note, during my period of playing too much football, I do remember when the local huge university let us start using their perfect artificial pitch. That was all my birthdays rolled into one because my legs were nothing but scars from sliding on badly-maintained pitches.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ScottyJSno posted:

First I love both sports, and gridiron needs to change for the health of the players.

Second, it is comparing apples to oranges IMO.

But I think (or maybe it is just me) what most gridiron fans are trying to articulate is that while Football is 90+ min of near consent motion and all around athleticism, each gridiron play (avg 160 per game) is 11 huge men running full speed at each other with reckless abandon for their own health. Every play is full speed, because of the enormous downtime between plays (and the armor worn).

The intensity of these plays versus usually more deliberate pace of football is notable. Watching live NFL near the field at full speed is frighting. It says something about the American psyche IMO.

I agree that it does say something frightening about the American psyche. I've lived in the US too long, and it's a horrifically violent culture. I cannot think of another team sport where violence is more inherent to the sport rather than an aberration that is not truly part of the game. Combined with the fact that it's very much an American game, as no other country really gives a gently caress about it, and that the US is a culture that worships its own farts, I'm not surprised it's so popular.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was so pleased when FM20 was free on Epic, and now I don't want to play it because it's clearly tat compared to 21. The only other FM that I own is '16, on Steam.

vyelkin posted:

When I was a lot younger I played amateur rugby for my local city club and it was a similar story. I was good enough to start most games and any time I didn't start I was super annoyed and just wanted to get in the game and prove I was good enough to start next time. I can imagine pro athletes who don't play every game being just like that, only more so.

I absolutely get it. I only really played two team sports a great deal: football and baseball. In the former case, I was a keeper because nobody else wants to play keeper and I was horrid at any other position but amazingly good between the posts. Keepers can play virtually every match professionally because it doesn't require running 10 km a go, but I played too much and wore my body down because I was 'gifted' at a position that nobody else wanted to play, so everybody asked me to play. Obviously that's an extreme case, and a top-flight club keeper takes very few matches off.

In the case of baseball, I was a catcher/reçeveur, which is another highly specialised position but one that is brutal on the body, especially the knees. Again, I was shite at every other position other than occasional pitching (I had a very strong arm), few people wanted to play behind the plate (hot, demanding, hard on the body, have to wear armour all the time etc) and fewer could do it well. Once again, a lot of people wanted me to play for them, but I knew that I had to rest more for my own sake. Even younger pro catchers take off 20-25 games per year, but it still rankles an athlete to have to sit since sporting careers are short. That said, the manager has to think of the team, not just the player himself, so he has to do what he has to do.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

Of note to anyone unfamiliar is that pro baseball players play games every day. Not quite literally, they'll get two or three days off in a month. But when he says a top pro catcher gets 20-25 games off per year, that means he is catching about 135 games in six months.

I have no idea how the hell they do it. It's brutal.

Absolutely correct - thank you for quantifying this and it is brutal. It will never happen because $$$$, but I wish that they would go back to the post-war schedule of 144 games instead of 162. That would add about three off days per month, which is a big deal.

Julio Cruz posted:

my favourite baseball thing I use to shock non-baseball fans is Cal Ripken Jr's games played streak

the Premier League record for consecutive games started by an outfield player is held by Frank Lampard with 164

well football is a much more demanding sport than baseball, you say, and that's fair enough, so let's include goalkeepers - the record there is 310 games, held by Brad Friedel

Cal Ripken played, consecutively, 2632 games

Also very good numbers. I new about Ripken, but I used to be a Chelsea fan and I had forgotten about Frank. He was a loving iron-man. I remember that in the early PES games he was one of very few players rated 8 out of 8 for endurance. Keep in mind, though, that that only includes Premier League matches and not necessary cups, European competition etc

I would also point out that Cal did all of that while playing shortstop and third base. The former, especially, is a position that requires fast reflexes and range. First base is by far the easiest position in baseball to play, and usually the worst defenders are put there, but shortstop is no joke and it makes that feat even more ridiculous. Keep in mind that a pro baseball season is 162 games spread over six months, barring post-season, and that mid-game substitutions of non-pitchers are very rare due to small roster sizes. Cal played from 30 May 1982 to 19 September 1998 without missing a single game. There were a few strike-shortened seasons in there, but that was about 60 games lost total. He literally did not miss a match for 16 seasons.

Edit: I just wanted to add that the consecutive games at catcher streak is 312, and the most games caught in a career is 2,472

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 21, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Contracts and transfer budgets are much different than in baseball, along with the idea of stepping stone clubs and unhappy players unsettling your squad and so on. But it isn't anything that you can't figure out if you are already into management sims.

Player development feels less random than OOTP to me.

That was something that I really did not like. I think that it is editable, but it loves to take an elite prospect and make him suddenly lose all ability.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's OOTP's clumsy way of trying to model the reality that often an elite baseball prospect will fail to make the jump in level from A to AA, or from AA/AAA to the majors.

Of course it also frequently happens to established major leaguers too.

I put thousands of hours into OOTP before jumping into FM knowing nothing and caring nothing about soccer and ending up putting thousands of hours into FM. When I have a spare half hour I'll write a long effortpost about it, because why not.

I am aware that it happens to major ML prospects, but I would like a man-made interpretation of baseball to at least allow the player to have less chaotic randomness in building young players.

As for the effortpost, I would definitely read it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Crazy Ted posted:

Twenty saves by Watkins :stonk:

That's a 10.0 if there ever was one.

I saw that. As a former keeper, I was cheering for a guy that doesn't exist.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

jesus WEP posted:

ngl the killer feature that would make FM a must-buy is the ability to start playing in any year going back to the 60s or 70s, probably would be impossible because of the data involved as compared to doing same for like baseball

Good point. I am fairly sure that the more recent OotP games let the player start back in time and 'change history'. I've always kind of wanted to start with the Expos in 1969 and see if I can make them into a champion and keep them the gently caress out of Washington.

gently caress Jeff Loria

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

You've been able to start as any team at any point in history back to I think 1901 in OOTP for at least 10 years. That and the ease of setting up totally custom leagues are the best things OOTP has going for it.

1000000% agree with this sentiment, but apparently baseball's eventual abandonment of Montreal also had a lot to do with Quebec's aggressive policies on taxation and exchange rates after Canada decoupled its dollar from the U.S. dollar in the 70s. The billionaire owners in MLB collectively determined to move the team after a couple years of asking the Quebecois government for exceptions (which they did get, eventually, as regards Toronto) and being told to go to hell.

Yes, how dare billionaires have to pay tax, of all things.

Teams should be community owned regardless.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sassassin posted:

I brought Bale in on trial and after playing him in two friendlies I kind of dig the wide target man thing. Just a big lump standing on one side of the pitch smashing in shots and crosses without any other care in the world.

Sign him and then loan him back to Spurs.

Art imitates life.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sassassin posted:

I haven't asked what he wants in wages yet I want him to turn 33 before horrifying myself. My highest earner (not including the loans) is on £1k/week.

That LP of FM... 14? on the archives picked up Mid-30s Messi at one point. He had one fine season playing half-time, became useless in the top echelon during the second season and then retired.

That's one thing I just hate about football... everyone but keepers is basically past it by 31. Association football, that is... in American football everyone is past it at 31 and has multiple brain injuries.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
My favourite line about Rooney was when David Mitchell said 'He can't even count up to how much money he has'

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sassassin posted:

Someone's rattled. A draw here wins me the title over the opposition. If I lose I have two more games to get a win.

edit: They played 3 strikers so I had to make a 10th minute sub to change to 3 at the back. First half penalty pretty much settled things. Simple 2-0 win for the new champs.

Did you go with 3 central defenders and two lateral midfielders, or a full 5-man back line? I've always favoured two fullbacks, two defenders and a libero/sweeper when I am 'parking the bus'.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sassassin posted:

5-3-2 WB. It wasn't so much about parking the bus as making sure all 3 strikers were picked up when we went forward, which wasn't happening in a back 4 with my fullbacks supporting attacks. When they couldn't abuse the extra man to trigger "counters" they didn't have much to offer.

I dominated possession in midfield with a flat 3 and target man dropping in from the front, plus the wingbacks not having to mark anyone.

edit: Because of the winter world cup my end of season break is from October 26th until January 16th. Going to have some seriously fat players in preseason. Training camp in sunny Portugal isn't until mid-March.

I was going to suggest using a deep-lying defensive mid dedicated to the middle striker, but it looks like it worked out regardless.

Some people play a flat 3 back, but I never know what to do without a fullback on either side. I can get attacking width in other ways, but on defence the wings are wide open and the opposition's wide midfielders are just shooting fish in a barrel with all of those easy crosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Can't you just have him train up his left foot?