Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Just powered through my first season and got Colchester into the Championship via the playoffs. No money available and a £2k/wk wage budget rise that all went on keeping Marvin Sordell from leaving, whee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Seconding the advice on ignoring the AI, it doesn't have a clue. I've got a Villa side up to 6th inside two seasons with a tactic that makes my assman go crazy. "The gap between our midfield and defence is too big, we need to hold back on tackles, we're never going to score", he cries as I batter United 3 - 1 at Old Trafford.

You can do well with any tactic so long as you've got the players for it. My tactic is a flat back four with two defensive midfielders, three skillful AMs on Attack and a target man. It goes against every piece of advice I've seen and it's (relative to the club) the most successful tactic I've had since 2014.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
What's up with Mario Gotze in this game? Arsenal got him for £25m after one season in the beta, this time around I got him on a free for Villa after a year without a club. He's only 26 and still one of the best AMs in the world.

Speaking of Arsenal, they sold me Carl Jenkinson for a couple of mil, bought him back after 18 months for £10m, dumped him in the reserves without playing a single game, then sold him back to me for £5m six months later. Also they're now managed by David Moyes.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
After 3 years finishing 7th-8th with Villa, there just isn't the funds to crack the top six and my stars are getting restless. Butland already jumped ship and Shaqiri keeps agitating for a move to Spurs that I keep rejecting because nobody half as good will come.

I've brought in Alex Iwobi and Michael Frey to add goals to the midfield and stop them passing it around the box for hours on end. Also applying the advice in this thread to try to stop Benteke being such a donkey.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I had to let Idrissa Gueye go because he couldn't get a work permit extension. I know I'm only Villa, but he's not even thirty and started almost every game for the last four years. This system is dumb.

Hopefully Gary Medel's legs have another season left in them because there's gently caress-all in terms of defensive midfielders around at the moment.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Finally cracked the top six, pipping Spurs to fifth on the final day of the season to make it into Europe. The next day Benteke starts agitating for a move to a bigger club. The club in question? loving Reading.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Another season, another transfer window spent fending off constant Spurs bids for Xherdan Shaqiri. The amount never changes, either, always £18m rising to £23m with add-ons, and they bid two or three times a week every transfer window. I've got him set to Reject All Offers but you've got to admire their determination.

At least we're now a big enough club that he hadn't complained this year. He used to throw a tantrum every August, calm down and sign a contract extension in September, then kick off again in January.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Every single year I'll have two periods where I have to play every big team back to back and I'll have to pick morale out of the toilet after a run of draws/losses. No poo poo I haven't won in six, I've just played City/Arsenal/Inter/Chelsea/Inter/Spurs!

The worst is when it happens in September or March, either leaving me in relegation trouble and making morale even worse or hobbling me just before the finish line and tanking my run-in.

Why did they code this in? The thing where you're more likely to play a team in the cup ring after you play them in the league is fun, this is just artificial difficulty.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The best formation is 5-3-2 with 3 CBs and attacking wing backs, because a glass ceiling develops post-Brexit with big clubs hoarding any decent AM who can get a work permit until it's hopeless trying to compete. Ligue 1 is full of ball-playing defenders who rack up caps for small African nations and the AI hates wing backs to the point of dumping even world class prospects into the reserves, so just fill your team with those and win every game 1 - 0.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'd love a technical wing back but I don't think they'd work in my lovely 8-behind-the-ball strategy. My board give me no money and my entire system is based around absorbing constant attacks and hitting on the break so everything else takes a back seat to being able to run like gently caress for ninety minutes.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I prefer the match engine so far, especially the decline in the forty-yard screamers that seemed to decide every other game in 17. I think I've seen one from Sanchez and one from Rooney but a loose clearance from a corner no longer means certain death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The kid from my u18s who was looking like the second coming of Henry just did his ligaments in a pre season friendly and is out for 7 months :cry:

Just signed Ronaldo on a one-year deal, though, so that'll keep his space in the squad warm