Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Can I edit the regen hairstyles and make them animes? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I still can't get over how ugly the managers look. I know FM is supposed to be playable on a huge range of machines (and that's good), but man

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

So I just signed a "good" regen winger without realizing he has a 1 for workrate, yes folks that's right a loving 1. What on earth does the match engine do with that, does he just stand around all game?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Yesterday I actually tried to use the advanced editor, which makes me a retard.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Can you ever have players with late development in this game - like from 26-30? I know the loading tips say players at some positions have their "prime" at around 30, but the assistant manager always says they've "reached their full potential" if they're not kids.

I'm in League One and I picked up this free transfer 26-year-old regen fullback who's just been sitting in AC Milan's reserves for five years. They spent a lot of money on him when he was young and his "value" is way out of whack with the rest of my team even though he's nothing special. I'm guessing he's a high PA player and I'm also guessing I'll get nothing out of that.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

kingturnip posted:

I think I might have found the holy grail: a genuine potentially-talented Mongolian player.

My scout gave him 3 stars for Potential, which my Coaches are backing up now that he's signed for us.
For context, 3 stars would be 'Good for German Budesliga'. I'll be ditching this game for FM18 long before he's ready for the First Team, but who cares.

It doesn't look like he came from an MLS club academy, but they'll produce players with straight up random second nationalities. Like all the tiny islands, Crimea, Mongolia, Zanzibar, everything

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Friedrich "New Labour" Banza

Seriously I've always hated the way they've handled positions in this game. Almost anyone at a top club in the original DB has green and yellow all over the midfield. Kevin Phillips was an academy + lower league right back before someone decided he was really a striker! But if Friedrich here plays on the right for too long, he'll forget how to play on the left. But even though the tactics screen shows a bright red "DO NOT PICK" it doesn't really...matter if someone's out of position, it just dings your decisions a little bit, right? Or is that an FM urban legend (there are probably a ton of those)

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 4, 2018

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Masonity posted:

It is still viable at the very top level. I'm 6 seasons in, and over the last 5 seasons I've spent £160million on regens*. So around £32 million a year, or around a third of my transfer budgets. As a result though, I now have 4 first team players and 6 substitutes from that haul. Call it £16 million per player? They are all under 21, with the first team players being valued at £25 mil, 2x £42 mil and £54 mil while the subs are mostly around the £15 mil mark with a few in the £40ms and £50ms and one who's still sub £10 million because he's a young Keeper with very little play time. I've also sold one for around £20 million already (so £140 million net spend, or £14 million per match day squad player) and have a bunch out on loan or in the first team squad but not the matchday 18 who will either step up into the team, end up valuable reserve players or sell for £20 million plus. Based on their development already, my youth hoarding should be profitable in about 2 or 3 years when I start letting the first batch of "failed" prospects go. And it's already allowed me to have an overall net transfer profit at the club while building a far better team than Arsenal start with, despite a few vanity purchases, some of which went wrong and lost me money.

And it isn't hurting my development of my own players either, there's three players in my first XI from my academy and another out on loan who might make the step up next year.

*I'm not including a £66 million 18 year old regen I just paid up for because he's not a development player, he's straight into the first team to replace De Ligt who went to Real Madrid for £124 million

Yeah, it works the same way as it's always worked going up the leagues too. You're cash-strapped and you have a low reputation, so the good prime-age players won't come near you. Big club castoff regens, regens from other small clubs (if you're in a country where small clubs can produce decent players), loans and old men. Of course, development almost doesn't matter because of bad facilities + boards just taking the big offers.

Happy about my very smart, very fast, technically horrendous new signing miraculously scoring a Goal in his debut

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

It’s definitely possible to set a nationality limit for a specific club in the *spooky voice* advanced rules. Pretty sure it works and the AI won’t sign foreigners with it.

I’ll get the image when my computer’s done windows updating

ed:

Editor --> rules --> add nation rules --> pick your nation --> add lower divisions and cups to existing --> rules --> convert to advanced. Then you have to find the fixture rules number that corresponds with your competition. Set for every level in the pyramid I guess, then rules-->test.

Advanced rules don't let you go crazy (I know some stuff like MLS is untouchable) but I think almost everything like this was a black box before 19?

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 18, 2019

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Bogan Krkic posted:

The best solution is using the weird offbrand facegen system that uses your real photo and superimposes it insanely badly onto one of the misshapen lumps of clay they use as a 3D manager model

My picture actually looked great on that the first version they put it in. Tried it again the next year and my head became a perfectly spherical Hitler.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Any ETA on pressing not being totally broken? Because jeeeeesus. My impulse control is way too lovely to not press the win game button

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Nah he was right, they still do that poo poo.

I think AI squadbuilding and that kind of stuff is way better than it's been, to the point that it's the only reason I still play the game, but I don't get the point of making hard and fast rules like this.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Nah it's just a way to get the Polish AI to not sign too many players straight from Africa because if you look at a list of foreign ekstraklasa players it barely happens. They have a ton of African players but they're euro league journeymen, they don't have scouting/agent ties with leagues in Africa. Other leagues that are similar to Poland that do sign more African players don't have that -1 thing.

Obviously I still think making random Ghanaians never want to join your club as a player is a dumb way to handle it though.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

my favourite is when players go into a weeks-long sulk because I congratulated them on their first international cap/goal

This might be a top-10 Strange FM Thing but it's even stranger when combined with how shy the game is about making licensed players look bad. If I have 1 professionalism and 1 ambition which, some days I fuckin' might, my personality will only ever show up as "balanced," the funny ones are only for regens. I think things like diving for fouls and crowding the ref technically are in the game but it doesn't try to bring attention to them. No handbags, violent conduct, normal shithouse stuff. And there's that thing about missing training (and maybe going on strike?) that's regens-only. But then half the player interaction is them going "gently caress you for congratulating me."

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Why is squad rotation so difficult for the AI? It's not like you really have to do it that artfully, and they sign more than enough backup players.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I always thought the youth team stuff was handled at a level of abstraction where it wouldn’t care if your only three prospects were left backs or maybe even keepers, it would just develop them and play them as usual? I guess it’s good if it isn’t tbh

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

It always sounded like an overpromise to me. I don't even trust the game to make enough regens for the African countries after the first year or two. Big underachievers like Mexico/Russia/Turkey always seemed to be handled pretty well - great national youth rating, poor club facilities. Do the Racism Ratings for like regens' professionalism and temperament still exist under the hood?

So we know national youth rating doesn't go up too fast, but how fast does it go down? Can I destroy England?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

FM is still a comfort thing for me so it would have been cool if they did anything interesting with the new game at all