Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
My Irish First Division team just won promotion to the Premier Division after a run of over-performance with some lucky loans and veteran players who will surely start to decline soon. I've strengthened the squad as best as I can after selling on a couple unhappy but talented players. My tactic is an overloading 4-2-2-2 with two wingers and two advanced forwards.

For those with more experience than I: can I still expect this tactic to yield results in the higher league? Should I adopt a more defensive play style? My board won't let me hire any better coaching staff or improve my training grounds and I've now used up the bulk of my transfer budget. I'd like to stay up if possible and hopefully improve things for a midtable run next season but I haven't found myself in this position before and would love some advice.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

So if I play a 1-3-5 set to fully defensive I'll stop conceding goals?

I'm rolling with the 4-4-2 and it's brought me to two wins two draws and a loss in the first five matches of the season. As long as my meager squad can stay healthy I think I'll be able to stay up.

I am worried about the dreaded tantrum spiral. Or poor morale spiral from losing just one match. What's the best way to combat that if you can't bring in new players? Just leave the sourpusses off the roster until we get a lucky win?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I brought Finn Harps to EURO Cup quals after only a season. Made it through our first opponents, but lost hard to the next crew, a Swiss Super Lig side.

With the added cash to the coffers I made some big buys but we were never able to perform quite as well again. My youngsters never panned out due to poor training facilities and I wasted money on players my scouts swore were 4* at least, but who ended up being dunces who'd forget to breathe if I didn't tell them to.

So, eventually relegation loomed and I jumped ship to Shrewsbury in 2027, who were playing in League 2. They didn't have much money to play around with so I hung on to some draws playing extremely defensively. Then a £400k transfer offer came in for a center back who was planning on retiring. So I bought some of my better players from Finn Harps who were used to my system.

We went on two undefeated runs, one of 10 games and one of 11, lifting us into the playoffs. We won easy over Scunthorpe and played in front of God and everyone at Wembley (80k people is a lot!) against Leyton Orient. They erased our two goal lead and we stayed even through the extra time. It would be penalties.

My crew was dog-tired and I had already resigned myself to a loss. But Leyton's side was even more wiped and we eventually won out. Euphoria!

I even won League 2 manager of the year despite only being at the helm for about 7 months.

Love this game.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 20, 2022

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

First impressions from the 23 beta now that it's out. Scouting is a lot easier and more rewarding. I think the squad planner is cool but I don't get into the weeds enough that I'll really use it much. Match engine seems about the same but there's a lot more randomness in the animations and passes and stuff. Things seem less predetermined. I imagine this is more just on the number and quality of animations added though. I doubt terribly much has changed with the calculations.

Kind of a bummer that international play and managing a national squad seems unchanged. Would've expected them to do a little more with it since the World Cup is about to begin.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Just got sacked from my first job in FM23 at Yantra Gabrovo in Bulgaria (I wanted to get away from England and my wife thought their logo was cute). I need to start paying better attention I guess. I pulled in a handful of decent young players for depth but most of my attention was on the tactic. It never quite came together despite looking okay in preseason. Won and drew a couple of games to start off. Then lost five straight and got the sack.

There were some unfortunate injuries but even so we just couldn't score. Do y'all usually build your tactics from scratch based on your best XI? Or do you have a favorite tactic that you usually use and find guys that fit it?

Anyways I'm at another Bulgarian club now and am using the tactic my rear end man recommended with a few minor tweaks. Transfer window just opened but I'm not sure I really need to do much. I'd know for sure but I can't find the squad depth thing that was in 22. It's probably part of the new squad planner but I can't figure it out. It showed all the positions based on your current tactic and how many players fit those roles and their current abilities.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I also follow the Lollujo method of "pick most stars" and now I'm broke and my players, fans, and board hate me and I just set the record for most draws in a season. Might need to grow some patience and learn how to manage salaries and tactics and stuff. I usually play the mobile version the most and it's pared down to quite a simple version. I'll be a pro by the time FM30 comes around :downs:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Adrianics posted:

Starting to get annoyed that I get told that my team doesn't like the team selection, but won't tell me what it is about it, exactly, that they don't like

One of my coaches keeps being irate that I have "Hold up the ball" as part of the tactic and I can't for the life of me figure out what he means. I don't see that as an instruction, let alone one I've selected.

Also been having lots of trouble with injuries. My starting keeper sprained his ankle about 20min into a match and the backup I subbed in broke his wrist within a minute. I've got a full and decent physio team and am not working anyone too hard but people keep getting hurt. Not sure if it's overtuned or what, but I'm comfortably first in my league for injured players.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I've only got about 40 hours in FM24 but haven't had a single crash. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Been itching to get back into the game since the data update and I think I'm gonna give your league a try, thanks Mrenda :)