Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Found a pretty good article on Reddit about the origins of FM at the Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Sassassin is completely right about the limited roles. I have literally never seen anyone say "setting my player to a limited defender did the trick". Don't ever use those unless your player has 1s for all his attributes.

For tactical familiarity, you have to get it ready during the preseason, otherwise you're screwed for half the season.

The best things you can do are the following:

Set Match training (the slider) all the way to the left (More Match Training)
Set Match preparation to Match Tactics
Schedule at least 10 preseason matches, with a match every third day

For a morale boost, schedule an extremely weak opponent for the last friendly before your competitive season begins.

Once the season begins, move that slider from the first step back to the middle.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Humbaba posted:

I started a QPR save in pre-release and won the Championship in the first season (aka about a week after the pre-release opened) and came in 7th in my first season in the Premier League. Tactics were a 433 and a 4231 with roles set generally to what my players were most comfortable with. And then, around release or a week after, it all went to poo poo. I went from scoring 2 or 3 goals a match to scraping 1 goal. This was with better players, too. I think this is down to match engine changes since my tactics didn't drastically change. Am I alone in seeing this, or is it just a reflection of Premier League teams starting to take me seriously?

I think there was a patch around then that messed up a lot of people's tactics (and fullbacks).

Alternatively, other teams may have recognized you as a threat and gone for the counter. If that's the case, try slowing down play a bit and reducing the number of attacking roles.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Fat Lowtax posted:

So I just signed a "good" regen winger without realizing he has a 1 for workrate, yes folks that's right a loving 1. What on earth does the match engine do with that, does he just stand around all game?

Beats me. Start him and watch the full 90 mins (in Prozone view) and tell us what he does.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Getting involved in play generally is - perversely - Aggression. There is grey area overlap between the two because the coders sing from their own inconsistent hymn sheets, but the official definition of Work Rate is that it's the Pressing attribute.

Are you sure about this?

GuidetoFootballManager says:

quote:

How likely a player is to choose to get involved in a physical situation and how much he exerts physical force in such situations.

Physical situations include attempting to tackle an opposition player, marking an opposition player and competing with an opposition player to get to the ball.

The likelihood of violent or other unsporting behaviour is not directly affected by Aggression, but instead by the hidden attributes Dirtiness and Sportsmanship.

However, higher Aggression does make fouls more likely to be commited as a result of greater involvement in physical situations. Therefore, a player with higher Aggression would benefit from good Tackling, Anticipation, Concentration and Decisions so that he is less likely to commit fouls.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Different grounds are set up in different ways. Sometimes the dugouts are in the corners or below the cameras.

They were pushing to get accurate data for all football league grounds for this years game but quietly sidelined the feature once the researchers had done all the work.

Out of curiosity, how do you get all this inside information?

Also, if you have any other insights like the one about Aggression and Work rate, please feel free to keep posting them. That blew my mind.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Does anyone have a good wingerless tactic? I've just started with Cagliari and they have one (poo poo) winger.

You can always try 4-2-2-2, 3-5-2, 5-3-2, and/or the 4-1-2-1-2.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah the 4-1-2-1-2 was my go to in a few of the previous versions but I'm having very little luck getting it to function so far. Fullbacks are getting isolated and either hit bad crosses or shoot from stupid angles.

I have a really good deep lying midfielder/regista amd would love to use him as a Pirlo type but it seems hard to get it working well in the match engine. Also what's the best combination using two strikers?

I usually only play with one forward, but I'd imagine you could do the big man/little man combo effectively. Just don't bother with the Target Man roles, though. The engine takes that to mean that all your players should hoof it up to him a lot more than you like. Maybe try CF/DLF/DF/F9/T with an AF or Poacher? I hate to say it, but it's going to depend on your tactics. If you have fullbacks with good crossing, try an AF or Poacher if he has good Jumping/Heading.

Alternatively, look at why your fullbacks are making bad decisions. If they're isolated, try changing the roles around them to give them options. Another option would be to bump up your Team Shape to Fluid or Very Fluid, since it will compress your team's shape.

Two other options are setting your Width to Narrow/Fairly Narrow, or using fullback roles that let you tell them to Sit Narrower.

For the DLP/Regista, it can work, but you're going to need to find a way to protect your back line when they go wandering up the field. Try partnering him with a DM or Anchorman and see if that helps.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Meltdowns ahoy - Cleon (https://sisportscentre.com) and Rashidi (Bustthenet) have announced they're going to stop writing blogs about FM, citing a lack of affiliate support from SI. Good luck to everyone who'll try to figure out the match engine in FM 2017.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mandalay posted:

I'm so confused as to why they would be weeks behind schedule since I have very little appreciation of how hard the work between releases is. Wish I could glance at their project management timeline to understand.

T - 1 month: Copy/paste last year's code for match engine
T - 30 days: Have intern come up with a new press conference question
T - 29 days: Take a volunteer's match engine improvements for use in a beta
T - 28 days: Randomly change UI
T - 27 days: Incorporate slaves' database updates
T - 26 days: Start a beta test
T - 25 days: Send out tweets with random images from UI & ME
T - 24 days: Make videos of Miles self-fellating over new version at Vicarage Road
T - 3 days: Have intern's 3 year old nephew use MS Paint for new animations/graphics
T - 2 days: Throw out improvements to ME, add some random code
T - 0 days: Profit

Shroud
May 11, 2009
You need to buy your players pizza. New option only available in FM17, though.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Screen grabs from the new video for FM2017:

Click here

Edit: Chief Data Analyst staff position confirmed. God help us all.

Shroud fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 19, 2016

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I am seriously beginning to despise the morale system in 16. Playing as Arsenal, at home, against Villa. Petr Cech (33 years old, Model Professional personality) is nervous. We're also up 1-0 at the half.

WHY IS HE SO GODDAMN NERVOUS?

Telling him "No pressure" has no effect. Who comes up with this?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

jyrka posted:

Hmm, I requested my board to add more seats to the stadium, which they accepted. Then a bit later they decided to build a new stadium. Now, somehow, the new arena is due to be finished before the expansion of the current stadium. I wonder what's going to happen.

You'll move to the new stadium, which will have less capacity than the old one + expansion. They city council won't let you expand, and you'll have to wait at least 20 years to be able to request a new stadium. The old stadium will be your training ground, so that you won't be able to move back into it.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Stotty posted:

Hopefully better than last year where I actually enjoyed the beta then the final version match engine was lovely.

This is why I didn't pre-order like I usually do. I heard good things about FM16 and the match engine during beta, but we know how that turned out.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm no expert, but if you have players with good Work rate/Stamina/Tackling, close down more often to disrupt their pretty passing.

Also, try to see where they have most of their possession. If it's in your half, try using a DM if you're not already using one. If it's in their own half, try an AM with high Work rate. Reduce their space and options.

On a related note, I think I've figured out the "Prevent Short GK Distribution" shout. It doesn't look like it does that it all. Instead, I've noticed that it makes my more advanced players close down opposition defenders all the time. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but from watching, it should be called "Close Opposition Defenders Down MUCH More Often".

Assassin, you're the resident FM expert - does that match what you know?

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Did the match engine change from the beta to the final release?

Only asking because I remember last year everyone was praising it in the beta, then the release happened, then crosses became op.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah it did haha, I didn't get fooled into "beta testing" for them this year, but my mate says the 17.1 prerelease patch changed the match engine for the worse again exactly like last time. It really shows how much contempt they have for feedback.

e: newer steam reviews talk about this as well.

What do they think we're beta testing exactly, the data analysts and social media stuff? They hand out the beta every year with some fake match engine that they change opposite to what people ask for.

Wtf is up with 2016? Between the elections (U.S.), Apple's MBPro, and now FM, I'm about to start lighting candles and sacrificing goats to turn things around.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
One of the members of the Deep Lying Podcast has been using Assombalonga with Sttutgart. Assombalonga is absolutely destroying the Bundesliga as a CF-A there.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mandalay posted:

There's an FM podcast? How is it?

I like it. They talk about their tactics, player roles, mentalities, other people's saves, etc. They usually have a good guest on as well.

The audio quality varies between ok and garbage, because none of them are in the same location.

Edit: There's usually also a community update that goes over what various youtubers/streamers are up to.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

Fullbacks on automatic is really good because it means you can't forget to set their instructions individually per game

FYI, your wingbacks are on defensive duty.

Your mentality is Counter (defensive), so anyone on Automatic is going to use that. If what you're using works, more power to you, but :effort:.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mickolution posted:

I've had trouble getting work permits in 2017. I have 3 players who are out on loan until I can get one. I tried for one of them earlier and got one, so I decided to try for another one. Every time I click on Apply For Work Permit, I get a message saying when the decision will be made, but then nothing happens. I don't get any message about it and can apply again. Anyone else had this? Should I just keep trying and it'll work eventually?

I think you usually have to wait a bit for the decision. I had one that took a week for the decision to be made.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

If someone already has the personality and PPMs you want, is there any point in tutoring them?

If the tutor has the same personality, and hopefully higher Determination, sure.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Determination is a junk attribute.

Doesn't that attribute influence how a player reacts when the other team has the lead?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

I did that with a few swansea players. Dan James deserves a picture.

Concentration 10 means that lad is only going to use those attributes 2/5ths of the time during games. Expect a lot of howlers. Coaches say anything about his consistency?

Doesn't effect physicals, though, so at least you know he'll run fast.

Every time I think I've started to figure out this game, I see something that makes me feel like the world's biggest idiot.

So concentration is not a attribute that's mainly used for defending? I thought that it measured how well defenders paid attention to what was going on, and that lower levels meant they would switch off near the end of a match.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Drone posted:

Is there really any reason whatsoever to get FM17 if I already have FM16?

Like, I know the difference between annual releases for these games is generally pretty small, but maybe something got shaken up this year idk.

They sort of nerfed the overpowered crossing.

If you're into that kind of thing, there's more analysis stuff.

Social media (even though it's as God awful as media interactions).

Runs faster now that the executable is 64 bit.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I think Klose had some money on this match:

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I thought I was getting better at this game, especially after my new formation seemed to be an auto-win button:

Then I found out that packing the middle is the AI's kryptonite in 17, and the new meta.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

Also, Nabil Dirar as a wing-back? What happened to Benjamin Mendy?

Dirar is right-footed, Mendy is left. I really need my WBs for width against teams playing defensively.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Well yeah, you didn't have the might of Gabby Agbonlahor and Nigel Reo-Coker to call upon like I did.

To this day, the only thing I know about Agbonlahor is that he tackled this one kid from a boy band and made him cry. I don't want to anything else because that would only dilute his greatness to me.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Is there a good database update for the end of this transfer window?

Shroud
May 11, 2009
To answer my question about database updates for 2017/2018, I've found one here:

FMInside

Giving it a try now...

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm 99% sure that the range is 1 - 20, not an abstracted 1 - 100. I remember reading a while ago that there's a decimal place that's not shown.

That's why you can often see a red or green arrow next to a rating, even though it's showing the same number as before.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Is there even a reason to have more than one Head Physio/Physio/Sport Scientist/etc?

Sometimes I think that they might be useful for scouting knowledge, but they know so little I wind up firing all but one. Never noticed a difference in injuries, even while playing as Arsenal.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Didn't some FM player find a Filipino player a few years ago that the national team manager had never heard of? I want to say that he worked out well for the team, but I can't remember the details.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
You guys are on the ball.

Wikipedia posted:

Early in 2005, the Philippine Football Federation was alerted to Younghusband's eligibility by an anonymous gamer who allegedly found out about their lineage via playing Football Manager. He and his older brother, James, were eventually called up to the Southeast Asian nation's football squad, amidst much fanfare.

He played for the Philippines Under-23 national squad in the 2005 Southeast Asian Games. Younghusband scored two goals in the Philippines 4–2 loss to Malaysia. He was part of the seniors Philippine national team. Younghusband participated in the ASEAN Football Championship and scored 6 goals in 4 appearances and ended up top scorer in the qualifiers.

During the 2012 AFC Challenge Cup Phil scored two goals against 2008 champion India in a 2–0 win, making it the first win by the Philippines against India ever. Younghusband scored again in a match against former champions Tajikistan that ended 2–1 to the Philippines, enabling the country to reach the semi-finals for the first time. The Philippines were matched against 2010 runners-up Turkmenistan in the semi-finals. Younghusband opened the scoring early on, but Turkmenistan eventually struck back twice, winning the match 2–1. Because of this, the Philippines were relegated to a battle for third place against Palestine. The match eventually ended in a 4–3 win for them with two goals from Phil Younghusband. He eventually won the golden boot award after scoring 6 goals in the whole tournament. The third-place finish marked the best achievement for the Philippines since the years of the Far Eastern Games.[

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Looks like we have new player roles for FM18. Saw a screenshot on the new recruiting video that had Segundo Volante, Inverted Winger, Mezzalla, and Carrilero. I can guess at Inverted Winger, but I don't have the slightest idea what the others do.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Saw on Reddit that Mezzalla is something like a central winger who occupies the half-space, and Segundo Volante is a CDM who is responsible for shuttling the ball up the field as well, requiring a lot stamina.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I wish they'd just add a generic role for each position, and let us choose the instructions. Forwards really bug me. For example, I can't get a forward to hold the ball up, dribble less, and make less risky passes without using a target man, because I don't want the long ball mentality that goes with that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Chickpea Roar posted:

I just got a message from an agent telling me this regen is available for free:

Anyone see any glaring problems with the guy?

Scout him to see if he's injury prone.