Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yes, I am sure. My information doesn't come from a third-party guesswork website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In a possession tactic you don't need any attack roles at all.

Or defend.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Not even your Fullbacks?

Especially not fullbacks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ragingsheep posted:

sassassin, does having +4 stars in all coaching categories make that much of a difference or am I just wasting my time trying to sort out the backroom staff?

Not as much as having good facilities and giving the players adequate gametime, avoiding heavy workload in any area and only if you are focusing on developing youth instead of buying players that are already good. There's too many variables involved for the difference between 3 and 4 star to matter much imo.

I make my manager a good defensive coach, hire a couple of great fitness coaches with regional reputation on the cheap, and hire some other warm bodies with the right nationalities to increase my scouting knowledge in Europe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Humbaba posted:

It's been ages since I read it, but in one of the player development threads on thedugout someone made a case that tactical coaching is the best thing for young players as it helps develop mental stats faster, and between high tactical coaching and mentoring a player could be brought to their potential in a couple years less time. Is there any truth to that?

Depends what you want from the player.

'Potential' is just how many attribute points a player can gain. It's probably faster to use up those points if you go heavy on tactical because young players naturally gain physical and technical attributes faster (and the opposite for older players), but if you've made your future centreforward better at positioning he's not going to score more goals for you.

Doubling down on fitness work might give less of a net gain per month or something, but if you don't make the most of speed and strength gains young the player may never get them. An injury or two in their mid-twenties and you might be stuck with a well-rounded Pace <13 winger.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pace doesn't matter, the difference between pace 1 and 20 is tiny. Acceleration, strength and composure are probably combining well for him.

Not having sky high flair is also a good thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All else being equal, pace 1 is 75% as fast as pace 20.

As even Per Mertesacker has pace 11 or something, on its own it's not a huge difference maker.

Acceleration is king.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Jenkinson gets assists because the match engine can't mark full backs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Revenant Threshold posted:

My players keep complaining about the quality of the tactical coaching. I have two perfectly fine coaches for it. What might I be overlooking, or should I just ignore them?

Their workload is too high.

You need 3 sometimes 4 coaches in every area for a decent size squad but only one needs to be any good as the highest star rating is all that matters. Employ some idiots to put out the cones in multiple categories.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The issue with leaving 3 up top in a "counter" tactic is that the opposition won't push as many men forward. Less players committed means less players over-committed and less chance that a counter opportunity will trigger. Which is bad because counters have been buffed like crazy this year.

Mentalities and roles don't actually matter much in a counter strategy, as once a counter attack starts all your players instructional settings get maxed out until the phase is over. Everyone goes direct, high tempo, forward runs often etc.

"Suitable players" is a myth. Positional familiarity means very little. Any full-back, attacking winger or box-to-box cm can play wide midfield no problem.

Shape on the tactics screen is your defensive shape so just make sure you've got lots of players standing nearer your goal than the other one. You don't even need good defenders because everyone will have lots of cover. Counter is easy mode.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Lowtax posted:

Can you ever have players with late development in this game - like from 26-30? I know the loading tips say players at some positions have their "prime" at around 30, but the assistant manager always says they've "reached their full potential" if they're not kids.

I'm in League One and I picked up this free transfer 26-year-old regen fullback who's just been sitting in AC Milan's reserves for five years. They spent a lot of money on him when he was young and his "value" is way out of whack with the rest of my team even though he's nothing special. I'm guessing he's a high PA player and I'm also guessing I'll get nothing out of that.

The loading tips are generally bad, wrong and out of date.

But yes. Players can peak late. Every player is assigned a maximum Potential value on creation, and this number does not change expect in weird, exceptional and rare circumstances. A players Current Ability rises based on experience and training.

As a player ages improving the CA value becomes slower and harder, but the potential is still there and can be realised with perseverance and luck. This year the typical player "peak" was lowered to early/mid twenties in response to "real life analysis". But the length of time before a player starts to decline is now longer.

Coach reports take the age factor into consideration and will often say a player's race is run even if it's not. Ignore all ai advice always.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

You know you're on to a sweet tactic when your under 21 beats you in the first friendly of the season :downs:

It actually really fucks me off when that happens as they're supposed to mirror your tactics so how the gently caress do they win when they have a bunch of retards playing for them.

Anyway, finally starting my first proper game in FM16 with Freiburg. They've got a really talented team for a division two side so I should theoretically be promoted. The only thing stopping me is the fact I haven't played FM16 and don't know how the match engine works this time around and RB Leipzig.

Any tips tactics wise?

You accidentally made an underdog tactic.

If I don't struggle a bit in pre-season I worry. Tactics that batter the semi-pro sides you play to raise morale aren't going to be succeed against good teams in competitive fixtures.

If you're a favourite to win the league you may want to change things, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

What the gently caress. I've made four completely different tactics, all of which are based on poo poo that's worked over the years for me, and I've lost every time to my loving reserve team. I haven't even scored a goal against them!

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Is control suddenly the shittiest thing ever?

Depends. What do you imagine Control actually does?

It's one of the most misleading labels in the game ftw.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

I usually play a slow tempo and try hold onto possession but for some reason my team seems absolutely incapable of that no matter what I do.

If you're using control then that's the problem.

Control is a fast-paced, risk-taking mentality (the team tries to control the game by being aggressive and forcing the other team back until you get countered and concede over and over). Slightly less-so than Attacking, but with longer passing out of defence for some reason. It's a garbage setting.

If you want patient possession play you should be using Counter or Defensive. Then add some short passing instructions for the defence if you're seeing too much hoofing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Counters have been juiced up this year. The game punishes forward runs and exciting football just like real life.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah, checking the stats I do concede most of my goals in the first 15 min, and then score most of them late in the first half to equalise. It's ridiculous, maybe it'll sort itself out eventually? I'll try making a defensive tactic to start halves with though.

Anyone got any good defensive set piece setups? I feel like I could be a lot stronger there too.

Football Manager appreciates counter-intuitive thinking, so I leave two men forward on the halfway line and one lurking outside the box.

This makes the opposition leave more players back to defend. Less players crowding your box.

I always put men on the posts. Two man markers, the rest zonal leaving a hole in the middle for the keeper to attack.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

Twelve games now without beating my reserves. This is ridiculous.

post your tictac screen

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

THE PWNER posted:

They're on the far end away from the camera.

I only notice them sometimes, so I think they aren't always there.

Different grounds are set up in different ways. Sometimes the dugouts are in the corners or below the cameras.

They were pushing to get accurate data for all football league grounds for this years game but quietly sidelined the feature once the researchers had done all the work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

Also, if you have any other insights like the one about Aggression and Work rate, please feel free to keep posting them. That blew my mind.

Kicking refers to the maximum length of a goalkeeper's kicks. Passing determines their accuracy.

but Throwing refers to the accuracy of a goalkeeper's throws. Strength determines their maximum length.

Flair doesn't directly relate to skill moves. It's a measure of how direct/expansive/forward-thinking a player will be on the ball. High flair players need to have exceptional vision & passing, dribbling & speed, or technique (which determines what skill moves can be performed) or they will give the ball away a lot, because they won't be able to succeed at what they are trying to do.

If you want patient possession play, avoid players with very high or very low flair. Too high and they won't be patient enough, too low and they won't be brave enough to exploit an opening when you find one. But an average player with low flair is better for the team than one with high flair.

Communication is the most important goalkeeping attribute. Short or weak keepers with high Command of Area are a liability.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Signings are made based on reputation (which is influenced by form), players are used based on ability (as perceived by coaches).

Gotze's probably on really high wages so if he doesn't do well at Bayern (or picks up a bad injury) none of the teams that can afford him will be interested in making an offer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Walton Simons posted:

These insights into the stats are really helpful, it's amazing that there aren't short explanations in the game. A paragraph for every tactical tweak possible is great, but surely knowing what the numbers that make up your players do is even more important.

If they were to explain exactly what each attribute really does in the match engine it would be exposed as a complete mess that isn't fit for purpose.

The attribute system should be torn down and started fresh but the database is so large that I can't see that ever happening. At best they will rename them here and there and hope that fixes more problems than it solves. See: Creativity becoming Vision but only vision for available passes all other "vision" (like another player coming to tackle) is based on Anticipation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Sassy how important are Positioning and Composure for a fullback really since they can seem to excel without it when I look around at certain players. I feel like I've been overvaluing it far too long.

In fact what do those stats even do?

Composure is a counterpart to (hidden) Pressure (and there's no small amount of confusing overlap between the two and Determination). It controls whether a player will respond well in high-pressure match situations, or blaze that one-on-one opportunity over the bar and slice a clearance to the opposition instead of playing tidily out from the back. It's a measure of their calmness/clear-headedness in a standard match situation.

Its importance for full-backs depends on what you need them to do. It's an important attribute imo, but they probably need it less than other positions.

Positioning is both the player knowing where to stand and the actual act of going to standing there. The former is also covered by Decisions (so much so that it is the only attribute affected by playing a player out of position. There is no Positioning penalty to playing a striker at centreback).

It's the only important stat for tracking back aside from general "can he be bothered" attributes like Concentration. But full-backs get good ratings for attacking play no matter how many goals the team concedes because of them, so who cares?

sassassin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 20, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't even load the mls.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You'd still get the odd one at academies with American links but you want the mls loaded for volume and to have those clubs academy ratings generating decent prospects.

Mls youth training ratings are too high, so their 15 year old are far further along in ca than they should be. American researchers think their summer camps are more efficient than European clubs sorting through thousands of ten year old a year and pulling them out of school.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Finishing obviously doesn't matter when your player is a fast, composed giant.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That preferred move doesn't really do anything unless you're playing him at full-back or defensive midfield. The vast majority of wide roles and duties pile into the box when the ball enters the final third. Either way it's just doing something you could instruct him to do anyway.

Preferred moves don't make a player any better or worse at doing things. They just override instructions.

High intelligence players with no preferred moves are the ideal, as they'll make the best choices with no bias, and follow orders. Failing that, low intelligence players with preferred moves that support their strengths.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I love Dictates Tempo and Switches Ball To Other Flank, how would you instruct that.

Dictates Tempo is basically high creative freedom. It doesn't do much for the playmaker roles.

Switches Ball is long passing range and low mentality (so low directness) in a team with wide options available for the switch.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're not using wingers you still need width, both in attack and to support your full-backs when defending.

A flat 3 in midfield with aggressive closing down instructions for the outer midfielders can work. As can a formation with a half-back, which allows the centrebacks to split and close down out wide.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sky Shadowing posted:

Anyone have a really good Lower League tactic to recommend? I've tried a few that seem promising, but they all seem to require False 9s or Complete Forwards, and my scouts can't even find a player who can play those positions (other than a handful of Premier League guys), let alone a good one. One tactic got me promoted out of the NL North, but it's not doing so hot in NL Premier.

You don't need special kinds of players to use those roles. They're just sets of instructions.

Ignore every star rating you see. If you can't ignore them, assume they are deliberately trying to mislead you instead.

Peter Crouch played as a FM-style false 9 at Stoke.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The boffins at Sports Interactive created the False 9 role for the game and decided it was Leo Messi. So for its "important attributes" they listed what Messi is good at.

Star ratings for role suitability are based on how good any player is at these specific, arbitrarily-decided attributes.

In reality lots of different kinds of players can contribute well to a team when told to drop off the front line, move with the ball when not under pressure, and play through balls when available.

Picking a role based on what your player can do is working backwards. It's far more important that the role works for the team than the player works for the role.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Fullbacks are trash at defending right now no matter what you do, the trick is having attacking ones and setting them to attack duties and then having them average 8.00 ratings over the course of a season, due to them being the ones best suited to exploiting the defensive frailty of opposition fullbacks.

It's like mutually assured destruction.

I prefer seeing my full-backs get a 6.something and actually winning the game.

Only two numbers actually matter, and they're up on the scoreboard.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah I've used the halfback role since it was introduced for precisely that reason. Most underrated position imo.

So here is what I'm thinking for my tactic. This shape was the business in fm15 and fm14 for me so hopefully it can somewhat work on 16.

GK (def)
CB (def) CB (def)
WB (at) HB (def) WB (at)
DLP (sup) APM (at)
AM (sup)
AF (at) TM (su)

* I'm only going on what people say about wingbacks in this version- normally I'd set them to support.
* Cagliari have two great playmakers. One is a natural DM and the other can play DM and CM. Seeing as neither are great defensively I figure it's best to play them as central midfielders.
* Not sure how to use my attacking midfielder but will alter based on what I see.
* The two attackers are causing me the biggest problems. I can't seem to score regularly, especially with Sau who looks great on paper. Not sure on the best combinations.
* Tactics wise I've gone with control and fluid as I should be technically better than most of the teams in the division and have a lot of players centrally to dominate possession.

Any obvious flaws here? Tips?

- Move your wingbacks back into the defensive line. No need for them to defend so high. They'll attack in the same way.
- 'Control' is for direct clogger teams. If you want to dominate possession play Defensive or Counter which are more patient approaches.
- Big space between the back and front halves of your team. Luckily the Target Man will attract long balls.
- No one is overlapping the Target Man from midfield. His only support is way ahead of him.
- AP-A and AM-S will stand in the same place waiting for the ball.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

When's the patch gonna be, gonna be interesting to see what happens to Leicester.

Transfer window's only just closed. Give it a week or two.

Leicester will be better than Southampton, worse than Liverpool.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

St Evan Echoes posted:

Can't wait for the Feb patch to do its usual overreacting so we get Dmitri Payet, Literal World's Best Player

I'd worry more about those kids United have given a couple of appearances to becoming guaranteed future world-beaters. Researchers are given a lot more leeway with Potential Ability of youth than Current Ability of developed players.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's possible that you simply don't need a player in that hole when you have two strikers, one of whom drops off the front, and an advancing playmaker.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

Where would you use the extra player? He's not that great anyway so it wouldn't be much of a loss but Cagliari aren't exactly choc full of quality players.

IF-s on the right wing between dlp and af-a. Narrow & roaming. Play the same player from the middle there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm actually insanely loving sick of 90% of goals being from poo poo crosses because the match engine is broken, leading to me having to find ways to plug holes in my team through analysing the ME and not through any sort of footballing logic

when's the next patch come out?

This month.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's an option to automatically decline offers under an amount.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Another season, another transfer window spent fending off constant Spurs bids for Xherdan Shaqiri. The amount never changes, either, always £18m rising to £23m with add-ons, and they bid two or three times a week every transfer window. I've got him set to Reject All Offers but you've got to admire their determination.

At least we're now a big enough club that he hadn't complained this year. He used to throw a tantrum every August, calm down and sign a contract extension in September, then kick off again in January.

Accept it them cancel the deal after they've negotiated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cleon loves a good meltdown the whiny twat.