Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just created a new game and some obscure youth players from Brazil have attributes in ranges rather than single values. Did I accidentally turn on attribute masking? Or is it because I set player knowledge too low?

e: Or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should better simulate a horrific injury or heart attack casting a pall over the entire game. Morale plummets, medics take forever to deal with the issue, etc.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Recently I've been trying to loan transfer-listed players from big clubs. Many mandate that the agreement must have an optional future fee. But some of my loans are falling through mysteriously -- is it because my transfer budget must be at least the amount of the optional future fee? (e.g., a loan with an optional future fee of £60m wouldn't work if my current transfer budget was £10m). I've never dealt with this problem before (and it certainly seems like an illogical implementation), so just wanna be sure that I have it down right.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What FM21 does poorly is modelling defensive tactics. You can put 10 men behind the ball and it often plays out the same as not doing it at all. I couldn't get any players to run the ball to a corner flag and just stay there. I couldn't get my defenders to keep passing the ball among themselves.

By contrast, I've been using a tactic where my team plays on no time-wasting, ultra-short passing and Very Attacking mentality. The team seemed to defend better than if I had set it to Defensive/Cautious. It was certainly very successful at scoring goals. YMMV of course.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Training is one of the most boring parts of the game. I’d love a version that’s just transfer market and match simulator.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think you should like, skip the games even in a low touch playthrough. You should at least control the subs. Give yourself an opportunity to feel like a hero when your sub scores.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Most interpretations of attributes are entirely baseless and unscientific. No one really knows how each attribute interacts with others and how the result varies in any given situation. You ought to play this just doing what feels right, just like how football management probably works IRL.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been playing the Touch edition of this game, which comes with Apple Arcade. It’s basically the full game except with less player interaction. I delegate all of the training and team talks. It’s probably my preferrred way to enjoy this game. I blazed through three seasons in two weeks sitting on my couch. It’s harder to do things like scouting because the UI kinda sucks but the trade offs for the convenience are well worth it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Azhais posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX959X9w_1Q

So Zealand just posted a big ol video on player development. While some of the findings pretty much follow conventional wisdom there are a few oddities. Like tossing a player in at 70 minutes to "get them some game time" is actively harmful to development; if you're not going to play them at least half the game it's better to not even have them on the bench. And intra team friendlies are better for development, so if you don't need money from playing big teams in preseason it's best to just schedule a ton of matches against your u18/u20 teams.

The weirdest one was loans. You'll get the best development returns loaning to inactive leagues. Inactive>view only>playable.
It’s always been apparent to me that FM’s inscrutable game engine follows a very esoteric understanding of football. You might have a real solid player and you offer them out for 0% wage coverage and no one will offer a dime. It’s mickey mouse poo poo.

I wish there was some real competition in this segment of the market.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Be a brother and blow it all on terrible League 2 players and help their teams flourish.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The dev update is here btw: https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

Seems like the big thing, for now anyway, is better graphics. It’ll be nice to get better newgen faces but I think there’s a poo poo ton of other stuff they should be prioritizing. The core of the game is transfers and tactics. Make those things more
dynamic, more lifelike and the game is already better. Right now negotiating a transfer is the most boring, scientific thing ever.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I subscribe to Apple Arcade to play FM on my phone. I assume they’re seeing very high retention there and that has them thinking they could just cut out the middleman and do the exact same thing on other platforms.

To be honest I’d love if they went one step further and made this one of those cloud games. This is exactly the kind of game that benefits from having a superpowerful cloud computer do all the work. Then everyone can load a bazillion leagues and they could maybe do far more complicated backend stuff that they presumably can’t do now because the game already runs like crap. That’d be worth subscribing to.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I getchu, FM23 touch via apple arcade was the most I’ve played FM in years. Bumming on the couch and sitting on the toilet. The best way to play this interactive spreadsheet.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just play as Man City and treat it as fantasy football and buy all the biggest players in the world. It’s the best way to learn the game

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just saw that a Netflix subscription will entitle you to a mobile version of the game when it comes out. Pretty psyched about that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If anyone’s shopping for the mobile versions: The Netflix one is a real POS with awful UI and I didn’t bother with it for more than a few seconds. The Apple Arcade version is pretty full featured and you can play it on everything from iphone to ipad to mac. Looks great on my ipad. I imagine it’d run like butter on a modern mac.

That said the whole thing seems more or less identical to FM 2023 so far. Has classic dumb poo poo like not allowing you to use a non-preset value for installments above 50m.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tried the new FM Touch on my iPhone. They’ve really not optimized the UI enough for cell phone screens. I dumped the idea quickly and went back to my iPad. Lying on my couch with the iPad has been my best experience with FM so far.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m seeing the weirdest thing in my latest game. An Asier Beitia, who has a newgen portrait, apparently manifested into existence in 2024/2025 at Spanish team Eibar, joined a Saudi team next season, and two seasons later is 27 years old.

Are they generating 24 year olds now? What the heck.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In my game I was invited at the start of the season for my team to be filmed for a documentary. I said ok, then at the end of the season it just said that the documentary was a success. That’s it.

I have no idea what the impact was and there was no indication during the season that there documentary was ongoing.

It’s the laziest possible implementation of something topical. I wish they wouldn’t do this patronizing poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pipski posted:

Any sign you got any money for it - like, increased TV revenues for the season - or a club reputation boost at least? That seems like it would be easy enough to implement. Seems pointless otherwise, like you say. (Which club was this at, out of interest?) I'd imagine your players 'media handling' attribute would determine how successful it was, but who tf knows.
It was at Arsenal. It had no impact on club reputation or TV revenues or club supporter profile as far as I could tell.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

One thing I kinda think needs to happen is that they should scrape CA and familiarity with tactical roles. They should move towards a more straightforward reliance on attributes.

Imagine a player who has like 17 for finishing, composite, off the ball, acceleration and pace. The game makes it possible that:

1. Their CA is low so they’ll just arbitrarily perform like poo poo, never get described as world-class, be undervalued by the AI in the transfer market and deteriorate much more quickly when out of form.

2. They have high familiarity with the false nine role but low familiarity with the advanced forward role, so they’ll need to spend a lot of time retraining and underperforming in the meantime.

In the real world, top players are constantly being retrained for new positions based on their attributes these days. Kyle Walker got converted into a centerback, Julian Alvarez learned to be a midfielder and Bellingham became a forward. The world doesn’t model that flexibility enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I used to always ask for the minimum possible salary because it means more money for other parts of the club