Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Adrianics posted:

Thanks for that - I'm starting to get the impression that the assistant feedback is more harm than good in most situations. I appreciated you mentioning that they'll start suggesting long balls if pass completion is high, that's something that never occurred to me and yet another example of how infuriatingly counter-intuitive FM can be.

Your assistant is basically going to tell you to do the opposite of whatever your chosen tactic is. Want a high line? Your assistant will tell you there's too much space behind your defence every time. Want to play defensively with a deep line? Your assistant will tell you there's a gap between your defence and midfield. Short passing game? Your assistant will encourage long passing since your pass completion is high. Want long passing? Your assistant will recommend you substitute your deep lying playmaker because he's misplacing some long through balls.

Ignore your assistant's advice unless it's related to pre-match complacency or player morale imo, since those are things you can't tell by looking at the match engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Masonity posted:

Also is this guy a random stat lottery win or someone that we should all be buying? He was free just after the second winter break (Feb 2017 I believe) from a Brazilian club and is now (two months after that screen shot) in the running for world player of the year. He's single handedly restored my faith in the box to box midfielder. He's just such an all rounder he has no glaring weaknesses. He's a bit short but that's it. Meanwhile he has amazing ball winning stats and backs it up with both stamina and good enough offensive stats to make chances / always be dangerous.

With 20 determination he looks like the kind of youth player that gets given monster hidden mental stats by club researchers who want to have wonderkids when they play their own team, and therefore develops into a superstar after a few years.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

Twelve games now without beating my reserves. This is ridiculous.

Now play it again without changing your tactics but swap your reserve and first team players and see what happens.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

That preferred move doesn't really do anything unless you're playing him at full-back or defensive midfield. The vast majority of wide roles and duties pile into the box when the ball enters the final third. Either way it's just doing something you could instruct him to do anyway.

Preferred moves don't make a player any better or worse at doing things. They just override instructions.

High intelligence players with no preferred moves are the ideal, as they'll make the best choices with no bias, and follow orders. Failing that, low intelligence players with preferred moves that support their strengths.

Yeah except Places Shots on a striker is godly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm actually insanely loving sick of 90% of goals being from poo poo crosses because the match engine is broken, leading to me having to find ways to plug holes in my team through analysing the ME and not through any sort of footballing logic

when's the next patch come out?

Don't worry I'm sure they'll fix the problem by making it literally impossible to score from crosses.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm going to keep loving this patch as long as Will Griggmania keeps running wild

I don't even know. Maybe 'places shots' is just that good

edit: I mean look at this guy

I almost sold him for 0 this past offseason after he tore his achilles and we were promoted, and bam he scores a brace in his first premier league start

Places Shots is just that good, especially on any striker with decent finishing and composure and the other stats necessary to get in shooting positions reliably.

Basically your players are all idiots and will pick the worst shot possible 90% of the time. Places Shots forces them to choose a shot that's reliable (even if it's not necessarily the best shot in every single circumstance) so their shots actually go on target instead of getting blasted over the bar.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'd always thought that places shots was far more preferable to shoots with power, but in my latest save Enner Valencia came back from injury, couldn't score in like 6 games from an IF position, and then injuries dictated he got a game up front. Proceeds to hit 22 in 24 with shoots with power and shoots from distance as PPMs, just loving smacking them past the keeper from everywhere

Yeah I've had the occasional player over the versions who did really well with Shoots With Power (Hulk used to be an absolute beast for this) or other Bad Moves like Shoots From Distance, but for the majority of players with those moves it makes them way less effective. On the other hand I've never seen a player get worse from having Places Shots.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As long as the Leicester researcher has free rein to make players like Mahrez, Vardy, and Kante among the best in the league I'm actually reasonably okay with them not being given as much strength in depth. Fact is they didn't win the title through the depth of their squad, they won it by having a really good core of players that play phenomenally together, and then luck with injuries and a non-crowded fixture list meant they could play the same team featuring those players week-in, week-out. Players like Okazaki and Ulloa and Albrighton played their parts but it wasn't them who won the title and I'm fine with them not getting put among the best players in the league just because Leicester won the title.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

He doesn't. Coutinho will be better than all of them because he's probably the best player Liverpool fans can think of.

Well in that case this is complete bullshit. Coutinho's a good player and I like him but there's no chance he should be better than Mahrez in FM Land.

I hope the Leicester researcher games the system the way the researchers used to by maxing out the important stats and giving all 1s in the unimportant ones so that Vardy still hits 20 a season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you're not still playing a five-year-old FM11 save that's twenty seasons in you're scrub-tier imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It looks like you're trying to play creative technical possession football in the Championship with poo poo players, which is probably your problem. You can't find good players for Complete Forward and Trequartista because the players you can get in the Championship are not good enough to play those roles. You would probably do better trying to make your tactics less elaborate, give less creative freedom to your players, and make a more rigidly defined game plan that your limited-in-ability players can handle better. Save the Barcelona poo poo for when you get to the Champions League and are signing Messi regens.

That's my first impression anyway, not knowing anything about the squad you've built.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

So what do I do when I can get ridiculous amounts of possession but relatively few shots on target - more direct passing? Increase tempo?

Rename your manager Pep Guardiola and murder football.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Might be a daft question but is there an easy way to see players whose contracts are expiring that I can sign on a free?

Player search, add filters, filter by contract, expiring within 6 months (1 month for certain countries for domestic transfers).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can't wait until an essential part of the FM experience is hiring unpaid intern social media experts to run your club's Snapchat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is why new FMs suck.

Like in my first game of FM15, I was rotating my centre backs right from the start and like one month into the season two of them came to me simultaneously complaining about not getting game time despite starting both of my Champions League games, because I had been resting them on the weekend to save energy for the more important games in midweek. There was no option to tell them "You're literally my first choice centre back and have been starting in the Champions League you moron" and they both got super unhappy and unsettled from the conversation. Turned out that the game didn't count anything other than the league when calculating playing time for players to get unhappy. The more complicated they make this game, the more they manage to gently caress it up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

Probably still trying to work out how to implement the new one person kick offs.

They probably spent the last 11 months figuring out how to put refs behind the goals and integrate the game with Snapchat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just had a player score 47 league goals (and 9 assists) in 37 appearances with an average rating of 8.13, yet somehow not win Player of the Year which went to a different one of my players who averaged 7.71 with 10 goals and 21 assists. The new league record goalscorer (old record was 38) didn't even make the top 3. Second highest goalscorer in the league had 32.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Was the player of the year a fullback?

A winger.

I should clarify that this is not FM16 but an old version that I like better. Still weird though. They even touted the top goalscorer as the frontrunner for the award every time he was mentioned in a news item for the last few months of the season, then when it was time to actually pick the player he was nowhere to be found.

Maybe it's a Suarez situation since this player is an irredeemable fuckwit who gets sent off for diving twice in the same game sometimes but also just happens to be the best player in the world. For fun I looked at his hidden stats once. Sportingness attribute? 1.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

I'm still playing 16 and at what point is it too late to get someone for a national team with dual nationality? I'm managing Scotland and Aberdeen and there's a great CB that came through the youth intake at Aberdeen who is Argentine-Scottish, 5 star potential for an Aberdeen team with world class players in it. He's currently playing for the Argentina U20s, no Senior National caps, and he's 17 years old. He's better than Scotland's current CBs, even at 17, and I hope he's not irrevocably lost to Argentina.

They're only gone for good once they get a senior cap, so if you're the Scotland manager try calling him up in your next squad and see if he's willing. If he is, play him for a game, even if you sub him on in the 99th minute, and he's Scottish forever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'll happily admit to savescumming before any personal interactions with players because the options are so vague and the outcomes seem to be completely random anyway, I'm not going to have a player hate me and try to force his way out cos I told him his hattrick in the last game was impressive

*player scores 5 goals and gets a 9.9 rating*

"You really impressed me in the last match, keep it up!"
"Frankly I'm insulted that you were impressed by my performance last match. I know I can do much better. I don't think I can work with you any more after the way you've treated me."

*player submits transfer request, squad morale tanks because they don't like the way you treated him*

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Yup, I know very little of what I'm actually doing. My tactics are incredibly simple and designed by someone who doesn't know anything about football theory (me), and I'm pretty sure I won that first season in the VNN by virtue of team cohesion and playing very basic football alone. I don't imagine that strategy is going to work out for me much longer, but I also know absolutely dick about designing tactics that are anything but bare-basics.

At that low level where all your players suck you want to keep your tactics incredibly simple anyway. Drilling your team to do a basic tactic well will do way, way better basically anywhere below the Championship or Premier League, rather than trying to be Barcelona with a bunch of Sunday League cloggers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Do you mean simple like lots of specific instructions to play one uncomplicated way, or simple as in don't click too many buttons and have your idiot players making up their own retarded minds?

Anything that takes decision-making out of the heads of your dumb Sunday League players with Decisions 4 is good. So the former I imagine.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Aw man he retired a before the season started and all he did was take wages for a month. Stupid Buffon.

He got a look at what life in Aberdeen would be like and decided retirement would be better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Ok, so I'm dumb as hell and let my desire to be good at manager games team up with my cheapness and convince me to buy FM17 back in the summer sale. My problem is that I don't know a goddamn thing about soccer/football. Like at all. My knowledge ends at ' the ball goes into the net'. Is there somewhere that can explain how the actual sport works in a way that isn't going to be full of incomprehensible jargon ala wikipedia? Bonus points if you also link something that explains the game as well.

I wrote a long post during the 2014 World Cup about football positions and formations to try to explain to new posters some of the terminology we were using to discuss the World Cup, it might not be what you're looking for but here you go anyway:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639574&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post431344053

Bear in mind that everything I wrote was about actual football and FM works differently sometimes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I tried a 2-3-5 as Real Madrid once just for fun in like FM10 or something. It worked for the few games I bothered playing but only because the players were so good. It was hilariously weak to wingers and crosses into the box.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

I'm savescumming anyway so I figure I might as well have fun and gently caress around with it. I take random players from small leagues and pump up their key attributes and see what happens.

I remember some FM person did an experiment like this once to see how a bunch of min-maxed players' careers would go after sticking them in some created club in like the sixth-tier and they found that despite its crop of amazing youngsters the club itself never really performed that well because all the players got signed to random other ones after like one season, except for the players who he had given 20 loyalty, who stayed at that club for their entire careers despite it being in like the fourth tier of English football the whole time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is 17 actually any good? I feel like a lot of people have been really down on FM lately for never fixing its huge problems or improving at all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Humbaba posted:

The match engine is significantly better than 16.

Well, that's $10 down the drain then

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If I'm remembering right, someone told us once that the quality of a physio literally only determines one thing, and that's how accurate your estimate of injury lengths will be. They have no effect on how likely it is players will get injured, how bad their injuries will be, or how fast they recover.

I don't know if this is still true, or even if it ever was, but it's just so perfectly FM that I 100% believe it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Adrianics posted:

This is new: My new club captain consistently refuses to talk to unhappy teammates, saying every single time that he thinks it's something I should be doing.

Never seen it before, in any game. It's pretty cool I suppose.

A perfect recreation of the SI forums experience

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

A 17 year old with slipped discs might raise some flags

It's from supporting the weight of that enormous loving head

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

omg this is even better than having your 2 scouts be Barry and Alex Hunter and only signing players called Barry and Alex

I tried to make a squad of Kaka, Kara, Keko, Coke, Koke et al but I could never quite make a starting XI let alone find a full squad, even stretching it to include Baba and Zaza

I haven't played a recent version in ages but there at least used to be a ton of Brazilians with the name "Everton" so one time I seriously considered playing a game as Everton and trying to field a team with a starting XI all named Everton.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eleven extra elephants posted:

I've seen a screenshot where United got relegated in the second season, if it's legit i'm curious what went so wrong with the AI manager.

I'm curious to try one of those databases where they start like 200 years in the future, anybody tried one?

Wenger is still managing Arsenal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Does anyone here play any of the old FMs?

Peak FM for me (and the best) was FM 2014. Everything since I've kind of just fizzled out at the 20 to 50 hr mark or so... meanwhile I've got over 700 hours in FM 2014.

I still play FM11

Every now and then I buy a new one on a big sale and try to get into it but the newer interfaces seem super overcomplicated to me, like they added way too many layers in between "make tactics, sign players, play games". I'm sure it would be fine if I had been buying each version and switching every year because the changes would be iterative but doing like seven versions' worth of changes at once feels like a completely different game so I return to my comfort zone and like 20-season FM11 game where I know how everything works and everyone is a regen now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Whoops. It wasn't FM2014. It's FM2013 with 788 hours played.

the four FMs I own are apparently:

FM11, 1,254 hours played
FM13, 74 hours played
FM15, 12 hours played
FM17, 81 minutes played

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

i have four figures on at least FM11-15 but i do tend to leave it running for days at a time

Yeah a lot of those FM11 hours for me are having it running in the background while doing other stuff, the processing times aren't exactly lightning fast and it's easy to go on the internet or read articles or whatever while it chugs along from day to day, especially once you're ten seasons in and there aren't very many surprises anymore.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There was one year on PES, 07 maybe, when Alan Smith was a worldbeater. That was a weird year.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
FM08 I think I turned Kerlon into a worldie one time. You know, the guy who was literally famous for about five seconds thanks to a youtube video where he does the "seal dribble" and then gets kicked in the face nine times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
One of the best moments in any FM game is when you become a big enough deal as manager that every time a player comes to you wanting something you tell them "gently caress you you little poo poo we've won the league ten times in a row and I'm in charge here so you do what I want" and they meekly return to being happy with their tiny wage or lack of transfer or whatever.