Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Short games are best, not surprised people take a bad team to the CL or whatever if they have every high PA kid in the game, probably harder and less tedious to do it first season with Arsenal ffs.

Do you long game mans play comprehensive and actually micro through matches (how God meant this to be played)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I sold Lallana to Arsenal on day 1 for £29m including addons(!), Lovren to Monaco for £18m, and went shopping. After a dodgy start where my last FM15 tactic just horribly failed and needed a lot of tweaking, the front 3 of Morata, Sturridge, and Berardi, as IF-A, CF-A, and IF-A, is now basically winning me the league on autopilot, they're scoring preposterous goals in my super fluid and expressive/roamy tactic with Couts and Hendo just practising their killer balls and tempo dictation in every match. Combined with the new ME animations it's some of the most beautiful football I've ever watched in FM.

Think I'll go West Ham or Crystal Palace next, get them into europe.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 3, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

Liverpool are again madly overrated because their researcher is in charge of the PL as a whole and can do what he wants.

Well they're kinda crap at first, then as the season goes along players like Coutinho start getting "World Class" descriptions from your coaches etc, the kids are overrated probably, but then potential is always such a sure thing in FM. Check out Gomez haha he kinda proves your point, I mean this is one of the fringe kids:

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 4, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The draft mode is proper laggy especially during the draft pick screen which is kind of an important part of it, and it crashes 50% of time me or my mate change our tactic, even slightly. Patch soon pls.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Engine, should be better since last night. Wtf is a 4.5 technical stars coach... workload?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Humbaba posted:

Should have said technique. He's coaching shooting.

Are you talking about on the screen where you tell the coaches their individual coaching jobs? That's workload and can be decieving. A guy with literally 1 in Technique coaching can somehow end up with 4 stars.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Hmm a few days ago there was a post on the Match Engine Issues forums about the offside thing but it's gone now. Dunno if that means they fixed it last night or they dismissed the claims.

It's not PPMs btw, basically every attacking player is doing it right down to FB-A.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's fixed now. Dodgy backpasses are still in.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That one's definitely your tactics mate.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The ME last night was reverted to early FM15 in many ways, if this is basically just final FM16 until January now then I feel kinda cheated really, I'm pretty shocked. After 2 weeks of having something fresh and diferent, after the patch I literally had to plug in one of my old retarded FM15 super direct tactics to then watch a match play out like it did in early FM15, they've upgraded direct passing, and nerfed defenders ability to track runs. Full backs are fully retarded again and backpost crosses are deadly, how many times must we go through that. All feels a bit deja vu.

e: Apparently there will in fact be more ME patches, guess they weren't happy with this "Release Candidate" either. I've never logged onto a game to see it regress in such a way before.

ee: They've posted about wanting little teams to scare the big teams and that's fine but it doesn't mean Sunderland should be doing 10+ high quality fergie counterattacks every game. It should still be possible for a team to just get herded into their own box and euthanised like in real life Miles.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Really good post here where a guy posted lots of screens about fulbacks and their defensive shape, and the mods actually admitted it's an issue that needs looking at, that's pretty rare on those forums.

http://community.sigames.com/showth...Defensive-Shape

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 12, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That's what I mean I say it's deja vu. It's literally those old problems popping up again in full force, which peaked in FM14 at the start, IIRC? I've even gone back to relying on Wingbacks to defend better than Fullbacks do, that rings some bells.

It's being obfuscated by the fact that their ratings are still too high. Also the biggest problems it causes is in exposing your CBs and letting them take the blame basically.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 12, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

In case people think I'm just being a bitch about suddenly losing or something, I realised what was up in the first match of the new save I made for the patch, and set Origi up at LW to waltz past these retarded defenses and do whatever he wants, since it's all so, so familiar, check out his PL stats he's the best player in the league right now. Of course Sturridge and Bentekkers scored about 2 goals between them in those 9 matches, since the fullbacks are so fascinated with them, but got about 8 assists combined passing to the wing. My problem is how much more fun watching matches was just a few days ago. :smith:

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 12, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

I tried this over the weekend and they still haven't fixed players chasing after the ball when it's rolling towards a teammate. Seemed to be a bit less waiting to be tackled and falling over, though.

Still not buying it.

Honestly it's like a day before release they jacked up the "human error" element of anything to do with closing down the ball or which man a player thinks he should mark.

To test this set your guys to minimum closing down settings and watch them on full match for a few minutes, you will see them do bizarre close downs they have no business doing and you know you didn't tell them to do, they just don't want to retain a logical shape or let the better positioned guy do it instead.

That's the biggest thing, even when 2 players should have it covered in tactical terms, and the third player should cover something else. They just go for the ball!

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 17, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MarsMattel posted:

I was having quite a lot of fun with the beta, since the release candidate its been poo poo. Fed up losing the same goals over and over. Now I remember why I always used to wait until after January to play it.

Yeah it was beautiful to watch for 2 weeks wasn't it, what a bizarre loving beta test, absolutely pointless since we only got to test this bizarre release candidate for like 1 day of "It's your tactics mate" and the new "the game is more statistically accurate now".

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Well. The game was made "more statistically accurate" in that patch. (Jozy xG DZSiBoT) You may struggle to unsee it now, pay attention to your fullbacks heh, there's a lot more bizarre cases than this.

Some people are saying 3 at the back results in far more logical defense AI at the moment but I haven't bothered testing that.

e: If you just instant result and that kinda playstyle, honestly this is a huge upgrade over 15 don't let me ruin it for you. The problem comes when you're tracking your and the opponents shape while actually watching matches. It's also something they had right in a previous iteration.

After all it happens to your opponents too. Meh. I'm done for now anyway. Hopefully it's sorted by Christmas.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 20, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's funny that this:

quote:

Improved defending of full backs who were tucking in inappropriately
Improved behaviour of backline when deciding to cover out of position players

Wasn't a problem for the 2 weeks of beta, it was a problem the day before the actual game released when we got the "real" version piped into our buttholes while they told us it was our tactics. What a bizarre testing process. Oh well I can play again now.

Next time when the playerbase says the beta is great maybe they shouldn't drastically change it and then release that suddenly, I feel like that wasn't a beta at all, just a pre-order incentive. They really struggle in taking feedback.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Adrianics posted:

I'm starting to feel like I'm finally getting the hang of the match engine, and how to utilise stats and assistant feedback to get back into games. I'm still complete dogshit at away matches but am getting there slowly. Guide to Football Manager has been pretty invaluable in helping me understand how the match engine works, in particular.

What do I do when my assistant is complaining about the amount of space the opposition is getting in our penalty area? It usually happens when I'm attempting a counter-attacking formation and I don't want to put pressing on higher.

If you have a successful home tactic then just make a slightly deeper version with more direct passing and a higher tempo, and have more conservative roles, like S or D fullbacks instead of A and a DLP instead of a Regista. Tweak to taste and you got an away tactic.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Adrianics posted:

Very comforting that the one constant that's existed since I started playing way back with CM97/98 is back again: Being 2-0 up at half-time is absolutely the worst place to be. The opposition will come at you like a bat out of hell and will, will, get a goal back at some point between the 60th and 70th minute then equalise just before or just after the 80th. Feels completely inevitable and literally nothing I do stops it. Every single time.

I dunno it doesn't make it harder when you can do it yourself it's just gamey bullshit, switch tactic to a more offensive version while they are celebrating and wow you solved the football puzzle.

It's gotten a lot better lately but still needs the Jan patch.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 24, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

LLM sucks, it's easy and just a huge slog of exploiting FMs flaws.

But they should fix the overall reputation system which causes hundreds/thousands of various little issues. It needs to be split into multiple stats for one thing. Also needs to be far more fluid and volatile.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah the opposite too, I've actually had the board give me all my transfer budget as wage budget, and not let me convert it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I do like having an assistant with very high Ability and Potential judgement to ask about players, not their view of the general ability but because they will tell you about hidden things, injury proneness, consistency, etc.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

The Pl head researcher is a Liverpool fan so when they decide how good each team will be in the database Liverpool are always way better than their league position implies (which is the normal metric).

In January their "star players" will be as good as anyone in the league and their squad average only below the top 4. There's a huge drop to the next band of teams which now includes Leicester. Coutinho will be 10 ca points higher than Mahrez.

Good.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah some of the tracksuits are loving great but the faces are just horrible.

I looked at the FM Base tactics forum to see what people are doing these days and it seems they're having the most success with tactics that have no DM, not even a CM-D or anything like that. :confused:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You can subscribe to them for updates.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

Yes, I am sure. My information doesn't come from a third-party guesswork website.

Yeah these sites are poo poo. Also that explanation of Aggression looks like it's mixing it up with Bravery as well as Work Rate and then still getting it wrong.

sassassin posted:

Bale and Ronald have 12 Acceleration.

If you watch Ronnie lately it's probably quite fair, he's still really loving fast but he's not nearly as quick off the mark as he used to be.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 31, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Coventry is one of the hardest challenges in the game unless their situation has gotten sorted lately IRL? But I know as recently as 15 they were a preposterously hard start in terms of doing the poo poo team to CL winners thing.

You'll have to show the whole tactic really including TI screen so we can give you contradictory tips (there won't really be one answer). It sounds like you aren't getting enough people forward though, through mentality and Attack roles, and you don't have enough freedom in the right places to actually make a throughball or a cross and you're ending up with scrappy half chances. But it's hard to say.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You should probably mostly play a direct counter style anyway tbh. Possession is hard to get right at the best of times especially in 16 compared to 15.

You're Coventry in the Championship too, I bet it'll work better for you.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 31, 2015

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You can get away with more attack roles if you play fluid tactic and roles.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Not even your Fullbacks?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ewar Woowar posted:

Twelve games now without beating my reserves. This is ridiculous.

The biggest difference between 15 and 16 IMO is how much more forgiving 15 was in terms of playing really attacking tactics.

vyelkin posted:

Now play it again without changing your tactics but swap your reserve and first team players and see what happens.

This is interesting do this.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

If they were to explain exactly what each attribute really does in the match engine it would be exposed as a complete mess that isn't fit for purpose.

The attribute system should be torn down and started fresh but the database is so large that I can't see that ever happening. At best they will rename them here and there and hope that fixes more problems than it solves. See: Creativity becoming Vision but only vision for available passes all other "vision" (like another player coming to tackle) is based on Anticipation.

Sassy how important are Positioning and Composure for a fullback really since they can seem to excel without it when I look around at certain players. I feel like I've been overvaluing it far too long.

In fact what do those stats even do?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

That preferred move doesn't really do anything unless you're playing him at full-back or defensive midfield. The vast majority of wide roles and duties pile into the box when the ball enters the final third. Either way it's just doing something you could instruct him to do anyway.

Preferred moves don't make a player any better or worse at doing things. They just override instructions.

High intelligence players with no preferred moves are the ideal, as they'll make the best choices with no bias, and follow orders. Failing that, low intelligence players with preferred moves that support their strengths.

I love Dictates Tempo and Switches Ball To Other Flank, how would you instruct that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

THE PWNER posted:

ok maybe I can stop playing now... I hope.. please

my pretend fm story can end now right? old guy plays testimonial against our biggest rivals during his time at the club? surely? can I stop ? Please help me, someone , intervention

Well there's a patch in a few weeks tops that hopefully fixes the ME some more so, abandon hope, all is lost, you are going nowhere.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Sometimes hidden stats and stuff mean a player is just poo poo a lot of the time no matter how good he looks, then some kid with far worse stats but more bottle performs better.

See: Ozil who has insane playmaker stats but really isn't as reliable as worse players. At least I think it's his hiddens because loving hell, something is wrong with him in FM.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 2, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

code:
                            Timo Horn

Felix Passlack  Eder Alvarez Balanta  Emanuel Mammana  Nicola Murru

Lucas Romero

Kristoffer Ajer     Youri Tielemans

Gabriel Barbosa                   Leroy Sane

Breel Embolo

These are my favourite kids in the midrange though a few of them are available really cheap like £1m-6m and most can be loaned, all of them can walk into any squad and be useful while developing. Posting this because I was designing it as a draft team to dick my mate over later. :getin:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Fullbacks are trash at defending right now no matter what you do, the trick is having attacking ones and setting them to attack duties and then having them average 8.00 ratings over the course of a season, due to them being the ones best suited to exploiting the defensive frailty of opposition fullbacks.

It's like mutually assured destruction.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

I prefer seeing my full-backs get a 6.something and actually winning the game.

Only two numbers actually matter, and they're up on the scoreboard.

Those numbers do great when your CWB-s and CWB-a have an assist and 10 key passes each, also right now wingbacks defend quite well as long as they defend on the front foot.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't have proper wingers so my fullbacks are the ones exploiting the opposing fullbacks, and they top assists on all my teams atm.

When's the patch gonna be, gonna be interesting to see what happens to Leicester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ewar Woowar posted:

This was the first time my fullbacks/wing backs weren't complete gash so I night leave them there for the time being.

Ewar's right, fullbacks are completely conter-intuitive right now. A CWB-a will defend better than a FB-d and I'm not just talking about the rating number. Also -s roles are quite good too because of the diagonal balls they produce, which fullbacks just can't deal with atm.