Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah also Cleon is a great focal point for circle jerks and all but his strats are basically "keep it simple at first, watch the matches, then finetune based on what you see." there's little actual insight, although his wisdom about not having loads of TI/PI for no reason is definitely true.

It's true though that SI are arrogant dickheads, they were telling us a lot of snarky poo poo when we warned them about how hosed up fullbacks and crosses are in 16 for example. "It's your tactics mate" is not hyperbolic at all it's a real thing that hinders the development of the game.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cleon posted:

So what is Tifo!

Tifo is a social media platform – similar in style to Twitter and is aimed towards Football Manager fans

http://sisportscentre.com/the-tifo-project-explained/

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 19, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe we can finally find our FM waifus.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Oh yeah dunno why I brainfarted and put SI in the quote, it's Cleon. He seems insanely impressed that his web guy has made the site responsive for mobiles so I don't think he's even invested any money or anything into his new social media platform, it's probably his cousin or something.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

They have no idea what they're doing, people rarely give them real feedback anymore because that forum basically just breeds sycophants, at one point Cleon posted that the new ME is great and anyone who can't deal with it is simply not reactive enough to the match, the mods lauded his understanding of the ME. Don't be surprised if internally they think it's the best ME yet.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I was playing an Arsenal save where I bought Ricardo Rodriguez and put him opposite Bellerin in an asymmetric crossing based tactic, and they basically became the 2 best players in the world it's retarded.

I don't just mean the broken match ratings I mean they were just destroying any team I faced, felt like one of the older more breakable FMs.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 26, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A player with 9 in crossing can actually get s lot of assists right now so imagine when you have multiple 17+ crossing players.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's more to it a lot of other stats, also the tactic. Right now on my left I have a two footed IF-A and a CWB-S, and on the right a W-S and a CWB-A, and up front I have a 17 crossing AF-A constantly roaming to the wings(Berardi). I get an insane amount of good crosses of every type. Gonna wait for the patch I think, at this point I'm just playing the engine.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bellerin had the highest average rating in the world for me but they still gave balloon door to messi, it's a fix.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

SI posted:

As already stated, the ME is extremely hard to balance, and adjusting this area safely and efficiently within the bounds of the current ME was not a viable option.

lol we're done here boys, someone write the eulogy. Maybe they are too proud to roll back to the original beta of 16 which was far better, maybe they know will probably just make it worse.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Like where do they go from here, there's basically no room for 17 to have a single flaw on release because we know they won't improve it, I'm melting down.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I played a longish save recently, like 4 seasons, and fuckin hell I don't see how you guys go to 20+ when the AI has no idea how to manage a squad long term, through a combination of factors but the biggest is their terrible rotations leading to them playing 75% condition pensioners with the rest icon, and never playing their great kids so they stagnate, this has a lot of knockon effects.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

Common sense says Leicester play on the Counter and Arsenal Control games but in FM terms Leicester Attack from a 4-4-2 while Arsenal play Defensively in a 4-2-3-1.

That said you can do a decent version of most playing styles without ever changing from Standard.

I stick with Defensive because it has the Timewasting button.

Yeah if I want that kind of counter I do Attacking and a slightly deeper or normal line.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's quite trendy to these days to have an attacking tactic with a defensive mentality. We may need an overhaul of the ME at this point.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

When debating the formations and the defensive strength of your wings etc, you should be having multiple formations anyway.

For example I often have a 4-1-4-1 that I use as a counter tactic, but another one on the next tab that basically just puts the wingers up to the AM tier, and changes the mentality to attacking, now it's a 4-1-2-2-1 with 2 inside forwards and it owns teams that sit back. Having just one tactic is foolish imo unless you are using a min/maxed downloaded one.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 22, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah it's a sign that your tactics are being improved by those retarded suggestions the assman makes, it means you probably aren't as competent as you say you are or perhaps it's just strange individual circumstances in that specific match. You raise a good point though in that it would be interesting to see exactly what your assman did.

For example assmans go loving schiz over playing a high 4-2-3-1, I wonder what changes they make etc, since I'm pretty sure they also go schiz over a deep 4-2-3-1.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 29, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That's just one of the things they insisted they were looking at back in beta, insisted that everyone who was complaining was a retard who should shut up because just be patient or whatever, obviously they are fixing it or maybe it was always just your tactics?, for like 6 whole months, when it turned out surprise, they aren't fixing it in FM16 but in FM17 instead*. Though it was actually was one of the minor issues in this category of "stuff we will definitely fix in the winter patch guys!".

*Yeah good luck on that.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 2, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

You've turned on the two settings that tell your players to ignore your instructions.

Full-backs on automatic lol

What do you mean, expressive and roaming? That's not ignoring instructions, that's just them lookin for big passes beyond role instruction, and open space to attack when it opens up, those are his instructions!

You have to be careful with those instructions but it's not like they are inherently bad, you are just a really conservative manager Sassy. These tactics have their place as long as it's not your plan A B and C.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Oh yeah I agree that people have too many conflicting instructions that cancel each other out, especially since many instructions are essentially just tempo modifiers, but I disagree that those ones are redknapp run about a bit things.

There's an art to gettin good players to actually consistently break down teams, and letting players have that freedom needs some thought put into it elsewhere, for example the tip you gave about having a DLP-D on your attacking wingback side. It requires a refined tactic it's not just about telling your good players to do whatever, you'd be surprised at how many players can get a top team relegated for no reason.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

16 is probably in context the worst release in a decade, maybe SI are too focused on making motorsport manager or whatever.

The whole process of releasing the broken game after testing a different one in beta, acting like it's being fixed and complaining is not allowed though mostly just saying "it's your tactics mate" , and then 6 months later saying "well sorry hopefully we can fix it in 2017 it's all just so unfortunate. "

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The 16.3 patch had a few irrelevant tiny match engine changes and ignored all the big issues they said they would fix, because they either gave up or couldn't figure out how. Be sceptical of this pre order, they suppress bad feedback too much to have learnt anything.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bogan Krkic posted:

I wouldn't even be mad if they never went in but at least went close, but I don't see Payet/Willian/Sigurdsson hitting a free kick closer to the corner flag every second attempt irl. Same with one on ones, fine if a player misses it but being clean through and then shanking it out for a throw just doesn't fuckin happen and it ruins MY IMMERSION

Yeah worst thing with one on ones is when your striker gets a couple "clear cut chance" clean through 1 on 1 but surprise, it's only like a 5% chance to score so now he has 6.1 match rating and his head has dropped.

Meanwhile your right back who let in 2 goals and did nothing on attack is running around with a 8.0 rating.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 22, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

quote:

Defensive AI has been improved - Defenders adapt more to the players they're playing against. Position themselves better from crosses and corners and react better to lose balls. Goalkeepers make better judtgements when to come out to close down players.

Oh yeah cheers SI, thanks for that retarded loving cycle of:

1) Nothing is wrong, it's your tactics

2) Perhaps something is wrong, but we need more players pointing out exact examples and uploading .pkms to even be able to analyse that our game is loving poo poo on a level that the developers children should be able to see

3) Ok something is definitely wrong, relax, it will OBVIOUSLY be fixed in the patch, stop posting about this

4) Ok we can't fix the problem this year, it's so complex we'll have to fix it next year...actually who even said there was a problem in the first place? Are you sure it's not your tactics?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah it did haha, I didn't get fooled into "beta testing" for them this year, but my mate says the 17.1 prerelease patch changed the match engine for the worse again exactly like last time. It really shows how much contempt they have for feedback.

e: newer steam reviews talk about this as well.

What do they think we're beta testing exactly, the data analysts and social media stuff? They hand out the beta every year with some fake match engine that they change opposite to what people ask for.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 4, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Do you think even 1% of match engine changes get patch notes? (no)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The AI gets hosed over by weird stuff in the ME just as much as you do, and tbh, one of the worst problems with the AI is how bad it is playing at the game, it is not cheating to get cheeky results against you.

If you ever have a long term save...don't consider it noteworthy in any way, past around 2020 the AI has shat the bed and none of the AI squads can compete against a human no matter how bad of a player they are.

The problems with the match engine do not stem out of difficulty at beating the AI, they are caused by weird gamey tactics making beating the AI unsatisfying.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

They've still not fixed AI managers thinking positional familiarity ratings matter to performance.

Imagine if you made all your player selection and purchasing decisions based on star ratings. That's how bad the AI is at the game.

Yeah this is what causes AI squads to stagnate long term.

Why play 2.5 star Kovacic when you have 4.5 star Modric? Then 2020 rolls around and Kovacic is completely undeveloped and probably got transfer listed a while back, while Modric plays every match, long term the AI just can't maintain a proper squad and you get this weird race to the bottom going on.

This is also why the AI will come at you with 70-80% condition players it refuses to rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Basically you shouldn't listen to anything, everything the game suggests is wrong and the AIs are all racing to the bottom as the save gets longer.