Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

got the game for christmas and it seems good.

got promoted with middlesbrough with an insanely poo poo squad so i've still got the magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

KoldPT posted:

Just finished my tenth season at Wrexham and did a little imgur gallery of my key achievements and newgen

belgium / germany won the world cups, croatia/switzerland/spain won the euros

congratulations but also, switzerland won the euros? holy poo poo.

JustJeff88 posted:

Speaking of Wrexham, there is a long LP of an older version of FM (14, I think) on the archives. After getting sacked from another 2nd division team, the LPer was hired by Wrexham.

he's doing a new one now I think but the wrexham one will forever be legendary.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Mans posted:

If you're in the lower leagues and need bodies then get some loans.

People are really shy about loans, get as many of those blue names as possible.

also if you're semi pro, non contracts are completely insane value, you can have man city tier squad depth for your level and just win games via never having fatigued players.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's 2028 in my current FM21 save and United finally sacked Solskjaer. They replaced him with... wait for it... no, seriously, wait for it........... Mourinho

:cawg:

when my fm21 save got to 2030 klopp went to man city and pep went to liverpool

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Eric the Mauve posted:

That reminds me, in every FM game I've ever played (back to FM18) Brentford has shot straight to the Premier League and stayed there for decades. Is it just me? I thought Miles was a Watford supporter.

Brentford are probably one of the best run clubs in the world, the fact it took them so long to get to the premier league was down to bad luck more than anything.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

Does this game just have one tactic that dominates every year regardless of opponent tactics and will almost always win based on the level of composition? That's kind of sad.

No, no there are about a dozen lol

ive been playing 4-3-3 gegenpress for years and it overperforms every year.

also the AI is really bad at the game.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

i think my biggest pet peeve for football manager match engine is how penalties are scored like, less than 50% of the time.

it's mental.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

I found it quite humorous that they did a major survey of penalties (I presume all kinds) and found that, by far, just shooting it straight down the middle was the most reliable way to score one.

All they need to do is move the spot back a fair distance. That would give the keeper more time to react and more likely to save, and also raise the miss chance. That way, giving a penalty in live play would not be such a game-changing decision and it would make match results less likely to swing on the whims of officials and flop artists.

was the survey before or after they changed the walk up rule? because when you were able to stop and pivot at will in the run up it seemed like every time you'd just send the keeper the wrong one and put it down the middle.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

When did they change the rule? I'm honestly not sure. It just works because keepers have no time to react - they just guess. It's essentially a sort of double-bluff that doesn't involve much physical skill, which is why I advocate moving the spot back.

looks like 2010, so probably checks out.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

Somewhat off-topic, but I am currently re-reading that FM2014 LP on lparchive.org for the first time in years. Good stuff if you haven't seen it.

its one of the best lp's ever imho

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

poe meater posted:

I want to get into this game but uhh I don't know anything about soccer. I play a ton of Out of the Park but this is so foreign to me.

Should I start with an American team? Is that easier to understand assuming they only play in one "league"? Set nearly everything to automated coaches?

do not play in the MLS.

play in france, the bundesliga or the netherlands.

these leagues are pretty open besides the top spot, have super friendly registration rules and have a clear target to take down.

main thing to focus on at the start is morale and cohesion, that will win you alot of games on it's own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Obliterati posted:

The scariest part of the Goon multiplayer league was not being able to savescum the team meetings

for me it was always registration day.