Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Charlie Mopps posted:

I've tried playing in the lower leagues but i really cannoy deal with players who have a CA and PA of like 10 and for all stats a 1 or so. Its terrible and i respect anyone who can stomach that kind of game.

I find it's the only enjoyable way to play, really.

Taking a team, buying the best players in the game or using an editor or cheat sheet to find the best youngsters and then watching the game engine just do its thing when you have the best team already and are just waiting for it to all work itself out isn't REALLY playing the game all that much.

Way more effort and satisfaction in taking a lower division team, making your tactics work for who you can sign, rather than finding players who fit your tactics and having to actually give a poo poo about your budget from year to year knowing that you'll get fired if you have too many players making too much money in the twilight of their careers and you can't move them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Cityinthesea posted:

Hopefully they get the champions league spot...

What weird poo poo do you have going down? Why are all the teams named 2?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

SirFozzie posted:

As part of MLS's expanding of rosters to try to get more homegrown players ready at the highest level possible, they've created Acaademy (basically U-18), and 2nd teams, that play in a lower division, so that the team's young players and scrubs can get competitive game time.

So Seattle's 2nd team (which plays in USL Pro) managed to pull off the US Open Cup win. May be a bug, I don't know if 2nd teams are allowed in the US Cup.

edit: Just checked Da Wiki and yeah, they're allowed.

Okay that actually sounds great. Maybe I'll buy the new one before x-mas sale now.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

SirFozzie posted:

It may or may not be reflected in the game.. but non-MLS leagues are not playable in USA anyway.

I'm just excited that I finally get a B team for my MLS team and can develop kids properly.

The cup is always a shitshow and no board ever cares about it so I don't either. But B teams, hooray finally.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

sassassin posted:

That just means the rest of your squad is shite.

Good news! It's MLS. Two 5*'s means you win the league without even trying too hard.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

sassassin posted:

5* is relative to your squad, not everyone else's. Jozy Altidore would be a 5* player on a team of 12 year old girls.

Most MLS teams have rosters made up entirely of garbage, one youth player that's above average, and 1-2 DP signings that may or may not be worth half a poo poo the season after they're signed.

No teams have 5*'s relative to your or their squads. Even if they did, they'd last half a season before getting bought by a team in Qatar or some oil-rich owners in a small league.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I have only ever bought the game on a steam winter sale, and it's always at least 40% off at some point of the winter sale. They're doing it differently this year with no flash sales or one-day bonus deals so I dunno if it'll just sit at %33 or %40 off and never dip down to 50, but it's still cheaper.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

okay since this apparently is NOT part of the steam sale for the first time in at least 4 years that I can remember, is there any place with an active discount on 2016?

I now mostly regret not using any of the previous discounts I suppose, but I figured it'd be $20 on the xmas sale like usual and I prefer to pick it up when the bugs are at least half ironed out.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

joe football posted:

For people waiting for a decent sale, green man gaming currently has FM 16 for $30 after their coupon code(XMAS20-PERGMG-SVINGS), which is the cheapest I've seen and the price I wait for every year before buying. Have yourself a subtly incrementally improved FM christmas

sweet, thanks for the heads up! I'll pull the trigger at $30.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

and now i'm trying to download lots of GB's of logos and kits and facepacks on a 1.5mbit DSL connection.

game will be playable by Monday maybe.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

hooman posted:

I just got my intake of 15 year olds playing as Los Angeles in the MLS...

How are all of them 4 gold star potential and 1 gold star ability already...

Because it's relative to the average talent in the league and MLS is regarded as a pretty low quality league in the game, so you can crush it prettty easily with scrubs from other leagues.

The draft doesn't help much since it floods in a lot of low quality talent and lowers the bar for everyone else, without actually raising the quality of the teams.

It's messed up but easily exploitable.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

hooman posted:

EDIT: Who can sell Robbie Keane to so I don't have him squatting on a DP contract and 53k pounds a year while he warms my bench.

just waive him before the guaranteed contract date pre-season?

Someone else will claim him, he's off your books, everyone wins.

I doubt you can sell him to anyone, I've always had trouble getting DP's to agree to move elsewhere if they were underperforming their contract.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

I've tried MLS saves before but I'm too stupid to understand the rules and end up loving myself because i don't have enough generation Adidas double secret black diamond clearance players under 23 in my starting squad

MLS isn't really that complicated. The draft is garbage, your Academy produces crap. You sign players from around the world that got overlooked because you can't afford transfer fees. You get 2 "too old for first team soccer" slots that you use usually for a striker and a goalkeeper or midfielder and then fill your roster out with garbage. Since CONCACAF is relatively unimportant and usually won by a Mexican team anyway, you don't need a lot of depth, just injury fill-ins so you can keep a very lean roster. Unless the scheduler glitches you don't end up with too many weeks with two games. The real challenge is the parity in which you have to turn your roster over rather frequently and teams can and will go from zero to playoffs in one year, followed by being unable to give better contracts to their top players and going back down to the bottom the next. Including you.

I find that doing an English team or anywhere else is far easier for team continuity and just being able to throw money at the problem. If you sell someone for 50M in MLS, it doesn't matter you literally throw a large chunk of that money straight to MLS's Executive Cocaine Party fund, and the rest in an untouchable vault that you can't spend because 1) nobody's going to accept a transfer from almost anywhere to MLS, and 2) you can't use it to pay players because the salary cap stops you. The AI is straight up impossible to deal with because the players understand none of this. At least if you sell someone in a low-tier league to a better team, that generally turns into money you can use to improve your team. MLS isn't having any of that. I've found that MLS teams generally follow the boom/bust cycle and the challenge is avoiding that. There's definitely nothing in the favor of the player having a salary cap and 99% of the players of the world rejecting you because the max you can pay them is $95k/year instead of the 250k/year they'll get on the bench in the Championship on a team about to get relegated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Is there a link to this setup for FM20? Haven't seen a need to pony up for 21 yet but I'm curious.