Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Well, it's about that time, the beta for Football Manager 2016 is out.

Which means that there's a whole bunch of things they did to fix long running complaints.. even more long running complaints that weren't answered, and new and exciting things to complain about.

New: Create-a-Team main mode. Want to have Messi and Ronaldo playing for your team? Go ahead. Make "Idonthaveaclue United" and take them through the ranks
Create-a-Manager: Um.. I don't want to say the feature's a bit horrible.. more like a lot horrible. But if you ever wanted to make a horrible looking version of you to run around on the sidelines, this is your shot.
Fantasy Draft Minimode. Create teams with your friends and then play off in a minileague against each other.

Tactics screen looks way different, not sure I like it. UI got a LOT busier, which is good (more information available on screen), and bad (holy gently caress information overload)
Couple new camera angles, for those of us who play 3D mode, sorry no new camera angles for you 2D Grognards.

And of course, lots and lots of yelling and screaming about players being misrated/overpowered/underpowered, or finding new and innovative bugs in the match engine.

Have at it, FM nerds....

IMPORTANT LINKS:

http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com - Learn what stuff does, because the game won't tell you.
http://www.sortitoutsi.net - Want Facepacks for the something mainstream like the EPL or something really obscure like the Slobodian Ninth Division? The sper.. er.. special folks at SortItOutSi have it covered, high and low
http://community.sigames.com - The official forums. Be careful about how you post there, there's a lot of "It never happened to me, therefore you must be using a pirated copy" bannings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Apparently, the 2022 World Cup can be moved out of Qatar.. and not all the time..

(somewhat confirmed by Miles on twitter)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
As part of MLS's expanding of rosters to try to get more homegrown players ready at the highest level possible, they've created Acaademy (basically U-18), and 2nd teams, that play in a lower division, so that the team's young players and scrubs can get competitive game time.

So Seattle's 2nd team (which plays in USL Pro) managed to pull off the US Open Cup win. May be a bug, I don't know if 2nd teams are allowed in the US Cup.

edit: Just checked Da Wiki and yeah, they're allowed.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Update: The next season's US Open Cup will not allow 2nd teams in the cup:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/11/05/u-s-open-cup-dismisses-mls-owned-usl-clubs-for-2016-tournament/

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
It may or may not be reflected in the game.. but non-MLS leagues are not playable in USA anyway.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Release Candidate 1 patch out.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Now that the editor is out, I've remade my American Premier League file. Anyone want to test it out?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=92098750495037537884

Also available on Steam Workshop:
Description:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=554739585

This is a first release of the American Premier League file. This is designed to allow folks to play American teams without the salary cap management and general pain that MLS rules create.

Sixty Four teams are in this first release:

20 MLS teams in the American Premier League (B teams not allowed)
20 NASL/USL teams in the American Championship
24 NASL/USL teams (including B teams) in the American Challenge Division.

Prize Money and TV money in the top two leagues, life in the Challenge Division offers limited prize money and results based money (more if you win, but a little bit even if you lose).

Also included is a 64 team US Open Cup, featuring all 64 league teams.

This file will be updated with changes (I hope to add a fourth division, and expand the Cup competition.)

Comments and suggestions are always encouraged.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Honestly, as the thread starter, I want to change the thread title to "Football Manager 20XX: This year, with XX new features"

(and yes, XX is the joke. It changes every year, but the core remains the same)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One of the nice quality of Life features is when you click a player to be substituted, it highlights the players who play that position, and the assistant puts an icon next to the person he recommends come on for him

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, I have an idiot wonderkid on my celtic team in 2021-22.

I bought him for 18.25 Million pounds from Anderlecht a year and half ago in game time (I used fake names, so I'm not sure what his real name is).

During last night's sim, he went AWOL from training twice. Unfortunately, a poorly scheduled computer restart meant that three weeks didn't happen (monthly saves).. so when I continued from the last save game today, I was keeping an eye on him.. and yup, he did it again, only worse.

"Frank Van Der Bracht will not be available for selection against Dundee today after he was seen leaving a bar in the early hours of this morning." So the NINETEEN YEAR OLD IDIOT misses a key end-season game after having a few too many at the pub.

And it's not even that he's trying to force a transfer. His temperament is Jovial, however, and in response to the two week fine (which he said to me "Honest, boss won't never happen again"), his Dynamics report is "Feels like he'll be backed by fellow members of his social circle due to his presence within this circle of players.

At this point, I'm just hoping and praying to make back my money (he's currently valued at 12 million with several teams interested)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, I was going to write "I was half expecting his profile to read "The next Paul Gascoigne"...

Looking at his hidden stats: Ambition 3, Loyalty 7, Professionalism 9

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 25, 2019

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Waroduce posted:

This thread needs an upgrade it's the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen

There. The thread should now be evergreen until the end of the universe or they stop responding "It's your tactics" to match engine problems. (which is the same thing)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One thing that FM has over real life, is that when people try to force their way out, if you stand firm they usually give up.

For example, my star defender has handed in four transfer requests so far this period, because I have it set to auto-reject bids for him, but other teams keep trying (Set an asking price of 60 million, they're not even offering half that. Got tired of telling them to gently caress off). Every two days now he puts in a fresh transfer request, which I reject.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I do an American Premier League mod every year, and as soon as I get the FM Editor, I'll be working on a FM20 version.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1565774567

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Pretty much. I had to do some mucking about because the divisions didn't exactly line up cleanly with a Promotion/Relegation setup, but in the lower divisions I usually let club reputation be the decider if there was edge cases.

The split season rule was kind of interesting, I wanted to avoid a 46 game season (and it's only going to get worse as the league grows to 30 teams.. can you imagine how crowded the schedule would be in a traditional home and home setup (ie a 58 game season 0_o), so having a split season where you play each other team once and then split into top and bottom halfs worked. I also wanted the entire season to matter more than just "THE PLAYOFFS".

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

XBenedict posted:

gently caress Juve. Fans will have the mods and fixes out 10 minutes after the game releases.

Real names fix is already out:

https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm20-real-names-license-fix.html

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One thing I do like is that clubs don't magically forget they're interested in a player once the transfer window is over. Before, if someone was wanted by a bigger club, you could just let them be unhappy until the next transfer window, where the bigger team would forget about them and the player would then be ok to resign

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
IF you just want to be the equivalent of director of football, grab an instant result skin, it makes doing multiple seasons in less than a week possible.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
yeah, the assistant manager seems to be doing a good job in my save

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
In other news, happy fm22 beta day.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
His spiritual successor (another 7 footer) got drafted in the MLB draft yesterday

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
if he's of a goonish-nature, does he Sithpost?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I would love to see a version of the England league system based on region, not team level (something like the Brazillian State Championships or the pre-Bundesliga German setup), but where the group stages feed into a national championship league for euro qualification etcetera

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Ah, the perils of having a young talent on your roster:

At age 20, he's a pretty good defender, a definite starter at one of the hardest positions for a relative kid (age-wise) to play at (central defender). He wants more money. I want to give him more money, just to keep him happy, but there's one bit he will not budge on. He wants a minimum fee release set to 14.5 Million... which is less than his current value, and won't negotiate it.

"So you want more money, for me to get less money when you decide you want to leave?"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
nope. I mean, pre-game (this is season 2 with Club Brugge, and he started with the team) the past manager might have, but I've made no promises (other than to offer him a contract which I then had to walk away from when he wouldn't negotiate the release clause)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I think they're pretty much the same, but I think I use sortitoutsi's

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"But, thanks to many years of hard work from across the studio, I’m delighted to announce you’ll be able to bring your FM23 career into FM24 across all platforms. This means, when you first launch Football Manager 2024, you'll be given the option to continue your FM23 story, picking up exactly where you left off - powered with the new features and revamps that FM24 will introduce. And it’s not only for this year’s version of the game that this feature will be active. It’s also the plan to bring saved games from FM24 into FM25, despite the big changes coming for FM25, which I’ll talk about more shortly."

Massive

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And FM just got more evidence that it's so real... Mexico just got FM'd in real life.

Possession 76-24
Shots 25-1
Corners 7-0
Passes completed 580-127

All in favor of Mexico. Final score? 1-0 Qatar.

It's their tactics, mate.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And FM24 announced, out 11/6

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's how importing save games from FM23 to FM24 will work:

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-2024-feature-rollout-and-new-partnerships

quote:

Back in June, I was delighted to let you all know that FM24 would include one of the most requested features over the last 20 years - the ability to transfer saved games from one edition of FM to the next.

Now, I can go into more detail as to how it will work and confirm the platforms that it will be possible on.

Anyone who is not ready to step away from their existing save in Football Manager 2023 (PC/Mac), Football Manager 2023 Console (Xbox/PS5) or Football Manager 2023 Touch (Nintendo Switch™), will be able to continue that career into FM24, FM24 Console or FM24 Touch and benefit from this year’s new additions in the process. Unfortunately, this won’t be possible for FM24 Mobile, although it’s something our team are exploring for the future.

When you load FM24, FM24 Console or FM24 Touch for the first time, you’ll see a panel directly above ‘Start a New Game’ that reads ‘Load FM23 Saved Games’. This panel contains details about how transferring saves works and allows you to begin the process of bringing a game forward from FM23.

All of the relevant new features in FM24, FM24 Console or FM24 Touch will be present in any saves you bring over. In some cases that will result in certain items or tutorials triggering immediately after you convert your save, while you’ll need to set some other things up from scratch.

The panel I mentioned won’t appear again on subsequent launches but don’t worry, you’ll still be able to load FM23 games into FM24. To do this, go into the Load Game menu and follow the instructions explaining where you’ll find old saves and how to bring them across.

Note that there are a couple of things not possible with transferred save games unfortunately. The first is FM24 achievements (trophies on PS5), which you’ll need to start a new career to accomplish. You also won’t be able to watch replays of matches played in FM23, as these aren’t carried across when converting.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
For those of you who would like to avoid using pre-made tactics (or premade custom tactics), someone has gone to volumnious length on how to build your own tactic using FM24's new Positional Play system.

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/577981-fm24-positional-play-explained-with-examples/

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Speaking of breakdowns, holy poo poo, I didn't realize all the stuff that Tactic Makers do when building their tactics to represent real-life tactics.

https://rdftactics.notion.site/Liverpool-vs-West-Ham-5fea5889decf4a6b89961acc21063d69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GlWOak1K5k

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If you're going to play in USA, wait until someone (me? Dunno if I have the patience this year) releases a version of America that doesn't use MLS's crazy-rear end rules.

(I did an "American Premier League" mod with pro.rel, etcetera for some past versions. Not sure if I have the patience but I think I'll give it a go, just so I can coach my Revs (and not get thrown out in a coaching putsch like Arena did in RL)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, been spitballing on doing my American Premier League:

Currently we have:

MLS 29 Teams (with 30 coming in 2025- San Diego)
USL Championship 29 Teams as of 2025
USL League One (12+2 Coming)
USL League Two (80+ Regional Teams, Non-Professional)

Way I'd probably want to handle it:

American Premier League (APL): 30 teams (29 current MLS teams+ Created San Diego), playing a 43 game season

Starts With: single round-robin (29 games)

league splits (Top 15 split plays for playoffs, Bottom 15 play to avoid relegation) single round robin, 14 more games.

Top 6 or 8 (depending on how difficult to set up) qualify for single leg playoffs (if top 6, top 2 teams get bye). Games are at higher seed, 90 minutes+Penalties

Bottom four teams relegated to ACL

American Championship League (ACL): 30 teams (29 already in USL Championship, 1 from either USL League One or League Two, or created).

43 game season (Round Robin: 29, Split, play 14 more). Top half plays for promotion, bottom half plays to avoid relegation

Top 3 auto promote to APL, 4th-7th playoff for final promotion spot
Bottom 3 relegated to American League One

American League One (AL1):

16 teams (13 or 14 USL League 1 teams, plus two-three USL League Two or created), playing 37 game season (double round robin, split, single round robin against teams in split)

Top 2 auto promote to ACL, 3rd and 4th playoff for the final promotion spot

No relegation in V1 (not sure I want to do amateur leagues)

USLC (US League Cup): 76 team tournament featuring all teams from APL, ACL and AL1: Lowest 24 teams play a preliminary round: 12 winners join 52 teams in main draw. Single legged knockouts with penalties after 90 minutes.

My thoughts: Would probably do 25 man rosters for APL-ACL, with a minimum of 8 American or Canadian Players in that 25. Maybe less in AL1. I may also absorb Canada's league at the AL1 level, to provide more numbers. 5 subs, 3 stoppages in all leagues, VAR in APL only. Yes. I know, playoffs suck, but as Americans, we're used to them. I don't like splitting both the APL and ACL after 29 games, but really, there's no way to do a schedule where every team plays every team once, without splitting it up. (I could also do two 15-team divisions, but not sure how it would work with continental spots)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Sad to see no joke "He's got it, yes, baby he's got it" jokes about a Bananarama league (I may be one of the few people who remember that band)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Alright, been working my butt off on this, and it's ready for outside testing:

Are you tired of MLS's byzantine rule system? Can't tell your Generation Adidas from your designated player (young or otherwise?) Wish that America had promotion and relegation like (insert your favorite nation here)..

Well, it's never going to happen in real life, but at least in FM you can, with this Mod.

It replaces MLS with a three tier American Pyramid in this initial release.

A 30 team American Premier League (all 29 existing MLS teams, along with San Diego, who will be joining MLS in the future). They play a 43 game season (29 games in a single round robin, then the league splits into championship and relegation groups, and each group plays a further round robin, giving 43 games). The Top Six teams qualify for a championship playoff. The bottom four teams drop down to..

A 29 team American Championship Conference (Featuring USL Championship teams and upcoming expansion teams, which I had to create). Similar to the APL, they split into a promotion/relegation group after a single round robin (28 games), where both groups play another single round robin against teams from their group. (this means the promotion group plays a 42 game season, while the relegation group plays a 41 game season. Three teams auto promoted to the APL, while the fourth-seventh place team playoff for a fourth promotion spot. The bottom four teams in the relegation group drop down to..

A 20 team American League One (Featuring USL League One teams and the top USL League Two teams by reputation), playing a 38 game season. Top three promote to the Championship Conference, 4th and 5th play off for the final promotion spot.

A midweek US League Cup, featuring all 79 teams from the three divisions (30 teams from the lower levels play a preliminary round, and the 15 winners join the 49 other teams in a 64 team knockout tournament. The championship is played at the Rose Bowl.

This league is currently feature complete, with TV money, prize money (for both game results (wins and draws in the league earn some money, so every game has something riding on it) and league position), and Parachute payments set.

I have run several test runs through the editor and in game, but let me know of any crashes or issues.

Possibly coming in further versions:

tweaking team and league finances so MLS teams don't dominate more than they already do (right now, the lowest MLS teams in my tests have enough finances to just about instantly bounce back up in most all circumstances).

POSSIBLY adding an USA League Two. (this is iffy, because I'm not 100% sure how to add in all the amateur teams divisions, and rebalancing everything would be a stone cold bitch to do). I also may fold in the teams from Canada's structure into the American Premier League (possibly renaming the APL the North American Premier League)

Recommendation: Tick "Add players to playable teams", because a lot of the non-MLS teams do not have a full roster (which is another reason to look at rebalancing), and add staff to playable teams.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/jmtaelh8ftj27n7/APL+0.75.fmf/file

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

JustJeff88 posted:

is this for 23 or 24? I have the former on Epic, but I am not buying the latter as I spent my gaming budget on Super Mario Wonder (I apologise for nothing).

I'm not going to comment on the drama because that's probably 'video game logic' but, drawing from recent RL experience, can you play with inverted winger(s)? I've been helping coach a travel team of university players recently, and we've been adapting the system to the players that we have. We have a good if undersized traditional attacking right wing, but left has been an issue. We do have a player with a strong left foot, but we have a CAM who is a beast as in inverted winger. We thought about dropping our left winger back as a left CAM as we mostly play a 4-1-3-2, but we tried him at Anchoring Mid in our last match because no-one else had distinguished himself there. Turns out he's not a great defender, but he's a brilliant deep-lying playmaker. We also tried to run a false 9 as we don't have a real striker on the team but have tons of attacking mids, but no-one knows how to play that style and we don't have the practice time to learn.

So, we're basically sending out a beast of an inverted left winger, a... body at the 9, a traditional right wing, a CAM who dribbles like a boss but has bouts of selfish play and can't shoot from distance, a box-to-box midfielder who is in that role largely because he has no tactical discipline, and a DLP who passes like Pirlo in front of a traditional 4-man back line. I'm still worried about not having a true Anchor/6, though. It's kind of a hotchpotch for both of us, I think, so I was wondering if you could do something similar? It doesn't have to be a 'balanced' formation in FM, does it? Can you play with a true wing on one side and a CAM on the other, or similar?

For 24. If you have Gamepass, it's on there.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
FM Touch, yes, FM Mobile, no, I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If you're willing to download add on packs, there are a lot of ones out there that cover most of the world.