Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I actually thought the initial beta release was ok, I didnt see a tonne of wonky engine stuff which is unusual but i've not really had chance to play for a few days.

The poo poo fullbacks have been a problem for years now.

It wasn't FM15 but either 14 or 13 where they were horrendous for multiple patches, they used to constantly get ratings of 4s or 5s. About the time when wing backs suddenly became the only solution in game

Even last year they weren't good, they just drift inside and narrow all the time, the only way you can them to close down is by giving them an attacking mentality so they start higher up the pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
You can get 15 percent off at Green man right now, don't know if that's the cheapest though.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

So my right back is taking a throw near the corner flag ... and the game engine decides that the left back should be moved to the right back position :confused:

It doesn't just shuffle the remaining defenders across to fill the space, it just puts him completely out of position. Of course when the opposition breaks downfield, it doesnt just shuffle the defence back the other way, the centre backs stay static and that guy tries to make his way from one side of the pitch to the other to tackle the right winger.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 20, 2015

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
It's £34.99 at Greenmangaming, and there's a 20% off coupon (20PERC-DECMBR-SVINGS) to make it £28.

Would expect it to go on sale during the Steam Winter sale.

You can often get it really cheap from lower league clubs, but they seem to by physical copies which doesn't help you much!

https://twitter.com/OxCityFC/status/669155252332060672

Also, £20 quid at Tesco currently http://www.tesco.com/direct/football-manager-2016-pc/290-9124.prd?skuId=290-9124&pageLevel=sku

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I would be interested in what you guys run on fm16. I am currently running this

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-16-tactics/358219-bluths-16-3-tweak.html

as Blackburn Rovers, not arsenal, in my second season. I'm having trouble filling the tequestra and CF role.

I signed some old striker from the prem and I have a nice American regen striker who looks like a wonderkid but both are poo poo CF's.

I'm also not sure if having attacking wingbacks is too attacking. I have alot of 3-2,3-3 score lines but i don't know how to ensure my wingers pick up any attacking slack

i also don't know poo poo about football tactics so i am scared to change anything as i dont know how to balance any changes.

I have great wingers, as I got Josh Murphy, Alejandro Bedoya (who is great in either central roles and a decent poor mans tequestra), and Ben Marshall so I'm interested in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1 with wide wingers

anyone have anything?

A 4-4-1-1 can play similarly to a 4-2-3-1 if you encourage the wingers to get further forward, but a little more stable defensively.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Cool.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Centre forward wins a header unchallenged a minute into a game.

Broken nose.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Nothing will ever beat championship manager and championship manager italia. Released by a company that my brain tells me dolmeo (almkst certainly wrong).

I think it was Domark (later to become Eidos).

I've bought every version of the game since I picked up Champ Manager Holland/Belgium when all the various leagues came as different discs. Couple of months later got the Italian version

When all the regens were just straight copies of retired players - picking up a 19 year old Maradona for £100k

Stotty fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 18, 2016

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
So am I right in thinking the pre-release beta is coming out on Friday?

Hopefully better than last year where I actually enjoyed the beta then the final version match engine was lovely.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Oh well, at least they added the option to have small icons on the sidebar rather than having to have text over a certain resolution.

Oh they've also changed the name of Limited Centre Back to Defensive Centre Back

Stotty fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 18, 2016

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I'm only playing LLM like usual, but so far the engine feels alright. Certainly no repetitive hoofed balls to the back post tap-ins, then again the beta last year felt not too bad to me either.

My matches in the conference north have felt suitably scrappy and lovely quality.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
FM2016 is the least I've ever played an FM game, most of them have 1000 hours racked up, not even sure i made a couple of hundred on FM2016 (and I actually quite enjoyed the pre-release version). I don't really know why FM2017 is getting downrated, so far it's basically FM2016 with a better match engine - although maybe that's why?

The new features don't really add anything to the previous version but the match engine does feel better, not seeing the same looped cross from a full back to the opposite winger on the back post every time and I've managed to get a couple of different formations actually working. Apart from that I guess there's nothing really new, a few UI tweaks and the pretty pointless fake social media thing.

Isn't it the same with all annual sports games though, there's rarely any monumental leaps forward the main draw is playing with new rules/rosters.

Maybe the splitting of FM and FM Touch has had an effect also.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Shroud posted:

Did the match engine change from the beta to the final release?

Only asking because I remember last year everyone was praising it in the beta, then the release happened, then crosses became op.

They havent released any patch notes the beta phase. there was a patch a few days ago, but it didn't feel significantly different. Another smaller patch last night but the consensus seemed to be it was localisation files.

It's hard to tell without patch notes though. I'm sure they used to release patch notes even during the pre-release phase

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
FM2018 pre-release seems to be live now

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41966203

Kind of a sad story behind Champ Manager legend Tonton Zola Moukoko.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Half the features look like stuff that was in ~15 years ago and were removed.

You used to be able to set positions and formations with/without the ball.

Training used to be a bit more of a high level weekly schedule with certain activities in blocks as well, from what I remember.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I haven't really followed any of this year's changes and hadn't pre-ordered until I saw the beta go live last night and like a rube I immediately caved and bought it (why break a 21 year long streak of buying it :downs: ).

Immediately changed back to one of the classic light/dark themes.

The training changes are so reminiscent of some past version, I think maybe 03/04

The tactics changes initially sounded more impressive and in-depth than before. My first impression is that they are exactly the same as they were previously with a new UI over the top that maybe helps explain what all the different options did previously (I could be wrong). What I do like though, is that there are preset football styles which activate the "right" team instructions rather than just setting a formation and leaving you to figure it out.

Oh yeah and the fact that the touch version is now called "Football Manager 2019 Touch" rather than "Football Manager Touch 2019" is mildy annoying when I look at my Steam games list.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 19, 2018

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUBNTLTyqU

This looks horrendously offside to me, but wasn't flagged.

Other than that, I'm quite enjoying this year's offering. The tactical style presets are quite nice, I'd not really been a fan of the last couple of years tactics and had pretty much resorted to downloading one (which seemed like a confusing mix of contradictory player and team instructions that somehow proved effective).

Player searching and scouting at LLM still seems like a bit of a chore, but otherwise the game seems like a solid improvement this year.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 13, 2018

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Debatable. He was offside for the shot, which you don't have to flag if he's not considered active, and once it's deflected he's free to get involved.

You see them given both ways irl.

I guess, if the other team had scored it against me, I'd probably be raging.

It was more that he never made any attempt to not be offside and was moving toward the ball that made me think it would be given (& whether a deflection would constitute a separate phase of play - since it's not a deliberate attempt to play the ball by the defender). I thought rebounds and deflections merited offside decisions.

Also Man Utd seem to be horrendously powerful this version. 4-5-1 with Vertical tiki-taka unbeaten in 28 and only conceded 9 goals all season.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 13, 2018

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I feel incredibly stupid, but i just discovered you can re-arrange the icons on quick access side bar.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Are there still any 3rd party scouting tools or is it just the official in-game editor now?

Messing about with an LLM club with top class facilities and vaguely interested to see what CA/PA the regens are being given.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Cheers, I'll have a look.

I think FM Scout was maybe the one I was thinking about initially.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
There's a bit of a throw in exploit, which leaves the players coming short for the throw completely unmarked - allowing them to run in to the box unopposed

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
FM in real life:-

Except I definitely would have lost 1-0 to their 1 shot on target

Stotty fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 16, 2019

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Almost every year I really enjoy the beta, then the release day patch inexplicably makes the match engine so much worse.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
:(

Not quite sure why I keep buying it every year at this point - looking at my steam play times, FM2014 was the last version I really enjoyed.

They need some competition from a proper manager game, time to break out

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
That one was sat on my desk after a sudden bout of nostalgia recently, unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops to get it working.

I think CM 95/96 was the first Champ Manager game I bought, the leagues were individual disks - started with the Dutch/Belgian leagues and then eventually bought the Italian one a couple months later.

96/97 had all the major leagues on one install disk as far as I can remember.

I shudder to think how many hours I've sunk into these dumb games since then

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
The code of conduct thing things looks like a nice little addition, instead of having to manage every single fine/suspension.

Unless the players still have a strop at their automated fines.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I always find it quite hard to judge the match engine as I tend to start in the garbage tiers of English football. Its difficult to tell if the match engine is bad or it's having shite players that makes the matches excruciating to watch.

So far:-

1) Direct balls through the middle of the park sail right over the defence and put strikers in constantly
2) Those strikers then miss a lot of 1v1s
3) Players deciding to shoot from the narrowest of angles when there's 2 or 3 players lined up square of them for an easy tap in
4) A lot of shots against the woodwork

I've also watched Vanarama North players play successive pinpoint 50 yard cross-field diagonal passes from full-back to winger to opposite winger before hitting a perfect back post cross

Stotty fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 4, 2019

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Stotty posted:

I always find it quite hard to judge the match engine as I tend to start in the garbage tiers of English football. Its difficult to tell if the match engine is bad or it's having shite players that makes the matches excruciating to watch.

So far:-

1) Direct balls through the middle of the park sail right over the defence and put strikers in constantly
2) Those strikers then miss a lot of 1v1s
3) Players deciding to shoot from the narrowest of angles when there's 2 or 3 players lined up square of them for an easy tap in
4) A lot of shots against the woodwork

I've also watched Vanarama North players play successive pinpoint 50 yard cross-field diagonal passes from full-back to winger to opposite winger before hitting a perfect back post cross

Going to add in a lot of 25-yard screamers arrowing into the top corner to that list.

A video of wingbacks playing a 1-2 with each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzkXvx7-vZw

Stotty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 5, 2019

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Game and editor are out but the determination (and other hidden attribute) bug has only become worse in recent patches so any players without a value set in the database gets a 1-4 rating (most often 1).

This is fine because players can develop, say mods before locking threads talking about it.

I had no idea this was a thing until I saw a post on reddit about it this morning. Just checked the Iceland save I made the other day

I have 4 players in the entire squad with a determination over 3 :(

Stotty fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 19, 2019

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I haven't really played much this time round, but thought I'd give a whirl since there's not much else to do at the moment.

2 minutes in to the first match of the new save:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyuWnXMH3Is

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Looks for pass rather than attempting to score?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtY6PoBTsf4

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

Ah this sounds fiddly but I'll give it a shot. Still, if I miss that window, it's still useful to shortlist all the promising young kids and potentially drop 10-20 mil on someone that looks like a potential stud right? Try doing something like this? https://footballmanagerstory.com/fm-2020-regen-youth-intake-guide-find-the-best-wonderkids/

This is basically the system I have been using, it's pretty time consuming - depending on how many nations youth intakes you add to the initial scouting list.

You'll still pick up most of the good players for pretty reasonable sums though

£5.5 million

£5.5 million

£1.3 million

£4.8 million

£1.8 million

£3.4 million

Even if you buy a few duds who only make it to 2 or 2 1/2 stars, I've been selling those guys on for £10-15 million each anyway.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 10, 2020

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

XBenedict posted:

I'm going to need to see the capacity of the Premier League version of the Deva Stadium, please.

Ah you must mean the erm ... *checks profile page* ... George Horan Arena. Named after some journeyman centre-back, not that I'm bitter about it.

I think the board started plans to build a new 13000 seater stadium when we hit the Championship, but then we got promoted again and I guess the plans got expanded to a much bigger stadium at that point. We had to ground share with Wigan for a couple of seasons.

Chester are a pretty decent lower league team to start with, the starting squad is fairly strong - in particular a couple of cracking strikers that did pretty well for me up to League 2 & League 1. Decent left back in the reserves too that stayed all the way to the Premier League.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
You love to see it:-

heh

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

How tf did you get a stat above 20?

I don't know, there's two above 20 on the attribute page

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
No cheats, no mods. Most of them are 2 or 2.5 stars current ability and a vast majority are out on loan.

Just using the method from the article earlier in the the thread, trawling through the youth intakes and scouting every single player (which in itself I suppose is a bit cheaty :shrug: )

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I'm 21 seasons in, I wouldn't even have noticed but I was thinking about resigning and going back down to the Vanarama and was curious what sort of stats I had in the game now.

I've seen a few posts on Reddit from people posting similar oddness on the attributes page, it's hardly beyond the realm of possibility that something in the game is poorly implemented/coded.

Assuming it's a purely visual bug, has anybody else checked on a long save? You normally get the "Characteristics" page when you go to your profile, so attributes isn't something I would usually look at.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I checked back through previous seasons and Discipline has been as high as 24.

It seems to specifically be "Working with Youngsters" and "Level of Discipline" that are affected.

I wonder if there's events in game, responding to player demands, transfer signings etc, that arbitrarily increase an attribute and there's no logic check until a certain point of the season.