Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I like managing lower leagues as well, but usually within the English system. I think the average CA for most players I use is around 30-40. It's fun to look for players that might be physical beasts but otherwise poo poo that I can use to create huge mismatches.

I have an affinity for recruiting the biggest CB's and CF's I can find, shoving them into a 3-5-2, and roleplaying as Sam Allardyce

Looking forward to finding an English Level 8 file or similar, since I'm too dumb to activate the leagues myself, and taking over Met Police or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I've found only 2 UI glitches. Holidaying for weeks, the scores that tick by end up getting kind of erased or blocked off by nothing when the day ticks off. Also when you want to try to individually train somebody in a position they're already fully competent in, the position doesn't select and instead it seems to pick a random position that one of your other players have (ex. instead of Wing Back it'll be put on Target Man instead or something).

Other than that it's good so far. I heard of a match engine bug where a player gets stuck on the ball and the half basically ends right there because they stand around for the next 40 minutes. I'd probably get around that by save-scumming if it happened to me, though.

Having a hell of a time at the start of my Dafuge challenge. 80-1 odds to be relegated a week before the season starts. I think that happens in every FM game and you can still top the table, though. Seems way harder to find quality players this time, because the scouting is slow.

edit: Restarted because team was poo poo and I hate player attribute masking because I'm a baby. 3 preseason games in and I have 6 injuries :suicide:

texasmed fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 8, 2015

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Yeah at this point in time the challenges I like would be better called LLM challenges since I bend the rules so much. The big draw with dafuge is that you sim through the first season unemployed, and then add a fresh manager and take control of a recently promoted team that was not playable at the start of the game.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
You might have some luck with the key sites. I've used cdkeys.com because they take paypal, I hear kinguin and g2a are also good. I think a lot of those sites will have it for around $40 usd. Also I guess the winter Steam sale is coming, but I forget if the newest FM game goes on any kind of sale for that since it's less than 2 months after release.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
1. What's the deal with the praise conduct interaction? Is it just a free two-step boost to player morale that you can use around once a week? I imagine I'll be careful using it on my less disciplined players who receive cards and whatnot down the line.

2. is there any mod that makes the sign boards on the 3d match engine a little more realistic? It seems it's pretty much SI related ads and Movember. This could be related to my playing in the Vanarama South still.

3. Do yall manage your youth squads manually? I've always felt it's not worth the time playing the extra games, but my U18 manager is apparently a moron and I wonder if my young players are not getting the right amount of game time, or might be being overworked.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 15, 2015

texasmed
May 27, 2004
All I want from this drat game are clean sheets. In my 16 league and cup matches so far, I only have 5, and the number of games with only 1 goal scored is 1 (lost 0-1). It's maddening when I want to grind out boring victories and the game is giving me tons of goals. I'm playing defensive and flexible with a low tempo, short passing, possession oriented style, and almost every match ends up a victory 3-1 or 3-2.

I'm hoping it's just because it's my first season and my poo poo players don't know what I want to do with the system. I've been following this FM15 tactic here and I think I've brought in the right kind of players to fit the style. I do get torn up on the wings playing 3-4-3 but I'm used to that from playing 3-5-2 in previous FMs. Only 25% of my conceded goals have come from crosses, so I'm not even pissed about that.

edit: My tactic familiarity has been super slow to rise because we're part time, so that sucks balls too. Got it up to about 70% so far though.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Just wanted to mention I did finally find a mod that puts realistic advertisements in stadiums. Still downloading it because FM mod download sites.

http://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/24591/fm-2016-ad-board-patch-released-on-10122016

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I kind of wondered why I couldn't find anybody with good star ratings at roles like Complete Forward or Half Back in the conferences. I select them anyway and the forwards still get goals, so I don't really care.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I tend to save-scum most player interactions unless I'm just spam-complimenting good training performances or conduct. So far in my save I've been telling players wanting playing time "it's a long season" and it works, but I fear what will happen once the number of games left starts getting pretty small.

Also I still don't understand why they had to make those interactions 4 times more complicated with all the passionate / assertive etc.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I've spent the entire FM16 season so far trying to play defensive football and keep clean sheets, and various things work okay. Counter attack mentality is pretty good, and a wide partnership on each side works to keep crosses under control.

Normally I try to resist copying people, but I stumbled upon this guy's Atletico Madrid emulated style that plays a defensive 4-4-2, and surprisingly to me I've kept clean sheets in about 75% of the matches since completely ripping it off. I originally thought that not having a defensive midfielder in front of the defense was gonna be leaky, but that's definitely not the case and the advantage of central midfielders is that their mentality is a little higher to help on the attack. I admittedly was lucky in my save by starting off looking for defensive minded players, and starting with a counter attacking mentality that made the switch to defensive easy. I think that going from a fluid control tactic straight to this could be rough.

I don't think I've played a good side that tried to take over my central midfield like a 4-3-3 could, but it's overall performed great for keeping the score low.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I hate the feeling right before conceding a goal where I think to myself, "why are both of my center backs running out wide to cover their MR, oh it's because the game is gifting the opponent with a cheap goal."

Alternatively "why is my fullback standing like a statue, oh"

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I've developed a strange addiction to trying to emulate Simeone's Atletico Madrid side who play a defensive 442 against bigger sides, which I generally use against everybody because I'm a bit lazy when it comes to facing weak opponents. I tried to pay close attention to how they do set pieces and this is what I came up with.

STCR is big and STCL is little, and both center mids are creative but strong defensively and also rather good in the air (as anyone who plays in the middle should be able to win headers :colbert:). Works good for me even though my assistant is always "waah the posts aren't being marked on corners!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004

THE PWNER posted:

You can see it in the match engine!

I think this is the reason it's so lovely. It's a 1 cm tall model blown up to full size, but it also kinda makes me wonder why they can't put a little more effort into the match engine player models.

I always go for the max height and weight, white winter coat so I look like a giant snowman