Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Looking for a little friendly advice:

I'm a 30+ year soccer fan, but in Canada, there's precious little to cheer for, barring our occasional flub into CONCACAF.

Loved 2015, but had to migrate computers and couldn't salvage my 1000+ hour save file.

Should I wait for the 2018 version, or get 2017 next time it goes on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Obliterati posted:

I almost always play LLM games. I'm currently sitting at the bottom end of League Two with Blyth Spartans, which took me six seasons from Vanarama North. Not too happy with how long it's taken but we'll see.

Here's some useful things I picked up for 18, in case you haven't thought of these yet:

-Go mad with trials. Once they leave after a week you'll have perfect knowledge of them. Never waste your limited scout availability on an unattached player.
- Any parent team will be worth your while. Loan their worst youth players, who will still be at your level, and snap them up permanently a year or two down the line when their parent releases them on frees.
- Arranging lucrative friendlies in preseason (hell, during less busy weeks of the season if you can) will drag in a bit of cash.
-Back to back promotions is disasterous and should be avoided.
- With the Vanarama North title under your belt you might be able to step into international youth team management for a weaker nation: I'm managing Canada u23s on the side and using that knowledge to snap up Canadians with EU nationality from their surprisingly good amateur leagues.

Basically the tough thing is finding good talent, so anything that lets you know of more players is good.

I also love the challenge in starting off in the lowest of the low British leagues. (Weston super Mare and Bath are my poisons of choice.) And I beeline for the Canadian job, because I'm Canadian, and legit have an inkling of who is decent, and an undue sense of national pride.

My question to you is:

How do you get past the work permits? Without fail, I am always told they are being denied a work permit. I appeal, and still no go. I've even hired guys who playing in the Vanarama leagues the year before, only to have their permit expire, and have them sent back to their home country.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
Still playing an old FM 2017 save file, and I just don't understand the British Work Permit system.

There's points, it's based on salary, and being in the premier league, and I just want to sign some Canadian boys for my Sky Bet 2 Weston super Mare squad.

So... from what I can understand, Canadian born players without eligibility are right out, unless I want to loan them out for around 5 full years.

What about players like Fraser Aird?

I realize that he's not a household name, so here's his situation:

- Born in Canada
- Trained in Scotland, under Rangers. Currently plays for Brechin, in Scotland and has been playing there since 2010. According to my math, since he was 15. (Currently 23 in my save)
- Selected to my international team a couple of times. He's a fringe player for the Canadian National squad, but he'd be top 3 on my local team slated for relegation. (But actually worrying me by threatening promotion for the 3rd straight season.)
- I think he'd rank in my top 25% for earners, but I'm not sure that matters because I'm in Sky Bet 2.
- I'm his favourite personel :3

There's no guarantee of him being interested, but can I pursue players like this, without running into the rejected work permit fist? I'd actually spend transfer money on this guy. I NEVER do that. I just poach unhappy young players who want to leave for playing time and then... give them playing time.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
Long term FM 2017 save; had to pop in and express my joy.

I've battled up with Weston-super-Mare from the Vanarama South, up to the Sky Bet Championship, where we're doing fairly well.

We draw Tottenham in the 5th round of the FA cup; and I'm mentally punting the game before it starts. How am I going to keep morale up for league play if Tottenham rock us by 7?

Oh.

By beating them 3-2 in regulation.

Played not quite my best 11, and they played their D team; while poo poo talking us all week... and we just got off to a flying start and held out.

Easily the biggest win for my dudes, ever.

Taking my smuggled Canadians to Disneyland! Or whatever Weston-super-Mare has.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
So, I broke down a few weeks ago and bought FM 2021, with my prior version having been 2017.

Some thoughts:

The UI is hideous. And I LIKE purple.

The match engine has taken quantum leaps in the last four years. Players generally react to everything now. They don't just stop dribbling, and hold the ball in place until they're fouled or dispossessed. Dribbles and dodges both work and look better.

I'm not sure if I've just become better at the game, but sims seem to take less time now as well, with strategies generally working as intended. Well... provided your players are good enough to perform. Watching guys with single digit stats try to play is interesting in its own right. The point being, if I tell them to try early crosses... they mostly do. And when they don't; it's more apparent WHY they failed or chose something stupid.

Tactics matter, and dynamics seem to matter as well. At the very least, I can't scummily invite 35 players on trial, have them get off the plane, check their teeth and send them on their way. Each player arriving and leaving affects team dynamics.

Goaltending on the pitch is improved as well. Rebounds occur, for instance. Goaltenders in '17 tended to be black holes, from which no cross would escape. Even with max tendency to punch, they'd just catch everything, often while sprawling in a dive. Now, they punch corners and crosses. Sometimes!

And in a development purely pleasing to only me:

The Canadian National team is a loving powerhouse. I BEAT Mexico for the first time EVER, this week. Sure, it was in a friendly, but it's just so nice to have good players... and prospects I had earmarked in 2017 turned out to be bangers 4 years later.

I have never had the opportunity to coach a player as good as Alphonso Davies, and it just changed the way I play. 19 Pace and Acceleration! He plays for Bayern, so he might actually get trained up to be a finisher. (But he won't, I think they use him as a left back.)

Anyway, 9/10. Would recommend, at 50% off. If you haven't updated in ages.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

178 cm is tiny?

Speaking purely from real life soccer experience?

That exact size regulated me to strictly playing on the wings and as a forward, where winning the ball was less important.

It also kept me out of the net, because coaches were concerned I'd get beat high all the time.

I would also get muscled off the ball by bigger athletes, but part of that was being a wildly underaged player.

My FM profile would have been two parallel lines on the wings, with somewhat competent level of familiarity, and a jumping reach of ... like 3, and heading rating of 1.

Wish I'd had FM growing up, so I could have suggested to my coaches: "Why don't you use me as a poacher? I'm fast as poo poo, and can finish." Just to watch their eyes roll.

And then find a social group of unambitious players to hang out with to stunt our collective development.

Or ask for a transfer if I didn't get more playing time.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Slotducks posted:

lol Zealand called out SI about lying about the dynamic youth ratings and now SI is pissed off they're getting called out for their overpromising on features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaklUnCR60M

Drama! In Football Manager!

Seems like this would be really easy to counter.

SI: See? Here's a save where... Greece makes the final 8 in the World Cup, and their NYR goes up for about half a decade.

Instead, they release a statement against a guy who has thousands of hours playing their game... essentially testing and promoting it for free. And Zealand's argument is essentially provable and ironclad, with on-screen support.

Just admit you goofed.

Or things didn't work as intended.

I'd even take: "Are you really going to play 100 years as St. Kitts and Nevis, to test this?"

OR they could even loving lie, but in a harder to prove way.

"Oh, it's in there, but the odds of seeing it occur are about the same as having your kid play for you. Hidden attributes. Not even shown in the editor. Sorry."

OR lie again, in a creative way.

"It's in there, but it's a random event."

Maybe I am one of the only weirdo who wants soccer powerhouse Canada to win everything, ever. Just so weird to advertise something so weird, and so niche and not even deliver.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
Guilty of staggering my subs.

One shortly after 60 minutes, another shortly after 70, and then another around 82.

Any game I don't save a sub for the dying minutes of the game?

"Oh would you look at that. Five consecutive knocks in minutes 83-90. Too bad you used your bench already!"

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Azhais posted:

It was a perfectly viable tactic in Nintendo World Cup

If it's good enough for Kunio-kun...

To avoid cards, I've found aggression to be the key stat, along with tactics of whether or not you're going in hard, and staying on your feet. Guys with 14+ aggression are just going to pick up cards. You'll never feel cheated on the effort, though. Maybe the result, but not the effort.

Staying on your feet, as a tactic, has the the added advantage of guys not missing hilariously with errant tackles. Nothing quite like the feeling of the first minute ejection for a double footed tackle that missed by 4-5 feet.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Always enjoyable when a team fresh off a treble is offended at your unrealistically ambitious expectation that they should be able to challenge for the league this year.

Funnier still is that there usually is no right answer.

"We're in for a fight next season; so get ready to put in the work."

<<WHAT? YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN US?!?">>

Hm.

"You know what, boys? I think we can stay up, next season."

<<WHAT?!? HOW **DARE** YOU PUT THE KIND OF PRESSURE ON US.>>

Hmmm...

"We might need to bring in some faces to compete next year, so be ready."

<<HOW. DARE.>>

fffff.....

"Let's curl up into a ball, and forfeit next season. Everyone still gets paid."

<<DON'T YOU BELIEVE IN US?>>

I honestly say as a little as possible at this point, and take the small hit for not making promises.