Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The first FM I ever played was 20. I got really into it despite not knowing what in the god drat hell I was doing. I didn't play 21 that much for whatever reason.

I was really winging it in 20 when I set up my game. I want to do 22 right. Any tips for setting my sim up in terms of leagues, management etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

kingturnip posted:

The extra leagues you load depends on what kind of save you want to play.
If you want an active transfer market, have a range of leagues available from a similar geographical area - e.g. you're managing in England, so add Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland + France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Holland. If you're expecting to be managing in the top couple of leagues, then there's probably no need to add the lowest tiers from any given country.

If you're playing at lower levels, you'll want to load lower tiers - again - in similar quality leagues to give you the best chance of signing players. So...
Probably the easiest thing is just say what kind of save you're looking to play, and let people give you specific advice.

I'm obviously not smart or hardcore enough to take a lower level club through promotion etc. I'm sure I'll end up with a team in the prem trying to win the champions league and so on. I need a transfer budget to play with and players I recognize or ill be out of it.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Mans posted:

I still recall some of the heroes of my Benfica 2017 game that reached 2031. Alex Mano, Heitor Fajardo, Svendsen, Blas Klomp. Absolute legends of the newgen world :)

This is why I get so excited when I see Thiago Almada to MLS news on twitter. He turned into Messi for me in FM20.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

RobertKerans posted:

Edit: re dB size, if you play prem you'll have an issue signing anyone lower leagues that isn't UK because work permits (though obvs can ship them to a feeder club, but that takes ages). You want every possible league in the UK tho. My current dumb but extremely satisfying transfer market tactic that works because of this: max out facilities + gold coaches as much as is viable, search for players under 20 who have pace >= 15 and cost less than say 100k, scout the ones that seem to have good physical attributes or look ok. Scout will always say they're poo poo (edit: occasionally they won't, in which case need to buy as they'll be very good indeed). If the scout gives them 1½ stars or up and the report says could improve, particularly if teamwork is good, scout is wrong, buy them, they'll probably be good enough in a year or two to get in first team or if not at least be sold for a nice price.

This is good advice for me personally because I'm sure I don't fully grasp all the coaches/trainers dynamics. I'm pretty sure in 20 I was setting records for coach turnover every year.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
They've really nailed the "ahh gently caress was that offsides, oh wait no, the goal is allowed" feeling that comes after you score.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
I'm trying to take a Serie C team (Trento represent) to Serie A.

I won Serie C and got promoted to B and got no investment ... managed to stay up and got ... no investment. Stayed up again and finished 11th ... no investment. Is there a trick to this? Each year I've managed to consolidate some payroll into a single decent signing but some of them are already wanting out before I can build off them. I'm mid table in my third year of Serie B and my payroll is still about $3 million. I just drew with Frosinone and they had guys on their bench valued at 3x my entire payroll lol. It's a fun challenge but I'd like to see some progress.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

kingturnip posted:

If you're not owned by a megabastard, then Italy is harsh when it comes to funds.
You're probably going to have to sell players to make money, which is hard since Serie B isn't a very reputable league (so player values won't rise very quickly/much).
Or just do the usual - rely on as many loanees as you can get away with, paying them as little as you can get away with, and hope that your board don't take that as a sign that you can afford to run a club on cheap pizza and imagination.

OK, that's kinda what I've been doing. Im pretty much just breaking even because it took me so long to get a handle on who I can profit off of. I was spending lots of time trying to flip transfers but it seems like the easiest way to do it is to sign free transfers to low wages and then sell them to some of the richer teams that got demoted to Serie C. I've gotten a couple of guys on a free that i was able to slip for $500k or so. Slow and steady.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
One of my transfer targets just came out as gay. The best part was the release was like "so-and-so came out as gay. he has 3 goals and 7 assists this year." That was it.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
This game gets me every year, there's nothing like it.

Last year I started out with a lowly Serie C team (AC Trento) and eventually won the champion's league with them (over Aston Villa so it barely counts but still) after about 12 years of working them up. Escaping Serie B was the hardest part.

This year I picked a third-tier Norwegian team (Lyn) and have gotten them into Norway's top level. Last season I even won a few champions league qualifying matchups before exiting an making it to the Europa knockouts, where Lille finally got me. I made north of $10m, which means I finally have a transfer budget above $250k and a payroll north of $3m. A new season is about to start (albeit without many of my transfers in, because Norway plays such a weird schedule, and I won't see my purchases until July or August but whatever.)

There's just nothing like figuring out a tactic, then bringing in players for it and watching your team figure it out. I haven't seen my family in 6 weeks.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

NutShellBill posted:

Funnier still is that there usually is no right answer.

"We're in for a fight next season; so get ready to put in the work."

<<WHAT? YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN US?!?">>

Hm.

"You know what, boys? I think we can stay up, next season."

<<WHAT?!? HOW **DARE** YOU PUT THE KIND OF PRESSURE ON US.>>

Hmmm...

"We might need to bring in some faces to compete next year, so be ready."

<<HOW. DARE.>>

fffff.....

"Let's curl up into a ball, and forfeit next season. Everyone still gets paid."

<<DON'T YOU BELIEVE IN US?>>

I honestly say as a little as possible at this point, and take the small hit for not making promises.

"OK fine, well, on an individual level, your form has been good."

"WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU. NO IT HASN'T."

"Oh, ok uhhh well I'm glad to know you have another level even you can reach."

"IM ANGRY AND I CANT LET THIS GO"

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
Playing in Norway is rough. None of the top top Norwegian players want to play in the domestic league, so they're off the table. You can only register 9 non-Norwegians, so you really have to get those guys right. The instant you have a 18-20 year old who breaks out, the big clubs come calling, and since you're in Norway, they just spam you with $7m offers for $25m players until they get unsettled and demand to leave.

Oh yeah, and since you play through the summer, other leagues' transfer window opens up in the literal back half of your season, meaning your best players leave with 10 games left in your regular season.

Best I've done is a couple of UCL quarterfinals. I got close last time, beat Spurs 1-0 away but lost 2-0 at home. I don't know if I'm good enough at this game to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
God dammit, I finally got my Norwegian team to the UCL finals (past prem leading Arsenal, Real Madrid somehow and Villareal in the semis) only to get cock blocked by Man City in the finals. Just couldn't figure out how to break down their defense. We actually played well, lost xG 1.2-0.8, had 48 percent possession. Thought we had an equalizer in the 89th minute but it was ruled offsides.

The guy who scored for Man City was a regen winger they bought for $291 million from PSG. Tough to compete with that, that's like 7 years of my squad's entire salary.