Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Never gotten the beta before, I assume that if i start a game in it I can just continue it in the full release next week, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Fat Lowtax posted:

I still can't get over how ugly the managers look. I know FM is supposed to be playable on a huge range of machines (and that's good), but man

Can you go and look at your manager in the game? I created a really ugly one, but can't find him other than the face showing up.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I've had trouble getting work permits in 2017. I have 3 players who are out on loan until I can get one. I tried for one of them earlier and got one, so I decided to try for another one. Every time I click on Apply For Work Permit, I get a message saying when the decision will be made, but then nothing happens. I don't get any message about it and can apply again. Anyone else had this? Should I just keep trying and it'll work eventually?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Shroud posted:

I think you usually have to wait a bit for the decision. I had one that took a week for the decision to be made.

No, it says the decision will be that day or the next, but then no message comes through. For the guy who got one, it was the same day.

edit: the game updated before I loaded it today, which I'm hoping means that's why the wp came through for one guy, though might just be coincidence.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

eleven extra elephants posted:

I'm at Juventus atm and the non EU player thing is loving me over. I'm sure it's bugged, it's not letting me register certain players even when I have slots available and even when the new season starts. Don't know if I'm completely misunderstanding the rule

It's cheating, but if you get the editor you can add nationalities to players. I did it after a hard Brexit in my last game. I understand signing young players was always going to be tough, but the way the game read it, I couldn't even sign the likes of Pique or Suarez when they were getting old as they hadn't played any recent internationals.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Slotducks posted:

Brexit just hosed me. Two up and coming stars were in contract renewals and they didn't get work permits.

If you get the editor, you can add secondary nationalities. It's cheating, but Brexit was a joke in my last save, couldn't sign anyone.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Slotducks posted:

I'm definitely going to. gently caress Miles. You're not stopping Eastleigh from getting promoted to the premier league.

Yeah, in my save it was impossible to sign anyone who wasn't playing regular internationals. I understand this with younger players, but stars who had retired from international football like Suarez couldn't get work permits for me.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Any place to get this with a discount? Is it on sale for like cybermondays? I have a string of flights coming up and I'd like to play

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/football-manager-2018-pc-steam-cd-key

€31

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

18.2 came out and now all my regens are black dudes except for the ones that have really bizarre disc beards, those are all white. Great job SI.

Most of mine have turned into Gianni Infantino.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've been really struggling not to buy a couple of distinctly average youth players because they've got great names, Malcolm Wooley-Bottomer and Liberal Castro

I signed an average regen called Milan Jovanovic for my Liverpool team, basically just because of that clip.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mans posted:

The AI can fail those? I honestly assumed those would be a player thing mostly.

in 18\19 they spent 170M above what they sold, 140M in 19\20, 110M in 20\21, 130M in 21\22 and 70M in 22\23 so maybe their finances ended up biting them in their asses? :iiam:

Yeah, AI can fail that.

I've been watching some really nerdy YouTube videos recently where a guy just edits stuff for fun and sims the game to see what happens. In one of them, he gave a non league team £1b and at one point, they won the League Cup, but weren't in Europe the next year.

Here's the channel if anyone's interested:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwoaMMnyGPRFZi9cStQKaig

Not super exciting, but interesting to see how the AI works in certain situations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

If he's still playing for Tel Aviv, Predrag Rajkovic. idk if his PA is super-high in 18 like it was in 17 or 16 but he's a good ...economical buy.

I've found him difficult to get a work permit for.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

eleven extra elephants posted:

United are like that mega unkillable boss from the FF online game in FM, their team just seems to be perfectly tailored to dominate for years into the game. I also find Pep gets sacked from City incredibly early every time I start new careers

I'm in 2026 and they've usually been my challengers, but the team is getting old and their finances fluctuate wildly from being broke for half the season then getting the PL/CL money. The wage bill is huge, too.

They're a couple of seasons of missing out on the CL (which looks likely this year) and they could be in financial trouble. It'll be interesting to see if there's a breaking point.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

been managing west ham for a few seasons and finally got a league title win. asked board to buy the stadium. they said no. i said please. they said okay. a few weeks later our bank balance goes from 40M to -1.2B :stare:

guys i didnt mean you to put it on the club debit card, wtf

How far into the future are you that they left the Olympic Stadium?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

it is the olympic stadium, i didn’t really expect them to buy it out tbh but i was curious if we could expand it

Ahh, sorry. Read it as "build" not "buy" the stadium. Seems like a terrible decision on behalf of the club, so right in keeping with how they're run in reality...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

NutShellBill posted:

I also love the challenge in starting off in the lowest of the low British leagues. (Weston super Mare and Bath are my poisons of choice.) And I beeline for the Canadian job, because I'm Canadian, and legit have an inkling of who is decent, and an undue sense of national pride.

My question to you is:

How do you get past the work permits? Without fail, I am always told they are being denied a work permit. I appeal, and still no go. I've even hired guys who playing in the Vanarama leagues the year before, only to have their permit expire, and have them sent back to their home country.

I don't know about this year, but in 2017 signing anyone from abroad post brexit was near impossible (I think the severity of the Brexit was somewhat random). Easy (albeit slightly cheating) way around it is to buy the editor and give the player English as a second nationality. Think it's around €5.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mrenda posted:

Are there any decent guides for messing around with the editor and saves? Even changing the priorities managers give to things? I'm guessing it's a black box that involves a whole load of dark magic, but I figured I'd take a look if I could.

I don't know, but for anyone interested this guy does some fun experiments on YouTube with the editor. He's created the perfect player, put a transfer ban on the top leagues and the like. They're fairly nerdy, but I've enjoyed some of them.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I wonder what would happen if it were more than 2 teams.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I've had a bug like that in an older version. You should be able to holiday to the next day.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

I think it's linked to completing coaching courses?

I had Peter Beardsley on my coaching staff a few years ago and he failed every coaching course he went on. The reasoning became clear years later...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

SirFozzie posted:

One thing that FM has over real life, is that when people try to force their way out, if you stand firm they usually give up.

For example, my star defender has handed in four transfer requests so far this period, because I have it set to auto-reject bids for him, but other teams keep trying (Set an asking price of 60 million, they're not even offering half that. Got tired of telling them to gently caress off). Every two days now he puts in a fresh transfer request, which I reject.

Yeah, usually they'll sulk until either you win something or the other team loses interest.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I got the message about Brexit happening "soon" and that details were to follow. It was a year or so in game time before they were confirmed, though there was to be no changes. First time I've gotten a soft Brexit.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

FM20 is going to be available on Google Stadia, where you can play it through your browser. No idea on cost, but it's an interesting idea. Think I'll stick with the regular one for now, but if it is a success, it could make a big difference.

The idea of having FM available at any time on my work computer is terrifying though...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Drone posted:

Been doing this (occasionally, on very slow days) for years via Google Remote Desktop.

I wouldn't recommend it if you want to be at all productive.

Fortunately, too many people can see my computer screen for me to get away with it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Bizarre question, but in TYOOL 2019 is there any way to get a legit copy of an old version of FM? I'm looking for 14 and would pay for it but it appears it's no longer possible.

Looks like it's on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-M...=gateway&sr=8-1

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thanks--I did see that but I see 'used' and my brain reads 'bootleg', is my brain wrong?

No idea, but there appears to be used and new options available.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Haha this owns.

If you haven't seen it, this is great:
https://www.shortlist.com/news/man-runs-football-manager-for-1000-years-and-sheffield-united-dominate

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

I'm assuming he only ran a few league on low detail or it'd never have got that far.

It says in the article that he was just running England as playable, which is why the national team did so well.

If you guys like that, you'd probably like this youtube channel if you haven't seen it already:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwoaMMnyGPRFZi9cStQKaig

Guy messes around with the editor to set up scenarios and lets them play out. Some of them are really engrossing.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

The resolution to my "underage future star throws a shitfit about the reserves" problem is that I just keep him on my first team unregistered for every competition and apparently he seems fine with that. What an odd game.

If he's underage, surely he doesn't have to be registered? Or is that just a PL rule?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

my favourite "WTF" coaching hire in all my years of playing FM is the time I saw AC Milan hire David Moyes in FM15

speaking of which, is Jose Mourinho still the GOAT world-beater of champions in 2020? I seem to recall in 18, at least, he had pretty much 20s in everything.

Arsenal sacked Pep Guardiola and replaced him with Michael O'Neill in my current FM19 game.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/nocontextfm1/status/1276295996855726080

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

XBenedict posted:

They finally realize that Watford wasn't paying off for them?

I guess they wanted someone in the Premier League.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mrenda posted:

Cork City are being shown as in the Irish Premier Division for 21. They've actually been relegated (and Drogheda promoted.) It's been reported on the SI forums and will supposedly be fixed for the final data. I was just looking forward to bringing my home town back to "glory."

Didn't the league only finish on Monday, though? Can't really expect it to be that up to date.

Also, gently caress Drogheda.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mrenda posted:

Cork have been mathematically relegated for a few weeks now, and Drogheda promoted (I believe.) I don't pay much attention to the LOI outside of FM, but these changes could have been put in. I don't know if the playoffs from promotion/relegation will be played in time, but the head researcher said the Cork/Drogheda swap will be in the final data release.

This isn't a big gently caress You FM! whinge, just me saying I'd like to have played my return-cork-to-glory save straight away, but I'll just manage Sheffield Wednesday until launch day.

Ohh yeah, I knew you weren't whinging! My point is if the league isn't over, they can't really implement any of the repercussions. It would be odd to have teams relegated or promoted correctly, but not have say, the European places correct.

Anyway, gently caress Drogheda...

edit: What happened with Cork? They won the league recently and seem to have gotten to the cup final in each of the last 5 or 6 years, discounting last year.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

drat, that looks Irish.

Not with that many fans in the ground...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Hmm...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

What's a good site for skins?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Thanks.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Masonity posted:

Under 18s haven't moved internationally in a few versions, brexit aside.

They could within the EU pre Brexit and until this year, I think the severity of the rules was random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Masonity posted:

I'm pretty sure that for the last few versions they haven't been able to. I'm a youth horder and European players joining the window after they turn 18 is a long running pain in my rear end.

If I recall correctly, you would get a message about Brexit that would range from "everything staying the same" to "you can't sign anyone" because they didn't know how it would work.

One save I had (a few years ago) made it impossible to sign players that weren't internationals in their prime. I remember scouting some old players whose contracts were running down (big name players like Pique) but because they had retired from international, they wouldn't get a work permit.