Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

pasaluki posted:

Yeah Nick should have been like "I don't know who 'Eve' is but Juliet is under arrest for attempted murder, arson, and [insert crimes here]."

Instead Nick is just like "welp shucks she's callin herself Eve now"

Best part of episode is Monroe's incredulous expression at hearing this. Since he's been rendered inert as a character, the best Monroe scenes are his actor reacting to whatever nonsensical plot points are being thrown at him.

Even assuming Nick would be able to cuff Eve and get her out of the underground bunker they were in, and also keep her from using her vast power to escape/kill him and everyone who tried to help him, that would be a tricky list of charges to prove in court.

I'm loving Rosalee's reactions even more. The way she handles every new piece of information is the only hope I have the writers realize how insane this whole storyline is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Plot twist: Rosalee is just supposed to mutely accept the craziness; it's Bree Turner giving the directors 'WTF IS THIS poo poo?!?' expressions out of sheer disbelief.

Anyhoo, didn't watch; did they kill off MarySue McSerialRapist yet?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Liked it, liked it! No Adalind so there is a plus. Badass Trouble, also fun. Munrosalee adorableness out the wazoo. I really, really loved Munroe's offer to deal with whatever is plaguing Rosalee. Genuine offer in all good intention, not a condescending one. I like that Rosalee has a flaw of putting her head on the sand, its very human. Eve is OK and I like the carefully controlled killer. The back story is nonsense but I like how she is so far.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Like how in love with someone does one have to be for one to forget the killing of your mothers?

I mean for both Adelind and Juliet, who both had hands in killing Nick's mothers?

But really, did Nick forget his mom in a box? Wth.

I knew the keys were going nowhere early season 2, but head box was like 4 episodes ago.

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 7, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Over/under on haw many episodes before Nick's mom's grave is desecrated?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Femur posted:

Like how in love with someone does one have to be for one to forget the killing of your mothers?

I mean for both Adelind and Juliet, who both had hands in killing Nick's mothers?

But really, did Nick forget his mom in a box? Wth.

I knew the keys were going nowhere early season 2, but head box was like 4 episodes ago.

To be fair he really didn't know his mom.

Forgiving the attempted murder of his aunt on the other hand...

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
I just keep waiting for Nick's inevitable mental breakdown because he can't possibly be sane right? right? but no he's still playing house with Adalind and taking this Eve nonsense in his stride because war is brewing or something.
It would have been semi-decent writing for him to *finally* break at the sight of his mother's grave: tell Trouble that she's been brainwashed and Hadrians Wall can pay her if they really want her Grimm services, cart her off whilst telling Juliet to go screw herself with her lastest mindfuck. Get home, kick out Adalind, "no hexenbiests looking after my child, thankyou very much. It's just a matter of time before you go back to your crazy ways if you think about it and you can have supervised visitation on weekends so you don't go nuclear like with the first child." then spends the next few months looking after the kid and doing normal grimm-cop stuff. He'll join the war effort when the time comes nearer, for now he's got a baby to raise, he's not going to be like his mother and put the cause first.
I mean that IS the Nick they first introduced us to.
You think there's the slightest chance his friends are going to take him aside and tell him to kick the rapey witch out? or is this show done with any kind of consistency?
What's next, Rosalee falls for a sexy new guy who awakens her wild side? Wu is working for Black Claw? Nick has an evil twin?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tessiebee posted:

Liked it, liked it! No Adalind so there is a plus. Badass Trouble, also fun. Munrosalee adorableness out the wazoo. I really, really loved Munroe's offer to deal with whatever is plaguing Rosalee. Genuine offer in all good intention, not a condescending one. I like that Rosalee has a flaw of putting her head on the sand, its very human. Eve is OK and I like the carefully controlled killer. The back story is nonsense but I like how she is so far.

Trouble, Monroe and Rosalee honestly need to be group-recast to better shows. They're all too good for some of this poo poo. I think Rosalee's legitimately the best actress of the bunch, she needs to do actual movies more. Trouble's actress on the other hand is handling the action persona very well; she'd fit right in with some Marvel Netflix shows or something.

That said, the last couple episodes were a good step up, other than the loving Adalind bullshit. I'm not even one of those over-sensitive nuts who gets pissed about this stuff usually; I even shrugged past the hilariously inept accidental rape scene in GoT, but Goddamn man. With lines like "Somehow I can't help but wonder if you think that should be Juliet's baby," leading to them making out instead of him going "gently caress yes I do, you loving psycho" makes my head want to explode.

ED: All this "Council was destroyed" thing makes me wonder what the gently caress the power-order is in their mixed up mythology.. the Royals apparently were destroyed but the council was not? I thought they were somehow tied? Are they destroyed? What the gently caress is going on?

Also I thought that the guy who killed the council was going to leap up and use a bomb. Are you telling me this supposedly scary powerful organization didn't even have a loving security guard? Watching him murder EVERYONE with dual uzis was hilarious. He might have killed the head guy before dying, tops. Yet another recurring character that went nowhere, and went out with a wet fart - but at least they showed it instead of just saying it happened later.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 9, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The spinoff would be a sitcom "The Truble with Vessen"

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Nick is probably just so dumb, and so inept at being a bad-rear end or even just reacting to all the bad poo poo that happens to him that we get the whole concept for the show: he's a nice Grimm!

I'm embarrassed that I still watch this show :ohdear:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm avoiding it until I hear through the grapevine that Adalind dies and/or season 3 on has been a prolonged dream sequence after Nick got hit on the head during a fight.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It seemed like whatshisface (the Resistance guy who delivered Adalind's baby) still has feelings for her via retrospective flashback, so there is hope he runs off with her, neither never to be seen again.

That is what I am hoping for, anyway.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Azhais posted:

:golfclap:

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Azhais posted:

this is why we need a like button. :)

throw in that wacky neighbour Bud and you got yourself a show. 8-)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Okay that scene was legitimately creepifying!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Why are they using the worst wigs on the planet?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So morons don't get confused.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Is there anything less threatening then this wessen uprising thing?

A roomful of their most powerful members just got wiped out from 2 guns, how is their dumb global takeover gonna even work.?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
lol, I can't wait until the Juliet floating pushups gif comes out. Looked real loving stupid.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Looks like they're finally pulling the trigger on the keys. I really doubt this is what they were planning at the beginning but hopefully it'll at least be fun.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so I guess putting the map together was more important than finding out Trubel's origins. Also after finally catching up with this season I am...not sure how to take everything involving Adalind, even my parents were shaking their heads in disbelief that everything was just "ok" with her given everything she has done since the show started. If she just disappears for the rest of the season and Nick just kills people with Eve and Trubel, I will consider it a plus

Khorne
May 1, 2002

pentyne posted:

Looks like they're finally pulling the trigger on the keys. I really doubt this is what they were planning at the beginning but hopefully it'll at least be fun.
They're taking the hobbits taking the hobbits taking the hobbits to isengard.

They're going on a magical journey to the black forest which I fully expect to look just like Portland's forests in the show.

The real problem with Grimm's writing is that main plot arcs should look but not touch things that are supposed to be obscenely powerful and ingrained. The captain should still be a super bad rear end/whatever, instead they invalidated him. The resistance, okay invalidating this one was perhaps okay. The royals, completely dispelled. Vessen council, destroyed. And for what? The main character has not actually developed at all. He is no stronger, arguably he is weaker, than he was seasons ago. The cast should be pieces that occasionally interact with those things on the board, and when they aren't the focus or part of some plot they should just be kind of ignored. Instead if the cast touches them they get blown to bits somehow without the cast itself really being involved in a meaningful way.

It's so bizarre how the writing destroys the world around the cast while they mostly maintain an increasingly telephone-gamed status quota that loses detail by the week. It's also odd how they can't decide if they are doing monster of the week slowly pushing forward a larger plot, detached monster of the week, or solely plot focused episodes. To some extent they have even destroyed the monster of the week concept by having literally everyone in on it. It reminds of everyone being a super hero in Arrow now completely removing a dynamic aspect of the show.

The Adalind stuff doesn't even bother me. How poorly they've treated the setting and lore they established for the show does. The complete lack of character development, and in some cases somehow even undeveloping characters, bothers me as well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 20, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Azhais posted:

When can I set a season pass for this

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Trubel: "What about my past?"

Monroe: "HEY LOOK GUYS A KEY"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol they were like "oh poo poo we're way behind on introducing keys"

"Just have him find three keys."

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, is this show actually worth seeing?
I've been hearing about Buffy comparisons in a good way on places like AVClub and the ratings seem to be generally favorable too, along with it having decent ratings on IMDB.

I tried watching it like 5 years ago and stopped after like 4 episodes with how dull and generic it was, the actors didn't have any charm or anything to them.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
When it's good, it's REALLY good. But when it's bad, it stinks like a garbage fire.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

So, is this show actually worth seeing?
I've been hearing about Buffy comparisons in a good way on places like AVClub and the ratings seem to be generally favorable too, along with it having decent ratings on IMDB.

I tried watching it like 5 years ago and stopped after like 4 episodes with how dull and generic it was, the actors didn't have any charm or anything to them.

It hasn't gotten any better in 5 years I'll tell you that much. At this point my wife and I are watching it for the episode that will let us finally quit. I have to say though season five surprised us by being a huge improvement on season four. They've restored enough of the police procedural roots that it's worth sitting through the lore portions.

I continue to be frustrated by the forced romance between Adalind and Nick, though. His comment that "she's turned out to be a surprisingly good mother" was especially hilarious in light of the fact she still has no idea where the daughter she tried to sell into sex slavery went.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Applewhite posted:

It hasn't gotten any better in 5 years I'll tell you that much. At this point my wife and I are watching it for the episode that will let us finally quit. I have to say though season five surprised us by being a huge improvement on season four. They've restored enough of the police procedural roots that it's worth sitting through the lore portions.

I continue to be frustrated by the forced romance between Adalind and Nick, though. His comment that "she's turned out to be a surprisingly good mother" was especially hilarious in light of the fact she still has no idea where the daughter she tried to sell into sex slavery went.

Yikes, I was afraid it'd still be mostly police procedural.
Can't stand that stuff myself.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

Yikes, I was afraid it'd still be mostly police procedural.
Can't stand that stuff myself.

Well without the police procedural element all you have left is a furry soap opera.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welp, guess I'll pass then.

Thanks for the replies.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Welp, guess I'll pass then.

Thanks for the replies.

Have you tried supernatural?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SpannerX posted:

Have you tried supernatural?

Yeah, I gave up after season 8.
They squandered the Men of Letters stuff so badly, they could've really had something awesome there.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

They squandered the Men of Letters stuff so badly, they could've really had something awesome there.

This season has been great so far, actually, but that's for another thread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It would make sense that a European Grimm had a shitload of keys and was the keeper of Grimms because all the lore/legacy/history is based in Europe and whats going on in Portland is just a very minor offshoot of the culture (despite literally every Grimm species ever showing up eventually at a disgraced Royal being a police captain)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

so I guess putting the map together was more important than finding out Trubel's origins. Also after finally catching up with this season I am...not sure how to take everything involving Adalind, even my parents were shaking their heads in disbelief that everything was just "ok" with her given everything she has done since the show started. If she just disappears for the rest of the season and Nick just kills people with Eve and Trubel, I will consider it a plus

"I never expected her to be such a great mother!"

- Has Rape Baby as part of convoluted plan to find her original baby
- Gets close to finding her original baby and knows Meisner has her (probably still does)
- Gives no fucks
- Finds Meisner, still gives no fucks
- Forgets she ever had another child

Mother of the year, 2016

SpannerX posted:

This season has been great so far, actually, but that's for another thread.

As someone who binge watched the early show and is now on the current pain that is the show now, I will say this season "is an improvement over the last couple lovely seasons but that's a bar so low you could just walk over it." A handful of good moments surrounded in stupidity like absolutely refusing to acknowledge or help their other brother even when like 100 feet away that just make it unbearable on top of the utter joke heaven/hell turned into. Both angels and demons went from being powerful titans of power to "we'd get slaughtered by Stormtroopers."

Anyone thinking of checking out that show, watch until the end of season 5 and consider that the end. Maybe watch the evil corporation Pentex season. That is unless you're a "ride this train wreck to the bitter end" kind of viewer, be prepared for a xerox of xerox of a xerox from where the thing started.

But you are right, for another thread.

Deakul posted:

But they have a bunker that they never really do anything with! And.. and.. did I mention they have a bunker?

Oh yeah, one last thing before this de-rail ends: After season 6 or so the show became terrified of having a supporting cast. They write them all out, usually killing them; entities that are on good terms with them, their associates, the entire concept a hunter subculture, any ally they ever touch, etc. All the problems that these allies helped them with (Faking their FBI status, giving them a place to go, etc) were just erased from the writing room when said allies were knocked out.

The show seems to think it should be around the two leads, a third guy who SHOULD be a lead but they barely let into 1/4 episodes and what should be a horrifying villain that's actually just comedy relief. And nobody else. Anyone else will die with only one exception at the moment. The worst part? The supporting cast is largely what made the show good and there's only so much secret keeping and bitching you can watch two people do strapped into a car without really wishing they had somebody to loving cut to.

At least they've been a little better dropping seeeeeecretss which is why I said this season is more bearable but, just drat. That show is screaming at full speed off the rails and has been for 4-5 years.

ED: To put this back into a Grimm context, picture if after this season they write out and kill off EVERY supporting character including the likable and important ones like Monroe, Woo and the whole works and then made 5 more seasons where the entire regular cast consisted of Nick and Hank, then make them spend most of the seasons hiding things from each other and bitching. There, you have Grimm: Supernatural Edition.

Deakul posted:

Monroe and Rosalee's actors both need better projects, and the woman who plays Trubel would make an ideal action star for a Marvel project or something.

They're all too good for this poo poo, really.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 23, 2016

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Honestly, I would throw Renard in that category as well.

When he's allowed to act, he does good work, and it's kind of fun having a vessen prince that has to straddle the line between the vessen, royals and the real world.

and Bud and Wu are pretty good when they are allowed to do anything (Bud's filterbuster stole the show last season).

Heck one of the best things is the chemistry between cast members.

Honestly, Nick and Hank are the weakest part of the cast and even they improved a lot over time.

The big problem is the writers have no idea how to write a story.

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 23, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I really enjoyed this last episode. Great acting by Silas Weir Mitchell. :h: I didn't even really mind not-Juliette and Adalind.

I think the writers are hinting toward how a hexenbiest's nature totally wipes out the "real" person you are. We see it happening to Juliette (now Eve), who has a horrific transition because she became a hexenbiest at such an old age. Adalind has always been one or was turned very young, so we see it happening in reverse for her (ok this doesn't take into account how she became normal once before and then did everything she could to become a hexenbiest again).

Additionally, her having some sort of disconnect with her first child might be spun to make sense because her daughter is part of the hexenbiest side of her, which Adalind has been disconnected from.

Granted, that's probably not what the writers are trying to do? But it might be.

Anyway, I want more like the last episode, and wish they'd give the captain more to do than work on some vague mayoral race for his friend. Give us some more to tie it in with Black Claw (leadership turnover) or just stop all together.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

hollylolly posted:

and wish they'd give the captain more to do than work on some vague mayoral race for his friend.
Yeah, how the hell does that fit in with the Wesen uprising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

spookygonk posted:

Yeah, how the hell does that fit in with the Wesen uprising?

Probably his friend will turn out to be a Black Claw member. But really, who knows. Maybe a wesen will eat the guy on live television - that seems to be where the Black Claw thing is heading as they no longer want to hide.

• Locked thread