Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I grew up with a Genesis and missed out on a ton of awesome SNES games. After binging on Bloodborne and MGS5 for the last three months I decided I wanted to relax with something lighter. Ill be playing:

Super Metroid (PC)
Metroid Prime 1-3 (WII Trilogy)
Metroid Fusion
Zero Mission

Ive only read terrible things about Other M so I probably wont play that

I played NES Metroid once so I sort of know what im doing but ive never touched any of the other games. Im like an hour into SMetroid. I just beat the second(?) boss, the hangy plant thing that shoots spores & got the super missile. I dont really know where to go now. I found a spooky dragon statue and some floors that i cant cross without dropping through. Im not gonna look at any guides so we'll see how it goes...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Theyre good games

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I won't say anything else, but please look at the controls in the main menu of super metroid.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

I won't say anything else, but please look at the controls in the main menu of super metroid.

lol

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

elf help book posted:

Theyre good games

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

elf help book posted:

Theyre good games

I really liked the castlevania games I've played and I don't know why it took me so long to get around to this

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm playing on a keyboard so it's really awkward shooting at angles

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Isn't there a mod that changes the diagonal shots to the GBA games control style? It might also do autorun or something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

youre in for a ride, OP. its good that youre playing SM first too

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you've made an incredibly good choice op

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I must be retarder because nowhere on the controls did it reference the sprint button. I just found it

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
something lighter lmfao these games arent a cakewalk and are kind of dark and atmospheric but its a drat good series

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

I must be retarder because nowhere on the controls did it reference the sprint button. I just found it

;)

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 30, 2015

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe i missed it. I crossed
The crumbling blocks and now I'm in some sort of underwater area

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

please get a controller to play super metroid on, it's so much better

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Well, I can't wait any longer. Tonight is the night for my annual super metroid playthrough.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Got the high jump boots. There are some hellish rooms down here that eat my health so I'm gonna go back and explore the beginning areas for new stuff.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching someone experience Super metroid for the first time is gonna be aces

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Benny D posted:

I can't believe i missed it. I crossed
The crumbling blocks and now I'm in some sort of underwater area

Hmmm. This must be the water zone, Maridia.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Some good games on your plate OP.. enjoy

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently o can't get back out until I get a new item or find a new route. My only options are a room that eats my health too fast for me to get through or a hallway with doors that close really fast. There's a tunnel below and one up top with a monster in it but I'm bombing everything and can't find a way in.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I looked up Metroid Fusion's release date and wound up stuck on the Wiki for the franchise and did you know that by number of games, Metroid is more of a 3D series than a 2D one?

that's fuckin' silly

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

After a ton of backtracking & bombing literally everything I found a "spazer" and a big monster that gave me a new space suit. The music in this game
Is sick

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

Apparently o can't get back out until I get a new item or find a new route. My only options are a room that eats my health too fast for me to get through or a hallway with doors that close really fast. There's a tunnel below and one up top with a monster in it but I'm bombing everything and can't find a way in.

i got stuck at that part too my first time :)

if you want a hint, go to the very tall orange room and try getting to the bottom. to the right there'll be a big room where you need the super jump to reach something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

After a ton of backtracking & bombing literally everything I found a "spazer" and a big monster that gave me a new space suit. The music in this game
Is sick

beaten. i was stuck at pre-kraid forever

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
That feel when you get the quick kill on Kraid.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Benny D posted:

Is sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNM1P0sARc

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

That feel when you get the quick kill on Kraid.

I barely missed it this time. Currently in lower norfair.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this reminds me: RIP widestancer

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

this reminds me: RIP widestancer

in memory of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUqMJf9JNc

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rip to queen of impzone

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
you're gonna have a great time op, i'm jealous. i have yet to play the prime trilogy because my wii is on the other side of the country. please continue to give us updates so that i might enjoy them vicariously through you

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I've made a lot of progress & went back for upgrades. Finding the little monsters that teach you the special
Moves is sick

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Keyboard controls were fine until igot the grapple beam. It's a pain to chain together swings.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

Keyboard controls were fine until igot the grapple beam. It's a pain to chain together swings.
Get a controller that'll work with your emulator.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
don't be stupid like me and use a 360 controller unless you never want to wall jump consistently ever again

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this would be cool if it has shoulder buttons. alas it does not

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Velthice posted:

this would be cool if it has shoulder buttons. alas it does not

the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Velthice posted:

don't be stupid like me and use a 360 controller unless you never want to wall jump consistently ever again

i test controllers with walljumps

• Locked thread