Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, it's got problems but also has some really good boss fights. Yakuza owns
hell yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2b3EYFAXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
yeah i know there was one point in fusion where i had to look up how to proceed, since it required just bombing a random square and up to that point theres no reason to even try anything they dont make 100% obvious

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im replaying super metroid on my wiiu after not playing it since i was a child and folks. its even better than i remembered it

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm going to buy and play super metroid tomorrow for the first time

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Average Bear posted:

hell yeah

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

this now makes 2 things this year i never knew existed until i beat the games again recently. theres a hammer suit in mario 3 and super metroid has xray vision

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Gamer Hell Yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

this now makes 2 things this year i never knew existed until i beat the games again recently. theres a hammer suit in mario 3 and super metroid has xray vision

It's completely pointless except for a cool unintentional bug where you shoot a charge beam at the final boss and then spam XRay button which keep pausing and unpausing the game state and your charge beam will never go away and it will keep hitting the boss so you can kill it in one shot

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

It's completely pointless except for a cool unintentional bug where you shoot a charge beam at the final boss and then spam XRay button which keep pausing and unpausing the game state and your charge beam will never go away and it will keep hitting the boss so you can kill it in one shot

you can use the xray scope to glitch through the statue floor into tourian too. i dunno how it works but i watched a guy do it for like ten minutes with samus going further down the screen each time he activated it

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Im going to play Super Metroid on my SNES tonight.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Can't believe I've never seen this

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

similar to the murder beam is the space-time beam which resets all the pickups in the game but you keep the ones you've picked up, so you can use it to have more than the max number of missiles, power bombs and e-tanks and fight the early bosses while extremely overpowered. some of them go crazy when you use plasma on them lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The beam glitches in SM are hosed up. I've always wondered why they act the way they do

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

The beam glitches in SM are hosed up. I've always wondered why they act the way they do
same reason behind missingno. etc. in pokemon blue - there's no clear denotation of different "files" in old cartridge games, everything's typically one big hunk of data, and error checking might take up too much memory. glitching out the beam select basically makes it look at some random piece of data out in the middle of nowhere when it tries to figure out what that beam combination should do (charge + ice = spawn ice bolts. charge + wave = spawn wave bolts. charge + EVERYTHING = spawn Y#)ty#_v_q). that these glitch combos do something vaguely cool and not just hardlock the game is a wonderful bit of luck

:eng101:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Very cool.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Kins posted:

same reason behind missingno. etc. in pokemon blue - there's no clear denotation of different "files" in old cartridge games, everything's typically one big hunk of data, and error checking might take up too much memory. glitching out the beam select basically makes it look at some random piece of data out in the middle of nowhere when it tries to figure out what that beam combination should do (charge + ice = spawn ice bolts. charge + wave = spawn wave bolts. charge + EVERYTHING = spawn Y#)ty#_v_q). that these glitch combos do something vaguely cool and not just hardlock the game is a wonderful bit of luck

legit thank you

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I like games that are the good kind of glitchy, as opposed to open world games that lock you out of quests or make you go back and repeat hours of gameplay because it locked up

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ralp posted:

they deliberately removed it, as well as wall-jumping up a single wall. They apparently realized afterwards how stupid that was since they put them both back into ZM and made them even easier than SM. I sort of understand what someone said a while back about two separate timelines(??) splitting off after Fusion, one where they fix seriously every single Fusion flaw and make Zero Mission, and one where instead they double down on all the Fusion horseshit and make Other M.
if they could continue making open-ended stuff like ZM but where samus actually acted like a bounty hunter it'd be my dream game

too bad thatll never happen!!!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I just started Zero Mission, I've had the cart for a long time but never played it til today. Fusion was my first ever Metroid game but I've beaten the NES one and Super metroid now too. If I had played the NES one first I maybe wouldn't have tried any others

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Kins posted:

how did any of these games ever work at all

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried to play super metroid on a SNES emulator on my laptop and I went through a door into a room with a laser field on the ground but none of my buttons did anything, nor did shooting it. Anyway then I went back and the door I came through was locked. I am the worst gamer alive and have 0:02 of saved play time on my save file.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

how did any of these games ever work at all
the programmers on these old snes games (especially the really complex ones like super metroid and starfox) were really really good at working with low-level assembly poo poo, but a lot of the methodology (for lack of better wording) was still kind of "loose", leading to things like the pokemon developers adding mew to the space that was left over after they removed their debugging tools from the game code (or super metroid leaving a debug cheat in the game, accessible without a cheat cartridge!)

here's a 1994 interview with the dev team about sleeping in the break room, lewd samus and making the bosses too cute by accident

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

if they could continue making open-ended stuff like ZM but where samus actually acted like a bounty hunter it'd be my dream game

too bad thatll never happen!!!

Samus has been described as one since forever but it turns out the creator didn't even know what a bounty hunter was, until Retro wanted to add bounties and hunting thereof to Prime 3 and Nintendo wouldn't let them. evidently he just heard boba fett called that in star wars and thought it sounded cool :cripes:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ralp posted:

Samus has been described as one since forever but it turns out the creator didn't even know what a bounty hunter was, until Retro wanted to add bounties and hunting thereof to Prime 3 and Nintendo wouldn't let them. evidently he just heard boba fett called that in star wars and thought it sounded cool :cripes:
thats insanely nintendo. I love it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samus and Ridley shaking hands in the hospital.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
nevermind i'm just bad at video games

Afro fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 5, 2015

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I have metroid prime series up next and already have the first one for gamecube. But ill be playing it on wii. they made wii versions of these too right? Whats the difference and whats th best version to play?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Wii versions came as a three-pack of all the prime games and can be a little hard to find for reasonable prices these days. They're downloadable on WiiU for $20.

They all have motion controls on the Wii using the remote as a pointer to aim and shoot. It works really well but I know some people prefer the controller on the Gamecube better.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The wii versions are better as long as soon as you get used to the controls.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Hmm i personally hate the motion controls in everything ive tried. i think I'll stick to the gamecube ones

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

shadow complex is free on PC now. ive never played it but a lot of people have told me it's a good metroid fix

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its ok but metroid is a high bar to clear

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

its ok but metroid is a high bar to clear

yeah, idk. ill just have to play it. ive seen people here swear up and down that guacamelee is the worst game theyve ever played and its my favorite not-metroid game in the genre

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i hated guacamelee

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

i hated guacamelee

goondolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
shadow complex came out when there were like no metroid-like games happening. at least not like now. i loved it when i played it at release but i tried it again a couple years later and was rly bored. the beginning may just be too slow for me though especially when youre used to being endgame god.

• Locked thread