Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Velthice posted:

this would be cool if it has shoulder buttons. alas it does not

that looks like a pile of crap imo. the number 1 super metroid controller is the SNES controller of course, but the wii u pro is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Velthice posted:

this would be cool if it has shoulder buttons. alas it does not

http://www.8bitdo.com/

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

https://youtu.be/_aRH4YRyRn4?t=18s

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Retrolink-Super-Classic-Controller-NES/dp/B002824SNS
i use this and its pretty cheap and works really well

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what's wrong with the 360 controller for SM??

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what's wrong with the 360 controller for SM??

the analog stick and dpad are in the wrong places im sure youve seen the extremely gay pictures of the hands holding a ds3 controller and a 360 controller showing how the thumb goes to the analog stick way better on the 360 than it does the ds3
well the opposite is true for the dpad which is more precise for 2d games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

starbarry clock posted:

the analog stick and dpad are in the wrong places im sure youve seen the extremely gay pictures of the hands holding a ds3 controller and a 360 controller showing how the thumb goes to the analog stick way better on the 360 than it does the ds3
well the opposite is true for the dpad which is more precise for 2d games

Yeah that makes sense, I got a 360 PC controller recently and really like it but the d-pad is insanely poo poo. I still have my DS3 thankfully

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The xbone controller is high tier. The vita is surprisingly good at walljumping, but my favorite controller is still this piece of poo poo $20 PowerA controller I got from Walmart years and years ago that doesnt even work anymore.

actual content: http://www.begrimed.com/pb.php try this, friends. it is good. get the original palette one. that didnt' exist last time i played, whoa

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Velthice posted:

don't be stupid like me and use a 360 controller unless you never want to wall jump consistently ever again

i beat the game once with a 360 controller, never again

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I have a Super Metroid cartridge, so I just use my SNES controller to play it :D

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

rediscover posted:

I have a Super Metroid cartridge, so I just use my SNES controller to play it :D

me too now :D

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
my roommate went through super metroid on a iphone 4s and i dont know how he could bear it, i couldnt even stand playing rpgs on a phone

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Goat posted:

my roommate went through super metroid on a iphone 4s

:whitewater:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frank.club posted:

you've made an incredibly good choice op

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I found a spooooky ghost ship. I killed big thing that was either a squid or a ghost or maybe a ghost squid, then the power came on. This is so much fun

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
congratulations on destroying phantoon with seemingly no problems at all, which is impressive.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realized I've never played super metroid except with a keyboard. :( I didn't even know about the game until my friend got me into it around the time Fusion came out.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Well ralp you owe it to your self to play it on a good controller.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

I found a spooooky ghost ship. I killed big thing that was either a squid or a ghost or maybe a ghost squid, then the power came on. This is so much fun

Exploring Zebes is epic.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Benny D posted:

That was Phantoon, who has the hilarious capability of disregarding invulnerability frames and owning speedrunners who have hundreds of hours in the game.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Phantoon is a cool boss with a cool name and I agree is a ghost squid.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

rediscover posted:

congratulations on destroying phantoon with seemingly no problems at all, which is impressive.

I have six energy tanks & two reserves & all the cool blaster upgrades soar far. I had a lot more trouble with that mini boss you have to pushback onto the breakable blocks

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
That feel when a run crashes and burns at phantom during a race

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phantoon should be a Halloween Splatoon boss

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Benny D posted:

I have six energy tanks & two reserves & all the cool blaster upgrades soar far. I had a lot more trouble with that mini boss you have to pushback onto the breakable blocks

If you get the last beam and hit Crocomire in the mouth with it, he goes apeshit and slams you into the spike wall and never stops.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1 are two of the best games ever made OP. Enjoy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Well, I can't wait any longer. Tonight is the night for my annual super metroid playthrough.

I play through MP1 once a year. I kinda wanna pick up a GameCube instead of running the trilogy version again

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

If you get the last beam and hit Crocomire in the mouth with it, he goes apeshit and slams you into the spike wall and never stops.

I ran out of missiles and used a power bomb and this happened, pretty brutal

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Did metroid come before Castlevania? I know games were pretty limited in what they could do back then so it's not surprising to have so many side scrollers with a similar feel but those two games definitely share a lot of mechanics & even abilities. The first time I power jumped I thought of alucard in symphony of the night

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

I ran out of missiles and used a power bomb and this happened, pretty brutal

Do you have the charge beam?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah I was gonna say, I always just use charge beam on crocomire, I think charge beams push him back a lot more than missiles don't they

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

Did metroid come before Castlevania? I know games were pretty limited in what they could do back then so it's not surprising to have so many side scrollers with a similar feel but those two games definitely share a lot of mechanics & even abilities. The first time I power jumped I thought of alucard in symphony of the night
Metroid came out about a month earlier, but there's a reason they call it the Metroidvania genre.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the 360 controller is fine and a huge upgrade from a keyboard lol

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

the 360 controller is fine and a huge upgrade from a keyboard lol

if you use wasd and use the numpad for buttons the keyboard gets a lot better

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i personally set it to

X shoot
A jump
R run
L angle up (you p much never have to angle down)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
the keyboard is probably more precise when you get used to it but it's just so much better to play on a good controller

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Doctor Goat posted:

if you use wasd and use the numpad for buttons the keyboard gets a lot better

i had to do this with soul reaver

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Are those 8bitdo pads any good wrt build quality/buttons/d pad? The NES pro one looks sick

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i have the fc30 and its really good, i played all of shovel knight with it and a bunch of nes games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
this color scheme on this big arcade stick is something else

• Locked thread