Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

elf help book posted:

i have the fc30 and its really good, i played all of shovel knight with it and a bunch of nes games

them shits are slick as hell. i really want the super famicom one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any way I can make my ds3 or 4 work with zsnes? I'm not very computer wise these days

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

Is there any way I can make my ds3 or 4 work with zsnes? I'm not very computer wise these days

You can but the Sony controllers are harder to get working right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metroid came out about a month earlier, but there's a reason they call it the Metroidvania genre.

The first few castlevanias seem more arcadey than the earlier Metroid's though, except II but castlevania II sucks rear end.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i dont see the relation between pre-sotn castlevania and metroid

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Thanks for reminding me that I still have to play Shovel Knight!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i dont see the relation between pre-sotn castlevania and metroid

I think they get lumped together because super Metroid came out and then there was one 2d Metroid in the ensuing 20 years and castlevania picked up the slack

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hell, I've never played super metroid either. I'll try it tomorrow

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Benny D posted:

ds4 can be used with ds tool in a way that makes the pc think it's a xbox 360 controller, but from my experience you can just use the ds4 straight into emulators. Hell maybe even AAA games will work with the ds4 if they let you rebind the whole controller but I never tried (or saw a AAA game that let you rebind poo poo).

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

rediscover posted:

congratulations on destroying phantoon with seemingly no problems at all, which is impressive.

yeah lol, hes probably the roughest boss in the game short of ridley with barely any health tanks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

congratulations on destroying phantoon with seemingly no problems at all, which is impressive.

benny D is a natural. found kraid quickly and then blazed through a tough boss.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
h-he's gaming at a geometric rate!

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it's a must to have a good controller for retro games. please get the 8bitdo controllers, they are extremely good and easy to use.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why would you play (and ruin) Metroid with a keyboard?

You can hook a PS4 controller to your computer.
There exists SNES USB controllers for PC. http://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-S...+controller+usb
If you have a Wii, you could put a emulator on it, and play it with a Gamecube controller.
If you have a DS, you could put it a emulator on it, and play it with the DS controls.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

if you have a wii you should buy it on the store and play it with a Nintendo Classic Controller or a Wii U Pro Controller if you have a Wii U

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

it's a must to have a good controller for retro games. please get the 8bitdo controllers, they are extremely good and easy to use.

I've been looking for a PC controller forever, because the Xbox d pad is rank rear end. I'm going to buy one of these

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think any pad is better than a kb for this kind of game but beyond that its really dumb to argue over specific controllers. i mean i dont think the OP is doing crazy poo poo like mockballs anyway

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

i think any pad is better than a kb for this kind of game but beyond that its really dumb to argue over specific controllers. i mean i dont think the OP is doing crazy poo poo like mockballs anyway

word.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I've been looking for a PC controller forever, because the Xbox d pad is rank rear end. I'm going to buy one of these

I'm happy for you, enjoy. I hope I can get the dual analog stick one soon. I'd also like to add that getting a SNES usb converter is extremely win if you have a SNES controller. I got one from this dude and it rules, he also got other usb converters available: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well he should be

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Bolverkur posted:

if you have a wii you should buy it on the store and play it with a Nintendo Classic Controller or a Wii U Pro Controller if you have a Wii U

ive been waiting for zero mission on vc forever so i can replay it on a small screen but its only in europe and japan!! gently caress off nintendo!!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
mockballing is fun as heck

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

ive been waiting for zero mission on vc forever so i can replay it on a small screen but its only in europe and japan!! gently caress off nintendo!!

I'm tempted to pick up a lot of the castlevania GBA/DS games but I figured they'd be on sale during Halloween...whatever

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

In Training posted:

I'm tempted to pick up a lot of the castlevania GBA/DS games but I figured they'd be on sale during Halloween...whatever

You should definitely play Aria of Sorrow ASAP.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Aria is my second favorite Castlevania and the only reason I like Ecclesia more is because of how hard Ecclesia's bosses own.

Kill enemy to get its power is the best mechanic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Should clarify it would be replaying them all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think people didn't really like it as much as other but I remember really loving Dawn of Sorrow. Sealing bosses is kind of a weak gimmick but it felt cool to like, banish demons with a flourish

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

Aria is my second favorite Castlevania and the only reason I like Ecclesia more is because of how hard Ecclesia's bosses own.

Kill enemy to get its power is the best mechanic.

Hard mode Dracula = best boss of all time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

aria of sorrow is some ownage. im emulating the psx so i can finally play symphony, it will be my first time playing it :)

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

In Training posted:

I think people didn't really like it as much as other but I remember really loving Dawn of Sorrow. Sealing bosses is kind of a weak gimmick but it felt cool to like, banish demons with a flourish

I never played it but I really hated the change in art style. Keep Castlevania Gothic

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I never played it but I really hated the change in art style. Keep Castlevania Gothic

yea both dawn of sorrow and portrait of ruin (especially portrait of ruin) are marred by the generic anime art style. they're still castlevania and so they're still both good, but there's something really lame about fighting your way through a ton of cool enemies only to see a really boring anime dracula and anime death at the end.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
look at this awful poo poo

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i take back what i said, portrait of ruin isn't a good game. dawn of sorrow is still ok

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why would you play (and ruin) Metroid with a keyboard?

I'm not a controller snob and this was in 2003 anyway and I didn't then nor now play enough emulated games to bother. I didn't even think anything of it, but like right after my Metroid friend and I beat Zero Mission (before it was even released :hehe:) he found out I had just used a keyboard for that and Fusion and Super Metroid, and he freaked out. "HOW do you even wall jump?" uh I just press the keys "Ok but how the hell do you do a speed jump though??" I... press the keys? (I know it's called a shinespark but I think that word is dumb)

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Ralp posted:

I'm not a controller snob and this was in 2003 anyway and I didn't then nor now play enough emulated games to bother. I didn't even think anything of it, but like right after my Metroid friend and I beat Zero Mission (before it was even released :hehe:) he found out I had just used a keyboard for that and Fusion and Super Metroid, and he freaked out. "HOW do you even wall jump?" uh I just press the keys "Ok but how the hell do you do a speed jump though??" I... press the keys? (I know it's called a shinespark but I think that word is dumb)

it seems like a big pain in the rear end considering you'd be constantly holding a button to sprint

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SM64Guy posted:

it seems like a big pain in the rear end considering you'd be constantly holding a button to sprint

It's no more difficult to hold down a key than a controller button, which is to say, neither is difficult at all. I think I do S sprint D jump F shoot

I don't want to argue this though! A game controller is better because it is an interface device designed for controlling games, and a keyboard was designed for typing words. How much better, is just personal preference I think.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Sorry but kbm is for fps and map games only. I don't have a controller so I have 0 platformers or fighting games in my Steam account in accordance with the law

Oh yeag, amd third person games are mostly ok for kbm as well.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Ralp posted:

It's no more difficult to hold down a key than a controller button, which is to say, neither is difficult at all. I think I do S sprint D jump F shoot

I don't want to argue this though! A game controller is better because it is an interface device designed for controlling games, and a keyboard was designed for typing words. How much better, is just personal preference I think.

im not trying to argue i was just curious. i cant wrap my mind around using a keyboard for games with really precise movement like 2d games because i cant handle it, theyre perfectly fine controls for me when its just an fps or something

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i quit shovel knight like halfway through because none of my controllers worked except my 360 pad and the kb was giving me fits

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Portrait of Ruin is still very good despite the character portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Velthice posted:

look at this awful poo poo

regardless, death + dracula is a super cool boss fight. PoR is good, just not as good as Ecclesia.

• Locked thread