Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I won't say anything else, but please look at the controls in the main menu of super metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

I must be retarder because nowhere on the controls did it reference the sprint button. I just found it

;)

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 30, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Well, I can't wait any longer. Tonight is the night for my annual super metroid playthrough.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

That feel when you get the quick kill on Kraid.

I barely missed it this time. Currently in lower norfair.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

this reminds me: RIP widestancer

in memory of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUqMJf9JNc

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Velthice posted:

this would be cool if it has shoulder buttons. alas it does not

that looks like a pile of crap imo. the number 1 super metroid controller is the SNES controller of course, but the wii u pro is good too.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

I found a spooooky ghost ship. I killed big thing that was either a squid or a ghost or maybe a ghost squid, then the power came on. This is so much fun

Exploring Zebes is epic.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

I ran out of missiles and used a power bomb and this happened, pretty brutal

Do you have the charge beam?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

Aria is my second favorite Castlevania and the only reason I like Ecclesia more is because of how hard Ecclesia's bosses own.

Kill enemy to get its power is the best mechanic.

Hard mode Dracula = best boss of all time.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Velthice posted:

look at this awful poo poo

regardless, death + dracula is a super cool boss fight. PoR is good, just not as good as Ecclesia.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

He's super easy with the right charge combo iirc

You still have to aim them right, its harder than it looks. The charge combos have some weird rear end trajectories.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

warning: even though it's a classic castlevania game, circle of the moon is pretty bad.

I played CotM for the first time this year and enjoyed it a lot actually. It's the only SotN style game where the platforming is actually challenging at times. Plus getting a dash early on really helps. I don't like the final boss, though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Prime 2 is second only to Super for me. I love everything about it, especially the focus on awesome grueling boss battles. I think it's the pinnacle of the series in terms of boss fights. All of the main area bosses are incredible, and the final bosses are masterpieces.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

All 3 Primes have a ton of backtracking, and it only really bothers me in 3 because of the ship cutscenes. The Sky Temple key quest is exactly the same as the Artifact quest in 1, down to the fact that you can pick most of the keys/artifacts way before you need them. Hell, I enjoy both quests because they test your knowledge of the game world. Treasure hunting is fun.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My favorite part personally is her action scanning to open a light world portal near the end. It's awesome.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

I have the gravity suit, I think I missed the springball(?) I'm passed all the water I'm in the quicksand

The way to progress for you is one of the hardest things to figure out your first time imo. Have fun figuring out what to do!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's a very easy way to never get hit by Draygon, but I won't say anything until the OP has faced him.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That's the secret trick if you're incredibly good and is actually harder than fighting him normally. There's another way.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Good luck.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Samus, use your plasma beam.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I don't know how to ibj at all, but I don't need it for speedrunning. I'm good at prime bomb jumping though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Like the prime bomb jump tricks? Those are really hard to me, like skipping Chozo Ruins and tricking your way up the spider ball track tower.

Yeah, that kind of stuff. I just never had a reason to learn it for super metroid outside of romhacks that require it for some items so I never bothered.

Note to op: After you finish all of the nintendo made metroid games, there is a world full of great super metroid romhacks to explore.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

zen death robot posted:

For some reason I didn't like Prime 3 but I can't really remember why.

Samus, this is Aurora Unit 242...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm not a fan of mogenar on hypermode. All the other bosses are cool though, and the first phase of the final boss on hypermode might be the hardest thing in the prime series.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

frank.club posted:

b button with turbo assigned. One of the most shameful things I've ever done but that strafe is crazy

A turbo wii mote... wtf.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The final ds fight in prime 2 actually kicks major rear end and has awesome music.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The worst thing about the Prime Trilogy disc is the removal of Metroid Prime 1 and 2's title screen and title screen music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PE27tYaSco love this song

this one too, from prime 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b71Dddf-VhM

At least they're still the credits themes.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 9, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

frank.club posted:

I said it earlier but the part at 40 seconds in this video is on of the coolest scenes in gaming.

It was probably hard to get a perfect screw attack in the 3D games. It seemed like it was more intended for wall jumping than standard damage

Screw attack in Prime 2 was great for killing metroids, but I think the metroids were weird in Prime 3.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

I have a wii with super metroid VC somewhere, can I play it using a gamecube controller? Cause otherwise I only have a wiimote.

I've beaten the Metroid 1, 2, and Fusion. Fusion was an awesome game.

You can use the Gamecube controller to play Super Metroid on the Wii. The stick's kind of weird for it though and the dpad is tiny.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dark Samus is such a good villain with such terrible boss fights. The, uh, second one in Prime 2 I think is really fun, that's it.

I don't even remember fighting her in 3, just that the final boss was a stupid tentacle or something.

They're all awesome fights imo. Dark Samus is my favorite metroid enemy for sure.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Samus, use your suit's varia feature to protect yourself from heat damage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Explore Norfair more, and also are you sure you've explored Maridia and not just Kraid's Lair.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

i already got the gravity suit before the grappling beam due to sequence breaking :smugbird:

then you don't even need to fight crocomire.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

I beat the croco dude and I have the full map for Norfair but cant go into the part with the lava

Go up from the xray place

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Lol.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Blast Ball: Featuring Samus Aran as the ball

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Charged Plasma is indeed the best and quickest choice for Ridley. Nice work op.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

The operation was completed. Play time: 7:06

I may have mentioned this was my first time I'll make sure I look up all of the boss names for prime first so I don't trigger anyone again

You're about to experience scanning for the first time. Enjoy.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Super Metroid will always be the best Metroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Let's be serious folks, people say Other M is a bad game, but it's an absolute travesty.

I'm watching Theater Mode right now.

• Locked thread