Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you've made an incredibly good choice op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching someone experience Super metroid for the first time is gonna be aces

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rip to queen of impzone

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
h-he's gaming at a geometric rate!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ralp posted:

I really wish there was an even half assed graphically updated metroid 2 port. Color game boy is just not quite enough for me, but the idea of landing on the metroid home planet and fighting evolved metroids to wipe out all of them is extremely my poo poo

Gotta be patient for that one guy to complete the remake. Return of Samus is cool because it's stuck in a transfer stage between the NES original and the SNES masterpiece. It has that complete lack of player guidance but gains some of the interesting power ups. Metroid 2 is actually the first one to have the Spider Ball, which could be used on any wall. I think this one gets passed over a lot and it never got the Zero mission treatment. You can currently by this on the Nintendo eshop

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems like the guy or team is still working on it. The last post on their dev blog is from4 days ago

quote:

JanusOctober 27, 2015 at 4:04 AM
Thanks for the update mate. Keep up the good work.
Could you please send me your paypal email or a bitcoin address? I would at least buy you a bear.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ralp posted:

oh good, I had thought that stalled out :)
I read about Metroid 2 in Nintendo Power 1000 years ago and the only thing I remember is thinking how crazy the spider ball power up sounded, you can stick to and roll on any wall, any ceiling? Wow, sounds super easy, I thought.

It's not an easy game. Killing metroids allows the remainder to evolve into alpha and so on metroids. The Queen is probably one of the hardest 2d bosses.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prime 3 has one of the best moments in the series when you listen to the Aura Unit log where it gets taken over by phaze. The whole derelict cruiser part was tense

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quadraxis fight is cool. And the cutscene leading up to the last dark samus fight is on of the sickest moments in games

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or the part at the end when the Lumoth thank Samus for saving their planet and she just peaces em out over the shoulder

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ralp cmon it tells you you can use the suit to teleport

Evil Eagle posted:

My favorite part personally is her action scanning to open a light world portal near the end. It's awesome.

I'm sitting here remembering cutscenes and nodding at how fully sick they are

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This music used to freak me out so hard. I played prime 1 on a little tv in my room that was kinda too dark so some of the areas in drifts were scary. Whenever the little intro hit I would always get scared lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

he still refers to it as "el juego con las chochas que vuelan" (the game with the flying pussies, in reference to metroids)

lmfao win dad

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

that doesnt even kill him i think, just a TASer showing off.

the secret is letting him grab you and then grappling an electric field, it fries him in seconds

He dies in your AV from full green

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I asked for a Wii for Christmas just to play prime 3. I also got Wii fit and the balance board. My brother made a hitler Mii and he used that as his wiifit person, when it took his bmi it made the hitler Mii fat. So now whenever I want to play prime 3 there's a scrolling image with fat hitler telling me I haven't used wiifit in 2+ weeks.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

That whole last level and fight on hypermode is stressful

b button with turbo assigned. One of the most shameful things I've ever done but that strafe is crazy

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

A turbo wii mote... wtf.

Oh I meant the last boss in prime 2 for GameCube

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

did you know you could just use the annihilator beam to destroy him lol

Nope lol

E: wait Emp Ing or dark samus? I think the illustrated guide I got has that info

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never done the screw attack thing because it's hard to score an accurate hit with it in the primes. Was it even in 3 I don't remember? But yeah the annihilator beam ruins him. Dark Samus is the epitome of final metroid bosses though

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Though I remember reading about the final area of Prime 3 and freaking out harder than the final DS fight

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

The final ds fight in prime 2 actually kicks major rear end and has awesome music.

I said it earlier but the part at 40 seconds in this video is on of the coolest scenes in gaming.

Bobnumerotres posted:

the screw attack was in 3, but it was an early mid-game upgrade and it got a pretty severe nerf. one of my main complaints about the game tbh lol the screw attack is like samus' ultimate upgrade, i mean it's cool the game had a true plasma beam that wrecked poo poo near the end but :(

It was probably hard to get a perfect screw attack in the 3D games. It seemed like it was more intended for wall jumping than standard damage

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have to use a retro controller

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember that spider loving me up

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was also that frame perfect thing you had to do to unlock a secret conversation.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's mindblowing is that the director for Other M worked on Metroid, Super, and Fusion. Though there are a lot of similarities between Fusion and Other M in world design I just cannot believe he signed off on the story and Samus's character in Other M.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
extended voiced cutscenes in your metroid game that's a no no

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

tfw some of your favorite games of all time were good by accident

I'll say it, the Super Nintendo is basically perfect

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

lol ur old

Uh!!!!!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

African AIDS cum.

It's more potent than other varieties

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caithness posted:

There is one upgrade in the water area of fusion that I never found. I don't know if it has anything to do with the shine spark sequence break that I could never pull off.

I don't believe there's anything but the hidden scene at the point.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbf it seems like it was insanely ambitious for the time.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

It's just that ambition was a very large quantity of mostly identical corridors and vertical corridors. Sometimes you get lucky and get a palette swap.

Yeah but it was running on either an arcade cab or the NES. Compare that to what they did on the SNES. Or even what they did on the gameboy

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We say the same stuff about metal gear 1

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh! That makes way more sense.

Yeah. Too bad MG1 never got a zero mission style remake

Bobnumerotres posted:

what a good game

whereas metroid dread, where the gently caress is metroid dread nintendo

Canceled forever. I think maybe passed over instead for Other M.

e: kinda wrong about that last part. Sakamoto said the game existed as a prototype in 2010 for a 2d DS game. But the studio that was working on it made a lovely game and they shelved the metroid title along with it.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 16, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Lol.

I don't even know

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benny D posted:

The operation was completed. Play time: 7:06

I may have mentioned this was my first time I'll make sure I look up all of the boss names for prime first so I don't trigger anyone again

You just played one of the best games ever

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Real talk the metroid saving you is still one of the most powerful moments in gaming for me

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SA-X saving you was really weird and only a few games have achieved that awesome beat down moment you get on MB (unpopular opinion but the end to the newer Tomb Raider game feels close). I maintain Fusion is very good but it looking back it's definitely a precursor to what other m would be.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

The game peaks with the buildup to and fight with the Nightmare. That's a cool sequence. Which is why they tried to do it again, but worse, in Other M.

Hey remember the optional phantoon fight inOther M and also how they wholesale ripped off fusion but made it worse. Like whenever I watch those behind the scenes videos on classic Nintendo games Miyamoto always comes up and speaks some loving wisdom that makes whatever game amazing. So what were his notes for Other M? Did he just walk in the room and go "Jesus Christ" and started filing paper work to get the lead dev to be a janitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fusion also had a near 1:1 remake of the SM Ridley fight. Though fusion also had that silly orb thing after every boss. That recurring security tank was boss though

• Locked thread