Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I grew up with a Genesis and missed out on a ton of awesome SNES games. After binging on Bloodborne and MGS5 for the last three months I decided I wanted to relax with something lighter. Ill be playing:

Super Metroid (PC)
Metroid Prime 1-3 (WII Trilogy)
Metroid Fusion
Zero Mission

Ive only read terrible things about Other M so I probably wont play that

I played NES Metroid once so I sort of know what im doing but ive never touched any of the other games. Im like an hour into SMetroid. I just beat the second(?) boss, the hangy plant thing that shoots spores & got the super missile. I dont really know where to go now. I found a spooky dragon statue and some floors that i cant cross without dropping through. Im not gonna look at any guides so we'll see how it goes...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

elf help book posted:

Theyre good games

I really liked the castlevania games I've played and I don't know why it took me so long to get around to this

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I won't say anything else, but please look at the controls in the main menu of super metroid.

I'm playing on a keyboard so it's really awkward shooting at angles

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I must be retarder because nowhere on the controls did it reference the sprint button. I just found it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe i missed it. I crossed
The crumbling blocks and now I'm in some sort of underwater area

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Got the high jump boots. There are some hellish rooms down here that eat my health so I'm gonna go back and explore the beginning areas for new stuff.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently o can't get back out until I get a new item or find a new route. My only options are a room that eats my health too fast for me to get through or a hallway with doors that close really fast. There's a tunnel below and one up top with a monster in it but I'm bombing everything and can't find a way in.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

After a ton of backtracking & bombing literally everything I found a "spazer" and a big monster that gave me a new space suit. The music in this game
Is sick

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I've made a lot of progress & went back for upgrades. Finding the little monsters that teach you the special
Moves is sick

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Keyboard controls were fine until igot the grapple beam. It's a pain to chain together swings.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I found a spooooky ghost ship. I killed big thing that was either a squid or a ghost or maybe a ghost squid, then the power came on. This is so much fun

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

rediscover posted:

congratulations on destroying phantoon with seemingly no problems at all, which is impressive.

I have six energy tanks & two reserves & all the cool blaster upgrades soar far. I had a lot more trouble with that mini boss you have to pushback onto the breakable blocks

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

If you get the last beam and hit Crocomire in the mouth with it, he goes apeshit and slams you into the spike wall and never stops.

I ran out of missiles and used a power bomb and this happened, pretty brutal

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Did metroid come before Castlevania? I know games were pretty limited in what they could do back then so it's not surprising to have so many side scrollers with a similar feel but those two games definitely share a lot of mechanics & even abilities. The first time I power jumped I thought of alucard in symphony of the night

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any way I can make my ds3 or 4 work with zsnes? I'm not very computer wise these days

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Other than grappling being a little hard at first playing on keyboard really isn't hard. I can wall jump & stuff just fine. What is a mockball

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I plugged my DS4 into the computer and It works perfectly with zsnes with no setup whatsoever. I'm not reading any of the MP stuff in the thread so I can still be surprised but I can't wait to get there.

Right now I'm stuck in the quicksand zone. I found a place I can progress but I have to be a ball and I can't bomb jump in quicksand so I'm gonna try that mockball thing. I guess I missed an upgrade?

Favorite moment so far was running into a statue at a dead end and figuring out all on my own that it looked just like the statue that holds upgrades, then the payoff when I morph balled on it and it walked me down to the next area 😁

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

OP if youre where i think you are, def dont try to glitch past it. you could get stuck for good. try coming back there later, there is a mid-late game upgrade that lets you move normally underwater
I have the gravity suit, I think I missed the springball(?) I'm passed all the water I'm in the quicksand

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Today is my last long work day so I'll beat this either tomorrow or wednsday, assuming I can figure out how to pass my current roadblock.

Playing with a DS4 is pretty awesome. Grapple swinging is much easier but somehow platforming actually feels harder (I'm using the DPAD).

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Dragygon wasn't very hard. It took me two play sessions to figure out why I couldn't progress and I'm embarrassed to admit that I never even tried power sprinting through the sandpit part. I have the x ray scope and everything and it didn't occur to me until a couple hours ago. I just got this sick plasma beam & space jump so I'm gonna go back and check my map for blue areas.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

what happened here? did OP ever beat super metroid??

I'm almost done. We're ridiculously understaffed at work and I've basically been living there this week but I haven't given up!!!

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

UPDATE I just got something called Screw Attack. This is sick

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Killing the two space pirates took me longer than anything else in the game, I figured out they were vulnerable after jump kicks but baiting them to do it is incredibly tedious

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

This pterodactyl thing is pretty tough.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

An otherwise empty room with a shattered glass tube. I'm sure there's nothing ominous about this!!

I killed the flying pterodactyl thing with charged plasma shots. I tried missiles first and I died but it was easy with beams

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

That metroid saved my life..........

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I failed the escape sequence by one second,

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The operation was completed. Play time: 7:06

I may have mentioned this was my first time I'll make sure I look up all of the boss names for prime first so I don't trigger anyone again

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

no ones mad at you it's just bizarre. it's like not knowing who bowser is and calling it "the spiky turtle thing"
I was cranky I took a nap 😅

I only got 60% completion. I thought I was pretty thorough!

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobby The Rookie posted:

He's also like the only moderately fun boss besides the gold Torizo.

Something that stuck out in my playthrough was how not fun most of the bosses are. Yes they have patterns but actively avoiding them is almost impossible and they mostly felt like a race to outrun the bosses health before my energy tanks went dry. The lava level miniboss seemed like a real attempt at turning a boss into a puzzle )pushing him back into the crumbling blocks but not enraging him). Honestly the whole run up to mother brain really made me want to play symphony of the night again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I wanted to do zero mission next but I'm going to play Prime instead.

• Locked thread