Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I really dig Prime 2's world design, the first areas with the spiderweb bug wasteland and then the bog feel like they capture the organic vibe of Super Metroid pretty well. And the sky fortress owns of course.

Something about the art design feels kinda off though, especially in the UI and some of the effects (the electricity/lightning when you crash in the beginning). It almost feels like a knockoff Metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ralp posted:

Super Metroid and Zero Mission and Prime (and probably even Metroid 2 but I've never played that) all did a really good job with the mood of utter isolation and solitude. Prime 2 put a mothman priest as the only other person on the planet which compromised that a little and then Prime 3 threw it completely out the window and the game is fine but it feels really weird to be Metroid. The feeling of isolation is important to Metroid, imo.

Maybe its because I played the series backwards (Prime/Fusion, then Super/Zero Mission), but I never really got that. Like, in Prime you don't have allies, but I never really felt isolated/alone, you're always reading research logs and you spend like a third of the game in labs/mining facilities. I guess it's just subjective whether you're just alone, or feeling a sense of isolation. I don't feel like the moth dude hanging out in his house interfered with anything. Pretty much everyone says what you're saying though so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I agree Prime 3 really hosed up the tone but for me that had more to do with your boss brain being really annoying and the stuff where you fight along the marines feeling really out of place like they were trying to cash in on Halo's popularity without really understanding it.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 10, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Every time I replayed Prime I did it on Hard which I think was a mistake in hindsight and slightly ruined the experience because it doesn't really add much challenge, mostly it turns every enemy into an annoying bullet sponge. It really ruins the flow of traversing back and forth through the areas.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Ok thanks I made it past it I am really digging this game, I wonder how different my life would have ended up if we'd have got a SNES instead of Genesis back in the day

Same, I didn't even get any of the good Genesis games, just a bunch of licensed crap. I spent years reading Nintendo Power and begging my parents to let me sell the genesis to a pawn shop so I could buy a snes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I found my nes style gba sp and it still works but the screen is super washed out. I thought it was age damage or something but apparently the first round of SP's have lovely screens so maybe it's always been like this and I never noticed? I was looking forward to replaying Fusion.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

frank.club posted:

SA-X saving you was really weird and only a few games have achieved that awesome beat down moment you get on MB (unpopular opinion but the end to the newer Tomb Raider game feels close). I maintain Fusion is very good but it looking back it's definitely a precursor to what other m would be.

Basically the timeline split after that, one universe got Other M and the other got Zero Mission.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Other M did give us a CG render of Mother Brain's hosed up t-rex form which is pretty cool. I dunno if it appears in the actual game but I watched the flashback cutscene and it looked neat.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've only played 1 Metroid game :negative:

I think you can play every Metroid game on a Wii U so godspeed gamer.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I remember one where the camera swings wildly at an inopportune point and it made me angry.

The twist on that concept was after you fight the invisible drone and have to navigate that maze beneath the floor, where instead of falling the danger is getting shocked by the walls. That one was tense because the stretch before that is really grueling and I was always low on health by that point.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tbh the appeal of a metroidvania is trusting that the level designers are hiding poo poo competently and in good faith that it's not just a mess of bullshit and mandatory exploits, otherwise you could spend hours wandering around looking for upgrades that're hidden behind some insane bullshit you'd never figure out if you didn't make it yourself. I'm sure there's good romhacks that get this but I wouldn't play one unless it's been 100% vetted by someone I know isn't a masochist. It's why a Super Metroid Maker would be garbage.

• Locked thread