Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

X-O posted:

Why would you even read the chat.

Also all the episodes are on Youtube and have been for a while. No need to be at a loss.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcXYrPbFM8lVi98lBztqYRw/playlists

Still, they should just keep rerunning the marathon. There's something to be said for a 24/7 Bob Ross feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Still, they should just keep rerunning the marathon. There's something to be said for a 24/7 Bob Ross feed.

Can't argue with that.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
You can turn off the chat, you know. The little gear under the chat window. You can also put it in theater mode. There's an icon next to the other gear under the video window. Gears everywhere. I may be stating the obvious but I saw something about resorting to fullscreen to escape the chat cascade of stupid.

Also thanks for posting this stream. Joy of Painting is like benzos.

edit: god bless

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Even Twitch chat knows they're watching something cool and unique, I can't hardly blame them for trying to express that in their own weird little language of weed and dick jokes.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Cabbit posted:

Even Twitch chat knows they're watching something cool and unique, I can't hardly blame them for trying to express that in their own weird little language of weed and dick jokes.

This. I read the chat because it's part of the experience and even occasionally loops around from moronic to sublime in this particular case. They're idiots but they're happy and it's nice to see a mob on the internet that isn't a seething ball of hate for once.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

X-O posted:

It's kind of frustrating at times how easy he makes things look. Giving false hope to would-be painters everywhere. He can make a full beautiful little nature scene out of literally nothing in 25 minutes with no effort. Abracadabra! Two seconds and this blob of black is now a mountain that looks better than anything you'll ever think about drawing for the rest of your life!

This thread is going to be stuck up top for a few days because what the hell. People need to watch at least a few minutes/hours/days of this.

When I was a kid, I'd come home and watch the Joy of Painting every day after school and did my own amateur painting alongside it. I wanted to be a painter and when I went to art school, I went into their painters' program and couldn't hack and went into graphic design and teaching instead. I've got nothing but respect for any painter that can make it seem so easy when it really, truly isn't.

Bob Ross was the best and I cried when my mom told me he had died. I was like ten, but I'm sure I would've gotten emotional if I were an adult at the time, too.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Yesterday Bob said "twitch", and today he said "mid-stream"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bob has little birds with him!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I wonder how many people have gone and bought the supplies to go paint alongside. Hopefully at least a few, the stream was over 60k viewers for days....

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Considering the marathon is streaming on a website where you watch people play video games, doing an activity is probably a nonstarter for your average twitch streamer.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I've always remembered him talking about happy little clouds and happy little trees and such, but he really liked almighty things too, didn't he.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jon Do posted:

I wonder how many people have gone and bought the supplies to go paint alongside. Hopefully at least a few, the stream was over 60k viewers for days....

I know nothing about the cost of paint supplies but just going off his own site. Buying paints, brushes, and a canvass will easily set you back $150.

Watching this since Friday I really do want to try one painting just to see how bad I am.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I was watching the twitch stream friday or Saturday and it was the episode where he first introduced the baby bird he found. Then yesterday evening I was watching again and he ask the bird what he thinks of the painting and reaches off screen and grabs a big rear end jay or something.

Anyone know how long he raised that bird? Did he ever release it like he had planned?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hoooly poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFouile2gDk

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

I know nothing about the cost of paint supplies but just going off his own site. Buying paints, brushes, and a canvass will easily set you back $150.

Watching this since Friday I really do want to try one painting just to see how bad I am.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to have nice paint, brushes and canvas but if you are doing this for fun, you certainly don't have to spend 150+ on supplies.

Buy student grade acrylics, any brush you can find (just make sure the bristles aren't fraying everywhere) buy a pack of store brand bristol board (9x12 or 11x14, etc) and tape it to a panel of wood and you are good to go.
If you don't have some wood around, go to a home improvement store and ask for a small piece of masonite, it's cheap and it's what they use to make those expensive "drawing boards" out of anyways.

You can use a chair as a makeshift easel, just cover it with a blanket or something cause you will get paint on it otherwise.

If you shop around for sales and use coupons (art stores tend to have lots of those, even places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby as well as standards like Blick/Jerry's/etc) you can probably get set up for closer to 50-60ish (most of that going into paint) and have enough supplies to do multiple paintings if you end up liking it.

Also for paint, you really only need a few. Red, blue, yellow, black and white. You can mix what you need from those.

Go for it though, painting is a whole lot of fun and is far from the worst hobby you could have. (if you happen to get addicted to it anyways)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This is consuming far too much of my time, but I just can't turn away.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I worry that I'm developing a dependency that will be difficult to deal with when the stream ends.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's how all of us have felt without new Bob Ross for the last 25+ years :smith:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

He loving cheats by using multiple brushes of the same kind. Try doing his goddamn dabby-dab paint style with one brush without running it through a dishwasher every 10 minutes and see how far you get

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think you'll find he uses paint thinner and constantly beats the devil out of them. It's literally the best part of the show because he giggles like a child every time he does it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-O posted:

I think you'll find he uses paint thinner and constantly beats the devil out of them. It's literally the best part of the show because he giggles like a child every time he does it.

I saw one episode where he talked about how he was getting in trouble for getting thinner over everything by constantly beating his brush.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The best part of The Joy of Painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNAzYEM1pxo

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I always love hearing people reaction's to Bob Ross. I never watched him as a child but I watch a few episodes every once in a while these days and they're the loving best. I showed one of my friends a random episode on YouTube a while back of like a stream and some trees and stuff. Bob chooses to throw a waterfall in there and he paints the single best waterfall I've ever seen him do in one stroke and my friend just shouts out "Oh, bullshit!" It was literally the best thing in the world. Bob can make the whole world great in just half an hour.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I loving love that this marathon exists.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Well I might do something crazy this weekend and try this out. There's a Michaels' not far from me and if their website is any indication it should only cost about $80 for paints, brushes and canvass.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 3, 2015

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pretty much every aspect of this show is fantastic, but I think the best part is easily when he whips out a baby animal.

http://picturesofbobrosswithanimals.tumblr.com/

The only one I've caught on the stream so far was Peep, the tiny sparrow, but it looks like the menagerie starts coming out in later seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXb3i1BhFsI

The stream went apeshit for Peep, but Peep's got nothing on Hoot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Digital Jedi posted:

Well I might do something crazy this weekend and try this out. There's a Michaels' not far from me and if their website is any indication it should only cost about $80 for paints, brushes and canvass.

Is there a Bob Ross starter kit or do you need to figure out what you need by watching a bunch of episodes? Either way, I might do it too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PT6A posted:

Is there a Bob Ross starter kit or do you need to figure out what you need by watching a bunch of episodes? Either way, I might do it too.

They play the colors on the screen every episode. It's always the same seven or eight colors like Titanium White, Phthalo Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Van Dyke Brown, and Dark Sienna.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

X-O posted:

They play the colors on the screen every episode. It's always the same seven or eight colors like Titanium White, Phthalo Blue, Alizarin Crimson, and Dark Sienna.
Thalo Green, Prussian Blue, Sap Green, Midnight Black, Cadmium Yellow, Indian Yellow, and how could you forget Van Dyke Brown?!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

Thalo Green, Prussian Blue, Sap Green, Midnight Black, Cadmium Yellow, Indian Yellow, and how could you forget Van Dyke Brown?!

I didn't you just caught me before the edit. Also for shame, it's Phthalo. Don't forget the Ph.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I just went on Michaels' site and looked up oil paints. It brought me to this http://www.michaels.com/royal-and-langnickel-zen-artist-oil-paint-set/10400218.html
Seems too have everything I would need. Can't tell the exact colors but trying to find his specific ones might be hard outside his site. Grab a 5 pack of canvas and I'm good. I'll make an easel somehow.
I will have to see if the store does carry that exact set but even if they don't I'm sure I can piece it all together.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

X-O posted:

I didn't you just caught me before the edit. Also for shame, it's Phthalo. Don't forget the Ph.
"Phthalocyanine Blue BN, also called Monastral blue, phthalo blue, thalo blue (and others) (CAS 147-14-8, EINECS 205-685-1), is a bright, crystalline, synthetic blue pigment from the group of phthalocyanine dyes."

:colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I swear there was a lot of burnt ochre earlier too...

Edit: To my earlier question, I was talking about all the brushes and knives and whatnot. I'm less concerned about price than getting all the poo poo he uses on any given painting.

Also, you guys forgot liquid white and black gesso.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 3, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
It won't matter too much if you can't get the exact same colours. The reason for having pairs of blues, greens, yellows etc is that one colour is warm and the other is cool: http://www.drawingandpaintinglessons.com/Painting-Lessons/Split-Primary-Colors.cfm

lmao

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

X-O posted:

In the first few seasons it was thalo blue and green, but by the middle seasons they found the ph in front of thalo but lost the green to sap green. RIP thalo green.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
This brings back soo many joyous memories. Used to watch the poo poo outta this when I was 6 years old. So glad to see he is getting major recognition and appraise on a loving gaming website. The man was a national treasure, and is still missed to this day. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Went to watch a little before sleep and of course the play the same episode twice in a row. If it happens three times in a row I'll know I'm cursed.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

"GG Well painted" is kind of funny, I'll admit :shobon:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bob Ross' official website has a bunch of starter kits with presumably the exact stuff you want. They're pretty pricey though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The Duke posted:

"GG Well painted" is kind of funny, I'll admit :shobon:

I have a guilty fondness for :eek: rip devil :eek: excitement

• Locked thread