Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

PT6A posted:

I swear there was a lot of burnt ochre earlier too...

Edit: To my earlier question, I was talking about all the brushes and knives and whatnot. I'm less concerned about price than getting all the poo poo he uses on any given painting.

Also, you guys forgot liquid white and black gesso.

Bob uses very few brush types. You can get away with the following:

Fan brush
2 inch flat brush
1 inch oval
Small, round brushes (quarter to half inch)
Line brush (very small, point brush)
Pentagonal palette knife (no real term for this, but they have five sides)
Triangular palette knife

He often has multiples of the same brushes as well so he doesn't have to clean as frequently.

These are all basic tools, but the pentagonal palette knives are very handy for doing Bob-style mountains since they are great for dragging edges and rolls of paint across a canvas.

What makes Bob's techniques work is that he works wet-on-wet. The canvases have light coats of wet transparent white, and he works by placing heavy colors first, thinner colors later. Instead of the canvas picking up on the paint and absorbing it, the paints on top of the white pre-coat are easier to blend. It's tough to master, because people tend to put way too much paint on and it turns into a mess real quickly. Work background to foreground, and don't be afraid to use knives. They're not just for mixing on your palette! Also, try to keep your paints marbled, mixing too consistently will kill the character. Dirty brushes can also be useful.

I spent way too much time in artschool painting with both acrylics and oils, and I was never particularly good at it, but Bob's technique is just one of many for producing painting. Don't get frustrated if you don't make results like his right away.

Hakkesshu posted:

Bob Ross' official website has a bunch of starter kits with presumably the exact stuff you want. They're pretty pricey though

It's nothing you can't find at AC Moore's or Dick Blick but there is something to be said for the convenience of getting everything you need selected for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is one of the most zen things of all time

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I like having this show up on my second monitor. I'll glance at the start when he's slapping paint around, go focus on work for a few minutes, and suddenly there's a lovely little mountain scene in front of me :3:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh man, the chat is PRICELESS when the stream craps out. Lots of DDOS accusations, followed by sudden onset depression, then assertions that Twitch doesn't have problems, just happy little accidents. #FREEBOB

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I imagine this could work well with The French Chef as well. It's a neat way to get people nostalgic about a show they watched when they were younger as well as exposing The Joy of Painting to people who haven't seen it before.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'd seen bob ross in pictures (happy dude smiling in front of some landscape painting) so I knew who he was, but I'd never seen the Joy of Painting before and holy poo poo... this is the most peaceful, calming show ever. In fact, I was going through some heavy stuff earlier today and afterwards I turned on the stream, and it's hard to feel stressed or angry or upset watching him.

Plus I'm in awe of how he'll throw some seemingly-random blotch onto the canvas and two minutes later he's turned it into something even better than before. Hence Twitch's RUINED/SAVED I guess.

Sad that he's gone. It's weird - I'm feeling the loss twenty years later, but it's there. :( Totally agree that there should just be a perpetual 24/7 marathon going so people can tune-in to watch some happy trees get painted.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

dude789 posted:

I imagine this could work well with The French Chef as well. It's a neat way to get people nostalgic about a show they watched when they were younger as well as exposing The Joy of Painting to people who haven't seen it before.

I would be all over this. I remember seeing some Julia Child on PBS when I was a kid but I can't say I've seen more than 10 episodes probably

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Once this marathon is over, if you have the ability to watch YouTube on your TV, subscribe to Bob Ross Painting, pick a playlist, and let it rip.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
He has a pet squirrel in his jacket pocket. It is adorable.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 4, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Digital Jedi posted:

He has a pet squirrel in his jacket packet. It is adorable.

Bob Ross: Painted a bunch of really good landscapes, had a bomb rear end afro, also could talk to animals.

Is there anything this man can't do :allears:

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

He has a pet squirrel in his jacket pocket. It is adorable.

A couple squirrels in his house, the one in the pocket.

I like to imagine Bob in an afterlife like the one Robin Williams was in in What Dreams may Come.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOOOOOL Steve is on right now and when he went to beat the devil out of a brush, he followed it up with, "So much for that pair of pants."

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this is magical

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, the Twitch chat has honestly made this whole marathon that much better, for once.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Chieves posted:

Yeah, the Twitch chat has honestly made this whole marathon that much better, for once.

It's probably the first time these kids have seen something that wasn't advertising a product or relentlessly negative or demanding some kind of call to action. There's no subliminal messaging or irony or reading between the lines, it's just earnest and honest.

I hope it's genuine appreciation and not ironic appreciation because I'm old who doesn't understand these kids and their newfangled havewhatits, but who knows.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I hope it's genuine appreciation and not ironic appreciation because I'm old who doesn't understand these kids and their newfangled havewhatits, but who knows.
This is kind of a second wave of Bob Ross appreciation because I remember being a lovely teenager in the early '90s and seeing Bob Ross for the first time in an MTV promo bumper, getting curious and switching on PBS, immediately getting hooked, talking to all my friends about it and finding out the same thing happened to them. It was the exact same thing and seeing it happen carbon-copied right down to the RUIN/SAVED mentality 20 years later is amazing.

And super loving weird.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I've been meaning to try painting for a while now and this kind of had me eyeing it again. The only problem is that after watching Bob lay down trees and sky without even trying my first paintbrush stroke will immediately be the worst ever and also cause the canvas to burst into flames and burn down.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

my first paintbrush stroke will immediately be the worst ever and also cause the canvas to burst into flames and burn down. a happy little accident.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The last series, 27, just started. Get in on this while you can!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PotatoJudge posted:

The last series, 27, just started. Get in on this while you can!

There's actually 31, still two more days left.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

X-O posted:

Unstickied? For shame. :(

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

X-O posted:

So happy to be wrong!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Squirrel time!

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I just went out and bought oil paints and brushes. Going to make some happy clouds and accidents this weekend.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hcreight posted:

This is overtaking Twitch at the moment, which is sure to piss off the moba crowd.

I approve.

hcreight posted:

My one objection to this stream is the spazoid behavior of your average twitch chat room runs completely counter to what makes watching The Joy of Painting so wonderful. But, you can just make it fullscreen. :)

hcreight posted:

Considering the marathon is streaming on a website where you watch people play video games, doing an activity is probably a nonstarter for your average twitch streamer.

Literally everything you have to say about Bob Ross is how much you hate Twitch and how much you hope one of the most chill streams of all time is pissing people off. That's some seriously depressive stuff. :smith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It would be hard to say that he's wrong, though.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I hope Twitch just loops this stream after it ends. They are doing a national service.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Escobarbarian posted:

It would be hard to say that he's wrong, though.

I've had chat open and sure it's twitch but they're enjoying it. They're just showing that the way twitch subculture expects people to

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

How successful was this show back in the day? Because thinking back to the 80s and 90s I get the feeling he would've snootily been considered a fairly unremarkable low-brow painter like a Thomas Kinkade or something.

These days he would be a loving millionaire just because of how he displays his craft.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Popular enough for Bob to be a minor cultural entity, but the knock on Bob was that his paintings "always looked the same." Of course, if you watched the show for any period of time you'd know that while Bob has a consistent style, he never made the same painting twice. Art is full of snobs and people were certainly looking down on Bob creating "cookie cutter landscape painters." But Bob always said that his show was always a starting point; that you shouldn't copy, that you should always move on and create your own techniques.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hakkesshu posted:

These days he would be a loving millionaire just because of how he displays his craft.

He was a millionaire back then, he was crazy stupid popular around the world. Still is. The thing you will never see watching the show is how shrewd and calculating a businessman he was. The Ur example being his afro. He was to put it mildly not fond of the afro, but he knew people loved it and it made him an iconic figure. So what does the man do? Wear a haircut he dislikes until the day he dies. He wasn't like some small town yokel that just happened to break out on PBS, he built a foundation so strong it still profits to this day. He made all his money from his paint supplies and his certified teachers and his books and his videos. Of which there was and is a metric fuckton of. Dude did what he loved and he made bank doing it.

With that being said, he was still a bit of a goof that legitimately loved raising wounded animals in his free time and filming them frolicking and such. Not like he was a calculating sociopath and the Bob Ross you saw on screen wasn't real, he just slightly leans into it to entertain folks. He also did an entire season of the show in about two days, and he didn't make a dime off them. He donated all his pictures to PBS too. Free advertising for him, money for PBS to do cool things with. Bob Ross was a cool dude, but no man's fool.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did wonder how much time it would take to shoot a season.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Elentor posted:

Literally everything you have to say about Bob Ross is how much you hate Twitch and how much you hope one of the most chill streams of all time is pissing people off. That's some seriously depressive stuff. :smith:

I'm glad this stream happened and even appreciate a lot of the stuff Twitch brings to the table. But fair point, I'll shut up about Twitch for the duration since this isn't the place to be complaining about it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Final episode on now. 147k vieweers

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 7, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really hope Twitch do more stuff like this because this was extremely cool and chill. What other old shows had this kind of cultural resonance though?

Edit: This is basically perfect. :shobon:

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 7, 2015

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
A countdown is on the stream until Monday....

What might it be?

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
175k people watching The Joy of Painting on a Friday night. They couldn't have known how popular something like this was going to be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Harminoff posted:

A countdown is on the stream until Monday....

What might it be?

The Joy of Painting II with Steve Ross. Get ready.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pierson posted:

I really hope Twitch do more stuff like this because this was extremely cool and chill. What other old shows had this kind of cultural resonance though?

Edit: This is basically perfect. :shobon:
Bill Nye perhaps.

But yeah that was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Accordion Man posted:

Bill Nye perhaps.
The internet does adore Bill Nye yeah, that could work. Bob Ross was just incredibly relaxing in his enthusiasm though and painting is something any age can appreciate, whereas Bill Nye looks a lot more hyperactive and his show looks like it was specifically geared towards younger demographics?

• Locked thread