Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nathilus posted:

I can see several ways around the selection bias issue. Don't make it a choice but rather a random selection with an opt out, for example.

This is effectively how the system operates today.

twodot posted:

I didn't understand this at all. I get prosecutors, prosecutors have a disincentive to try police, because they need police to gather evidence and if police dislike a prosecutor, the prosecutor may have trouble securing evidence which they need for future trials. How does that map to jurors? Fill in the blanks "Jurors have a disincentive to convict <group X> because they need <group X> to <activity Y> and if <group X> disliked jurors, the jurors may have trouble securing <result of activity Y> which they need for future <activity Z>".

This isn't why prosecutors are disincentivized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trent posted:

Having jurors that are not peers except in the vaguest sense of being humans that currently live in the same nation rather than sharing any sense of cultural awareness feels somehow off to me.

Well firstly, it's typically not in "the same nation as you", it's usually the same city as you (since most crimes are prosecuted at the local level). Secondly, there are plenty of examples where shared cultural awareness presents a clear and present bias towards the defendant (you can think of :heritage: for why that might be bad).

• Locked thread