Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RaySmuckles posted:

National Service. Young people must give 2 years to the government, an option of which is to be a professional juror. Fill the jury rolls with the innocent and idealistic, those who haven't been corrupted yet. Plus its a great head start on a profession in law/government!

I'd be alright with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tsa posted:

Seriously? The idea of a volunteer jury is one of the worst things I have head in a long time. Like someone else said imagine the selection bias that would result. Basically imagine the sort of person that likes the tipping system because of the power it gives the person over the server-those are the sorts of people that would choose the juror path. It would be an rear end in a top hat magnet.

Also requiring civil service is a terrible idea in general, there's no need our justification for it at all.

The jury system isn't perfect but it is a hell of a lot better than the suggestions in this thread.

As opposed to the current legal and governmental practice which is presumably not crewed by assholes?

People are assholes, being paid properly for your time and it being your literal job at least may help reduce the general antipathy of jurors towards defendants. And regular exposure to the legal system may help people understand its flaws. Further, participation in the civil service would be a good thing for anybody to do at a young age because again, it's something that governs a lot of your life, and you will be on the receiving end of it eventually, so you should understand some manner of how it functions.

A randomization of injustice doesn't produce justice, unfortunately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Look at how rabidly authoritarian the criminal justice system is right now, especially the prosecutors. I can't imagine the professional juries would be anything other than an extension of those attitudes. I'll take incompetent, uninformed people over people who think their duty is to send as many people to prison as humanly possible.

What makes you think those are exclusive groups? Punitive justice enjoys a great deal of popular support.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Care to elaborate?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know, what makes people become junior doctors? Same power over others, social status, high paying, yet generally committed to patient welfare even if they really don't deserve it. Figure that out and use it to get jurors. I don't understand it for a minute but a significant part of society functions on the basis that most medical professionals give a drat about their patients.

Failing that I believe the suggestion was for it to be something everyone does, possibly with the option of random sampling and opt-out? So it isn't entirely elective and you can't do it just because you want to. It doesn't guarantee you more benevolent jurors but it does mean that the people doing jury service aren't having time and money pulled out of their normal lives to do it, and it gets people properly engaged with the civil service.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Germany, where the class system is enshrined in the schools, is surely a model for democratic ideals.

In fact, the assumptions around "the average person is poo poo" are exactly that "cult of the expert"- lawyers are necessarily on a higher plane of existence, congenitally elite. Can a full caste system be far behind?

In any case, it's questionable whether the current obtuse state of the law is a necessary requirement or a coincidental consequence of the way law has evolved or a means of recentralizing control such that the average citizen is helpless against legal mechanisms, such as with policing.

If your basic premise is that people are poo poo I'm not sure how you move on to "but lawyers are better"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also longer-serving jurors who are not quite long-serving enough for them to become entrenched, though possibly long-serving enough to encourage a wider diaspora of people entering the legal profession and certainly enough to alleviate the general dislike of jury service as an inconvenience.

• Locked thread