Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
== Log 012: Speedy Sands ==

Gameplay Video

Gotta go fast.

• What's that trail behind Boomer and the Ballums?
Those are some very basic particle effects. Particle effects are visual effects handled by a particle system in the game that abstracts away a lot of drawing functions. They're very helpful for drawing trails and other such things: You can also notice particle effects when you shift and revert blocks. Other uses of particle effects include the enemies when they're defeated and the "you collected all the coins" effect.

The code for this particular particle effect is as follows:

code:
if (transport) {
	part_type_color_mix(p_transport, c_red, c_purple);
	repeat (5)
        	part_particles_create(particles_below, x - 4 + irandom(8), y - 8 + irandom(10) + get_rotated() * 4, p_transport, 10);
}
We want to make Boomer's particles red and purple because that fits his color. What's that get_rotated() function, though? Well, come back tomorrow.

• What exactly does the Speed Boost do?
The Speed Boost heightens the limit on how fast the player can go in either direction. Boomer's movement is usually limited to two pixels a frame, but the Speed Boost bumps it up a notch. The camera has to go faster to compensate; so there's special code in the camera function that adds to the camera's speed if the player has the Speed Boost and is moving. You also bounce the maximum amount when you hit a Spring Block under the Speed Boost condition regardless of how high you drop from.

• How does the lever work?
The lever actually inherits a lot of its code from obj_switch, which is the box/button switch you've been seeing. All I did was remove the functionality for standing on top of it to activate it and replace it with a timed switch instead. The switch can also affix itself to walls, like how the obj_spike can rotate based on its placement, but that doesn't show up in this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

I've been hard at work on the game lately, as well as college and job searching, but I can share a tidbit with you right now. Here's a new level I've been working on. Tell me what you think!

Ooh, looks pretty tricky. Is that like a mid-late gameish level?

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ooh, looks pretty tricky. Is that like a mid-late gameish level?

That's still a fairly early level.

The game is not intended to last super long in terms of hours. After I introduce all the main block types (We still have to go over magnet, platform, rotate, and weight blocks), the levels after that will try to combine the blocks into fairly challenging puzzles. You'll notice that a lot of the puzzles I've had so far don't really combine the block properties too much just yet.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know if it's just me, but the fact that the arrows on the speed blocks have a direction made me think at first that they only worked in that direction. I can't think of an intuitive symbol for speed that doesn't have a direction to it, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HMS Boromir posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but the fact that the arrows on the speed blocks have a direction made me think at first that they only worked in that direction. I can't think of an intuitive symbol for speed that doesn't have a direction to it, though.

It depends on how willing you are to do internal animations on the blocks. Moving lines of a high-contrast color would do pretty well, but then it kinda has the same directional problem.

a sprinting boot

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Would it be too difficult to just put bi-directional arrows on the blocks?

Something like this?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I would suggest a fast forward symbol for a possible speed icon, but that also has the issue of pointing right.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What about 3 or 4 moving lines that move in both directions?

Like:
--------->
<---------
--------->
<---------

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the first time you ever move left on one of those blocks you'll figure it out, and most of the levels seem to be 90% moving right anyways. Otherwise it's a large, easy to identify icon that's distinct from everything else, which is probably more important in the long run.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
How about a quickly-rotating clock?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'd have taken a page out of Sonic's book and gone with shoes with a windy swoosh beneath them, personally.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Geemer posted:

What about 3 or 4 moving lines that move in both directions?

Like:
--------->
<---------
--------->
<---------

I don't have the space in the resolution of the game to make multiple arrows and still have them look like arrows while also retaining the yellow color and outline.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sorry, I was phoneposting. The arrow heads were more to indicate direction of the line. What I meant was just the lines moving left and right respectively. And also, not the full width of the block, but just long enough to be a line.

But if animated blocks are not an option, maybe crib some arrows from Chemistry. Like this equilibrium arrow:

It saves a bit of space over the two full arrows suggested by Captain Bravo.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 26, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I don't see that translating well to the size of block we've seen. The block as it is works fine.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Besides, couldn't you establish through the level design that the blocks are capable of working both ways?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Haha, I didn't expect that comment to spark this much discussion. I think Dr. Fetus is right, you could just have the game force you to use them to go left in a safe environment to show you that they work both ways, if you think it's a problem at all. I was just pointing it out because I know how useful it can be to get that sort of first impression thought from playtesters. (or in this case, uh, watchtesters?)

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

What about double up chevrons? That has plenty of room in the block and still indicates going faster without necessarily being directional. Aside from, well, up, I guess.

E: Well, I guess yellow up chevrons look pretty military...

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

== Log 013: A Thorough Explanation of How Magnets Work ==

Gameplay Video

Magnets! Attract or repel Boomer to avoid obstacles and other things. Use Tab to shift between the two modes on the fly.

• How do they work?

First, we check if the player is attached to Gum Blocks. If they are, the magnets do nothing.

We run through each magnet block and see if it's close enough. (Ideally, we could refactor this so that we only run through the magnet blocks that are close enough to Boomer using a k-d tree, but that would take some implementation. Plus, premature optimization and all that jazz.)

If it is, we calculate the strength in the x and y directions of the force away from the magnet or towards the magnet, based on whether or not it's repelling. The strength in the x direction is half that in the y direction because it tends to cause some problems of sucking the player in when standing still. I also add a bonus to the force in the y if the magnet is repelling and the player's vertical speed is high enough, so that when coming down hard on repel magnets they can still bounce you up in time to prevent contacting them.

We add this velocity to the player's main velocity after we run through all the blocks, with a maximum speed of two in each direction. This can be increased by using the Super Magnets cheat.

• So besides floating atop spikes?
You can use them as impromptu Spring Blocks. Get really close to a magnet by attracting, then fly off at super fast speeds by changing it to a repel type.
You can use them as impromptu Gum Blocks. Slowly slide up a wall with the repel magnets.
You can also use them to augment jumps; the repel function is really helpful for that, especially when attached to Gum Blocks.

Metal boxes, to be introduced in a later level, are also affected by magnet blocks, but to a stronger degree than Boomer is.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

An in-development theme.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

An in-development theme.

Not enough spikes everywhere.

Being able to flip things around leads to some interesting level design possibilities. I'm curious to see what you end up doing with the idea.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

An in-development theme.

Even more progress. I have my amazing artist to thank for these tiles:

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Even more progress. I have my amazing artist to thank for these tiles:

And on the sound side of things, for that theme:
https://clyp.it/r1jheoqg

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

And on the sound side of things, for that theme:
https://clyp.it/r1jheoqg

And the finished product!
https://clyp.it/i5pnro2a

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I'm honestly not certain if I'm just bad at multitasking, or if you're expecting a little much from the player - having the movement keys and the mouse and the tab button is a little much to keep track of, and I keep on pushing the wrong button in the heat of the moment while playing. Even just switching from keyboard to mouse feels awkward.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This is not headphone-friendly. Try to compress the sound stage.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Great Joe posted:

This is not headphone-friendly. Try to compress the sound stage.

I don't understand what this means, exactly. Do you mean the bass is too low? It sounds fine on both my good headphones and some cheap earbuds.

Valgaav posted:

I'm honestly not certain if I'm just bad at multitasking, or if you're expecting a little much from the player - having the movement keys and the mouse and the tab button is a little much to keep track of, and I keep on pushing the wrong button in the heat of the moment while playing. Even just switching from keyboard to mouse feels awkward.

I'm not sure, but I tried to make the opening level easy for the player, specifically removing a lot of timing elements like enemies from it so that you can focus on getting the mechanic down.

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 1, 2016

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I don't know what it means either, but I can say I'm not a fan of that rapidly switching stereo channel business. At least not to this severity.

E: Other than that, it's a pretty chill tune.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Geemer posted:

I don't know what it means either, but I can say I'm not a fan of that rapidly switching stereo channel business. At least not to this severity.

E: Other than that, it's a pretty chill tune.

Where is it bothering you? This can be a super easy fix. I'm aware that my left ear is stronger than my right - that's why I ask for feedback on this stuff.

E: Is this better?

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 1, 2016

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yes, that is much better, thanks. It was basically those first ten or so seconds before the other instruments kicked in that bothered me.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Geemer posted:

Yes, that is much better, thanks. It was basically those first ten or so seconds before the other instruments kicked in that bothered me.

That's good.
Things are coming along pretty nicely. I'm going to finish up the theme soon.

Do you guys want me to stream game creation?

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

There's a new alpha on the website! It's got a couple new levels I haven't covered yet. Feel free to play through them! I'll be resuming updates shortly. Unfortunately still no luck on a publisher or any sort of coverage or anything like that...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It would appear the best way to get coverage is to rub shoulders at trade shows. If you can't afford to go, or if you have a day job that prevents you from attending... well, sorry mang :(

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

It would appear the best way to get coverage is to rub shoulders at trade shows. If you can't afford to go, or if you have a day job that prevents you from attending... well, sorry mang :(

GDC is only 300 dollars for me, so I might be going to that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

GDC is only 300 dollars for me, so I might be going to that.
Definitely go to GDC if it's feasible for you. It's a great place to meet people and learn things. Or so they tell me. I live 12,000km away, so I've never been.

I imagine you've already spoken to people about it, but if you haven't, Tom Francis is literally the nicest man in the world and would probably be happy to answer your questions if you sent him an email or something.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Throwing out a new trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbWO_cp-l3I

I cut this together a few hours ago, but it's still pretty preliminary.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Looks like a pretty good start, but man this trailer really highlights the need to do something about visualizing cursor location when it's not on an interactable location.

e:I'm not trying to say that there's a trivial solution, just that it's a problem. The only things I've really thought of are trying to make a meta style cursor (maybe the semi transperant outline of a rotating cube, or maybe lines of a hypercube) or maybe having the cursor be user toggleable, whatever it ends up being.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Is it cheating to post some Let's Plays that other people have started of the current preview?

Rowdy Sandwich
Easy Mode's

/r/letsplay is an amazing tool for connecting with people, evidently. Networking is like, half of game development.

• Locked thread