Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I got a real understanding of what you are trying to convey to the player in that first level. Good job on it. I take it there's a tutorial level for each ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I'm really enjoying this. You're skills at teaching both gameplay and game-making mechanics are spot on.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
It doesn't have to be a character per say, but giving the cursor its own sprite will help with noticing it when you need to start using your abilities.

Think about how everyone complains about Armagrog (?)in the fact that it uses the default cursor. yes I know the game has more problems than just that, we're not here to discuss that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Geemer posted:

The prime example of this for me is Super Metroid's Wall Jump. You just end up trapped in a place with a bunch of animals showing off how to do it and you gotta figure it out yourself.

Or, you quit the game and make note to never go in that direction. Wall Jumping in Super Metroid still makes no sense to me and that was not a good way to teach a mechanic. Mostly because that has portions of the mechanic that can't be explained by showing (in order to actually wall jump, you need to first press against the wall and then hold the opposite direction and press jump again).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Gabriel Pope posted:

You say it like this is some sort of special trick but it always seemed perfectly intuitive to me :confused: Every step you just described is illustrated by the little gremlin guys and should naturally arise from any attempt to try to imitate them.

Not when you're 4 years old, which is when I first played it. :negative: But that's not a major move (in the normal game) so it's not required to be learned and is not required to actually beat the game. It's a neat trick to get extra stuff earlier in the game (aka sequence breaking)

God, Super Metroid is almost 25 years old. I don't think I've played it in the last decade or so.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Does the mouse cursor appear in-game? I'm just wondering if it's your recording software that's hiding the mouse.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Yes, it was in the first post. I said that afterwards I'd remove it from the video because it looks unsightly and will be replaced in the future with a custom cursor.

Welp, now I look like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I don't see that translating well to the size of block we've seen. The block as it is works fine.

• Locked thread