Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?
At work, I write various kinds of reports. At home, I write blog entries and similar stuff related to my hobbies. I don't really think of myself as a writer, but it is a large part of what I do at work, now that you made me think about it.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?
I think that I write more than my colleagues, especially my older ones, outside work. No matter if it's forum entries, blogs or whatever, it does mean that I get more practice. I do believe that it made me better at writing than a lot of people around me.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?
Basically every class in my main subject (Anthropology) used written essays instead of tests, all throughout my Bachelor and Masters studies. That meant writing a lot of text, sometimes as much as 100 pages/semester. We also read a lot of different kinds of texts, from very fluent narratives to French sociologists who can be tough to read. But again, posting on forums since I was a young teenager has also given me a lot of experience. I think the combination of these have helped me a lot, especially for my English, as I'm a non-native speaker but mainly stick to English websites.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?
When I wrote my first government report and it got good "reviews" from other agencies, that was fun. Or maybe when I got asked by a hobby magazine to write an article about a subject I enjoy. That was fun even though it didn't end up as good as I hoped it would.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?
We have an agency that works for transparency in official texts. Their aim is to change how officials write texts, so that they can be read by everyone. It sounds geeky as hell, but I think that it's a very important job, and I constantly question my own texts and try to make them easier to follow and understand. Lose the ego, and write with your reader's interest in focus.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?
Don't expect that you are right. Other colleagues are much worse at writing than me, but that doesn't mean that all my texts are perfect and don't need editing. Welcome feedback and realize that one day you will be the reactionary dinosaur in the room, crowing about how kids these days don't write properly. If you are a fiction writer this might be less important, I don't know.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread