Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?
Incredibly niche, novella-length sci-horror (and one slightly satirical sci-fi-type thing). Currently working on first novel-length piece and have taken my first steps into the world of editing.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?
I still view my writing as a hobby, it's just one that happens to bring in some extra pocket money. Being good at writing and able to express myself clearly is definitely an advantage in my day job though.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?
I've got a lot of experience in scientific and semi-technical writing, but if anything that's been more of a hindrance than a help. I think experience is crucial for writing, because it's the only way you'll develop your own style and learn to be aware of the kind of things you need to be paying attention to when writing a story. Education (as in specific, writers workshop-style education) can probably help you to avoid a few pitfalls, but there are some things you can only learn the hard way.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?
Lots of little moments really: when someone told me they'd just re-read one of my books for the 4th time within a few months of it coming out, when another writer told me they were jealous of some passages from my last book, that kind of thing. I generally try to avoid getting too prideful though; conceit leads to lovely writing. All I hope to accomplish is to write the best books I can. It is gratifying when other people 'get' it, though.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?
There are writers whose work I like (or envy!) but I wouldn't call them role models, because most (certainly not all) authors seem to be fairly obnoxious irl. I suppose there's a certain amount of arrogance and self-regard in deciding 'right, I shall put down my thoughts on paper and then present them to other people' in the first place. My all-time favourite writer is probably Ballard, for his vision, consistency, outsider's perspective, obsessions, and refusal to compromise. I also like Robertson Davies, Borges, Alan Moore (I know he's famous for comics, but the man's prose is sublime), Garcia Marquez, and, oh, just a host of others.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?
Once you've written your book, and rewritten it as many times as necessary, then had it edited, proofread it, formatted it etc. etc. you will want to publish it -- don't! Put it in a drawer for three months and work on something else instead. Then re-read it and do another edit; you'll be amazed what a difference it makes. Single best piece of advice I can give, and also the one that nobody ever, ever takes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread