Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neila Nuruodo
Jul 17, 2015
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing? Fanfiction and original fiction, always either fantasy or science fiction, at least biweekly, and for over ten years (or since the age of 15 if that's more helpful)

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other? My last answer hinted at this, but yes, I began writing as a hobby/passion, and have had (rather limited) success writing professionally. Frankly, playing in other people's playgrounds is the only thing that prompted me to make some of my own.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing? I have a BA in English, creative writing, but while my studies helped me hone and perfect my writing, if I hadn't had a passion for it for years, I would never have wanted to spend time studying it.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer? Hard question... recently I got my first email from a publisher saying "Yes, we want to publish your work." But compared to fanfiction reviews from authors I loved... it's only slightly more gratifying, I guess, and that only because I get money for the first thing.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not? Brandon Sanderson, hands down. First for his skill and facility in fantasy, second for his humility and accessibility, and lastly for his determination and drive.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be? If you want to write, read. May sound trite, but if so it's only because it's always been true. Also, ask yourself: how much do you want this? Are you willing to neglect the games you usually play, the forums you haunt, to spend whatever time necessary to succeed in the field? If you aren't, no biggie, it makes a great hobby, but don't plan your life around a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread