Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?
Formally, I'm a reporter who focuses on game and geek news content. I've been doing journalism freelance for a few years now.

For fun, I write contemporary fantasy novels and stories. I have my first full novel hitting Amazon on the 15th, but there's no way of knowing if it'll do well, so it's not a job quite yet. I've been writing fiction for fun practically since I could form words.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?
See above. But, yes. Even for most professionals, writing isn't really a job that pays much, so it has to be a labor of love if you ever want to reach above that.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?
A lot of my experience came from simply sitting down to do it, but obviously the journalism stuff required a bit more formality. I went to the University of Missouri for a few semesters (not as a writer, though I took several classes for it) before moving to L.A. I've done more local college stuff out here, and acted as Editor-in-Chief for my campus newspaper briefly.

The fiction stuff I've never had any training on. It's a common refrain from writers that to write well you have to keep writing a lot, and you have to read a lot. My education for novels was from reading a shitload of other novels growing up.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?
The first time I had my stories/photos approved for CNN usage. Putting that on a resume is really cool, and I look forward to chatting with the same editor every year for Comic-Con. Still waiting on a cool moment like that for fictional work, but I'm not giving up hope. :)

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?
Neil Gaiman is, by far, my favorite and a huge inspiration. Some people see him as being kind of same-y and pop culture-oriented, but I think it's fine. He's extremely knowledgeable about the work of writing, and honest in what he's trying to accomplish with his own books. I highly recommend any of the BBC Radio interviews he's done over the years.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?
Just write and only trust your own judgement. Everyone has opinions about how to write, what makes a great book, the market and whatnot, but it's not so simple. If it were, everyone would be following the same formula, and your books wouldn't be what you wanted them to be. Obviously feedback and some industry knowledge are important, but ultimately, you should be writing the stories you want to tell first and let that rest come once you've figured out the words you want on the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread