Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?

I primarily write short fiction, although I'm about a quarter of the way through my second first draft of a novel. I write daily, usually on my lunch break. It gives me thirty to forty-five minutes every weekday. I don't do anything but write new words in that time. I'll usually spend some time editing in the evening, although it's never a guaranteed thing. I've only been writing since February of last year or so. I used to write a lot (of bad, bad stories) when I was middle and high school. I wish I hadn't taken the decade off, but I'm glad to be back at it.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?

I definitely write as a hobby. I've only sold one story, and it was for token pay. I'd love to hit the point where I could support myself with writing, but that's not really my goal. I write things I'd like to read. If that gets me anywhere, great! If not, I still get a lot out of it.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?

Well, I did a lot of academic writing in school, and I do a lot of legal writing in my day job. It helped a lot with grammar, but it's not much help for story structure and character building. For those, the advice I've read on these forums has been helpful, but not more so than reading a ton. I carry a book with me everywhere, I usually have a book or short story collection going on the kindle app on my phone, and I listen to audiobooks on my commute. After that, just writing everyday is some of the best ways to learn. You make mistakes - a lot of mistakes - but you'll also figure out what works and what doesn't.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?

It was easily having my first story published. I'd been submitting for a little while, but I never expected to have it happen as quickly as it did.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?

I wouldn't really say I have one. There are authors I really admire, but I don't think about their work when thinking about my own.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?

If I had to limit it to just one piece of advice, it would probably to make time to write every day. I'd also find a way to add that you should read a ton, and don't be a shithead when it comes to critiques. If people are giving you feedback, you should be grateful, even if you don't agree with it, and there's always something to be learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread