Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Hat
Jul 22, 2007

It's all the rage.
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?
I started off writing fanfictions, way back when. Then in 2007, I did NaNoWriMo for the first time, creating my own world in the process. Fantasy. Short stories and novels.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?
Like someone above me said, I wouldn't consider myself a professional until I can quit my day job and just write. I don't consider it a hobby, though. It's more like an addiction and if I don't do it, I get bitchy. My first book came out back in July of this year (I've been meaning to make a separate post about that, actually), though I've had a couple short stories published, too. I don't have any delusions about fame and fortune but I'm trying my best.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?
No training per se. My mother was an English teacher and a huge influence on my reading and writing habits but my degree is in the sciences. The education would be helpful, I suppose, but I don't consider it necessary. Writing is art: the more you do it, the better you get.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?
Holding that book: the finished, physical manifestation of my imagination sitting in my hands. Nothing compares.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?
Anyone who can market effectively? I hate it and you're a god if you can both write and sell.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?
Don't put too much stock in advice from other writers (including this). Writing is simultaneously glorious and frustrating in that there is no right or wrong way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread