Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?

I primarily write short fiction, and more specifically I write bad fiction. I do it every day for some ungodly reason. I've been writing since I learned my ABCs, though none of it was salvageable until I was like 24 and started doing a weekly flash fiction contest (CC's own Thunderdome).

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?

I write unprofessionally, though I've been shopping a bunch of stories around to various magazines online. To call it a hobby would be inaccurate. Basically it's a part time job I don't get paid for ever. I'm going to die poor and alone.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?

None. There's no experience versus education dichotomy either, IMO. You just sit down and cobble whatever life you've lived into some nice words that people hopefully want to read. There are some good writers here in CC who don't have a formal education or tons of worldly experience.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?

lol at the concept of being proud of my own writing. I hope to accomplish the feat of making the dumb negative Nancy in my head shut up for 2 seconds.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?

I don't have a role model because everyone has a unique process for getting over the struggles unique to writing. I'm happy to read any/all advice given by published authors, but at the end of the day, for me, getting words on the page is a super personal and slightly clammy wrestling match. But I've been absolutely, pleasantly floored by so many authors across so many genres that it's hard to elevate any one style, approach, or career path over another.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?

write

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread