Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?

Mostly short stories and novels. Some flash fiction, but I really like novels and novellas. I participate in Nano and have every year for the past 11 years. I try to remember to at least poke words one to twice a week. I have in the most technical sense been writing stories since I was 7 or 8 but have probably been doing it on a semi-serious way since I was in middle school in the early to mid 90s. I also run a blog but that's 100% about doll poo poo and unless you care about said doll poo poo you aren't going to give an rear end.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?

I write "professionally" because I am formally unemployed. :eng99:

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?

The closest I have to education is my BA in English, which included a semester of working for a small home press. Any other training has been me just doing poo poo and either loving it up or succeeding. And reading. Go read poo poo.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?

Eh, I've had several prouds. None of them are the top over everything in the world. I could be humble, but eh. I get poo poo done. I guess maybe one of my proudest was my grandma reading my self published book and saying that it was good--and she's not one of those grandmas who lies about poo poo like that. Also in that fog of goodness was 165k+ in Nano, a personal best, on a book that is actually good but is taking time to work on.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?

*kanye shrug* I dunno. Probably predominantly writers of color, especially black ones, cause I'm one of em.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?

Put your rear end in the chair, set a timer for 25 minutes, and don't get up off your rear end and stop writing until the timer goes off. If you can't give yourself that at least once a day then you are going to slack the gently caress off. Set goals with tangible results if you don't reach them in time. Also, get a beta reader/buddy/fellow writer who does more than say "this is good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread